Hi everyone I have one or two questions regarding Paypal:

1. Is it possible to open a Paypal account while in Thailand with a credit/debit card issued in the UK with the Paypal account being linked to a say, Barclays UK business account?

2. If such is the case, can a Paypal account linked to a UK bank accept Steling USD and Euros?

3. Does anyone know of alternative services apart from Paypal, the likes of for example 2checkout.com where trading from Thailand should not pose any problems?

Thanks!

1. Is it possible to open a Paypal account while in Thailand with a credit/debit card issued in the UK with the Paypal account being linked to a say, Barclays UK business account?

2. If such is the case, can a Paypal account linked to a UK bank accept Steling USD and Euros?

3. Does anyone know of alternative services apart from Paypal, the likes of for example 2checkout.com where trading from Thailand should not pose any problems?

Thanks!

The last time I loaned money to a pal, I never got paid back. Don't do it! If they change the name to Payback, I'll reconsider! :o

Shouldn't be a problem operating a paypal account tied in with your UK bank account. I'm doing the same thing now with my paypal account tied in with my Swedish bank account. I'm getting paid in whatever currency the customer pays, which is later converted into Swedish kronor when I do a bank wire transfer. You then simply withdraw the cash using your ATM card in Thailand (or do a bank wire transfer to your Thai bank account).

Paypal is the most recognised payment provider out there. There are a few other ones such as 2checkout.com as you mentioned as well as www.payzip.com. However, these are generally more expensive than paypal so I would stick with them.

Tompa

I used Pay Pal a lot when I was in the US particularly with EBay purchases. I was on holiday here in Thailand and won a bid on an item. My account was verified in the US and I had a US shipping address. Since the bid was made from Thailand Pay Pal limited my account. Limited is exactly the same as suspended. BASTARDS! No amount of explanations could solve the problem. Their support is non existent.

Regarding Gary's case, I wonder if that's because one was to purchase something by transferring moneys out of an account by using Paypal while being in Thailand. Will it be a problem with people depositing moneys into an account of a Paypal member eho registered his Paypal membership in Thailand but linked to a British bank account? Does anybody know of any Thai companies using Paypal?

Cheers

I dont know when that happened to Gary but Thailand 'used' to be one of the blacklisted countries..

Logging into my European based account would get the account blocked and require my credit card statement refaxed to them.. Relatively painless but more of a hassle cause I was here..

That restriction could be avoided by having the 'international block' removed from your account but is not required anymore as Thailand is now allowed access..

I now use my paypal account in Thailand for US and UK transactions regularly without hitch.. I dont think paypal is a great service but considering how much attempted fraud happens you can understand thier reasoning..

I use paypal myself quite frequently. The best way for me in Thailand is to use my Paypal account as my Bank Account for purchases that I make with a credit card, or whenever I use an ATM.

In order to recieve the debt card that is linked to your paypal account. You first need a paypal recognized bank. After 6 months with a seller account, you can request the card. It is awesome; I've had mine for years. All my purchases I make, I get 1.5% cash back. That's because I did it a while ago. Now the max for new joins is 1% Cash Back. Plus I added my account to the money market and it compounds about 2% intrest monthly as well.

It's perfect for travelling anywhere around the world. By the way, ATM withdrawls are limited to 15,000 Baht per day in Thailand with the paypal Debt Card.

I use paypal myself quite frequently.  The best way for me in Thailand is to use my Paypal account as my Bank Account for purchases that I make with a credit card, or whenever I use an ATM.

In order to recieve the debt card that is linked to your paypal account.  You first need a paypal recognized bank.  After 6 months with a seller account, you can request the card.  It is awesome; I've had mine for years.  All my purchases I make, I get 1.5% cash back.  That's because I did it a while ago.  Now the max for new joins is 1% Cash Back.  Plus I added my account to the money market and it compounds about 2% intrest monthly as well.

It's perfect for travelling anywhere around the world.  By the way, ATM withdrawls are limited to 15,000 Baht per day in Thailand with the paypal Debt Card.

Can you get a Paypal Debit card on a Thai Paypal account?

I used Pay Pal a lot when I was in the US particularly with EBay purchases. I was on holiday here in Thailand and won a bid on an item. My account was verified in the US and I had a US shipping address. Since the bid was made from Thailand Pay Pal limited my account. Limited is exactly the same as suspended. BASTARDS! No amount of explanations could solve the problem. Their support is non existent.

