Made A Mess Of The Airport

chivo

so thailand hired a world class architecture firm to design a cohesive new airport...

but have u see what they have slowly been doing to it?

adding this and that, putting up crappy office wall partitions, hand lettered signs, sun umbrellas over the immigration stations, carpeting here and there...

imagine a statue like the 'David'

then someone adds a hat, someone says the statue is too bland, so they add jewelry, clothes, then paint it life like color...

the airport is becoming an ugly mess...

so thailand hired a world class architecture firm to design a cohesive new airport...

adding this and that, putting up crappy office wall partitions, hand lettered signs, sun umbrellas over the immigration stations, carpeting here and there...

then someone adds a hat, someone says the statue is too bland, so they add jewelry, clothes, then paint it life like color...

It was already a big mess before it was opened. Large floor space in the restricted area was partition off to increase shop space, and forcing immigration, baggage claim and customs areas onto the reception area. As a result, you now have a small reception area, smaller than that of Don Muang.

I was out there last night to pick up a friend. I was rather impressed. They seem to have gotten rid of a lot of the mafia (or at least cooled them down), things were much more civil and organized than other trips.

....Or maybe it was because I was going there, instead of flying in, and having the hassle of immigration, luggage etc.

The thing that I don't like about the airport is that it so noisy. I will have to admit that they can start adding things until it gets absolutely tacky.

I was also impressed with the trip out there on the Kanchanapisek expressway. Very fast and efficient. I almost thought I was in a Western developed country.

AHH lot to say from my side about swampy.

just went yesterday to airport,i realy dint notice all these changes,

for me i go airport to travell(in and out) i just care for service and convinience and not decoration.

instade of spending money on rubbish decor they should spend on staff training,

atleast on english learning.

no mater what question i ask to any of the staff they just dont know and pass my query to somone else.

when these idiots will learn?

babuhavas

The worst changes are in the departure hall access. For a long time, certain doors have been closed, preventing drect access to your relevant check-in desk.

Now, since at least August (I never used the airport betw 10/08 and 08/09), about half the length of the drop-off parking for taxis is closed off by barriers. You either have to get off right at the beginning of the terminal or at the far end. Idiotic!

In Thailand you get used to building users/managers changing things from the original design, ad hoc, to suit their own purposes, quite often stupidly in terms of public usability. This one is my choice for worst ever example.

Earlier this year I checked in for a flight to Malaysia. When they

X-rayed my baggage, they discovered a very small knife in my toilet bag about

which I had completely forgotten. Can not go on plane like that

OK, I said keep it here in a office, I collect it on the way back. Can not.

OK, give it to staff-security, I collect it at destination. Can not.

And since they managed to place ca. 1 mile of shops between baggage check in and X-ray, there is no way of going back to check in the baggage like I did years ago in an other airport.

So, by extortion, either throw the item away or do not fly.

After getting quite pi@#ed off I told them to cancel the flight.

I suppose this is called customer service around here. It makes flying an utter joy

one tries to avoid at all costs whenever possible.

And since they managed to place ca. 1 mile of shops