This was automatic before when logging in from thailand or cambodia. Your IP address would trigger paypal to suspend your account unless you notified them before travelling. no longer a problem since last year when thailand became a semi trusted country in paypal's eyes.

you can receive any of the major currencies and also convert any balances to different currencies at any time.

i believe the debit card won't be sent unless it is a US registered paypal account.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p...y_debit-outside

I use paypal myself quite frequently.  The best way for me in Thailand is to use my Paypal account as my Bank Account for purchases that I make with a credit card, or whenever I use an ATM.

In order to recieve the debt card that is linked to your paypal account.  You first need a paypal recognized bank.  After 6 months with a seller account, you can request the card.  It is awesome; I've had mine for years.  All my purchases I make, I get 1.5% cash back.  That's because I did it a while ago.  Now the max for new joins is 1% Cash Back.  Plus I added my account to the money market and it compounds about 2% intrest monthly as well.

It's perfect for travelling anywhere around the world.  By the way, ATM withdrawls are limited to 15,000 Baht per day in Thailand with the paypal Debt Card.

As far as I know, no you can't. You can't even withdraw to a Thai bank account. All you can do is send it to another paypal user.

I just had my first small problem w/ my Pay Pal acct.

I sent an E mail to them via:

a ) the "Help" button in top right corner.

b )Then in next window go to bottom, left side and click "Contact us"

c )Then use the "Customer Service " option.

d )Under "choose a topic" I picked one at random since none applied.

To my amazement I had a reply in my Mail Box with in miinutes.

After about 4 E Mails back and forth the problem was resolved

Elapsed time..less than 20 min.

I suggest contacting them in this manner with questions regarding your account.

Cant tell you if this works if you are NOT a member with an account.

• 2 months later...

To add a credit/debit card to a Thai Paypal account, it's billing address must be in Thailand. The field on the form cannot be changed.

Have any farangs verified their Thai paypal account? And if so, what type of card did you use to do it and is the billing address in Thailand?

thanks!

To add a credit/debit card to a Thai Paypal account, it's billing address must be in Thailand. The field on the form cannot be changed.

Have any farangs verified their Thai paypal account? And if so, what type of card did you use to do it and is the billing address in Thailand?

thanks!

I verified my account using my Babngkok bank credit card as well as another using a Citi Bank one. I am still awaiting if I can sned money from my pay pal account to my UK bank account.

TAF

thanks!

I verified my account using my Babngkok bank credit card as well as another using a Citi Bank one. I am still awaiting if I can sned money from my pay pal account to my UK bank account.

TAF

Have you got a special request with them to do send it direct to a UK bank account? As far as I can see today you can still only send funds directly to a USA bank account. But you could open a UK Paypal account and get it to your UK bank via that as long as the money is sent for goods, services etc. and not "quasi-cash".

thanks!

TAF

Have you got a special request with them to do send it direct to a UK bank account? As far as I can see today you can still only send funds directly to a USA bank account. But you could open a UK Paypal account and get it to your UK bank via that as long as the money is sent for goods, services etc. and not "quasi-cash".

I have not got a special request. As I understood it, was that I can add my UK account to my pay pal account and transfer it that way :o Maybe I am wrong?

I will try though.

Can I open a UK account using my Thai credit card?

TP:

Lloyds TSB (with whom I bank) consider their Gurnsey branch to be a UK bank - just offshore UK banking.

I have still to work out why Lloyds TSB Gurnsey service Asia while Jersey is for the USA and Middle-East. If anyone can answer that, I would be interested to know.

SM

ALSO: You can use Lloyds TSB Gurnsey for PayPal ( :o I know that to be true)

Edited by Sumitr Man

TP:

Lloyds TSB (with whom I bank) consider their Gurnsey branch to be a UK bank - just offshore UK banking. 

I have still to work out why Lloyds TSB Gurnsey service Asia while Jersey is for the USA and Middle-East.  If anyone can answer that, I would be interested to know.

SM

ALSO: You can use Lloyds TSB Gurnsey for PayPal ( :o I know that to be true)

I Bank with HSBC in Jersy, will let others know if I can register through them,

Cheers

TP

straight from paypal :o

Withdrawals - All non-U.S. members may withdraw funds to a U.S. bank account. Members in the following countries may withdraw funds to a local bank account: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Thanks!

ikobo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Try https://www.nochex.com/

No charge backs like Paypal, buyers dont need to register an account like Paypal and its British, unlike Paypal.

In the not too distant future you will be able to link a Thai account to a Thai bank and Card. Do not ask me when but, I was told this by a PayPal employee over the phone recently, as I got my account to work after 6 months of problems. Now I am verified and happy with money going into my new US accounts.

Edited by mouse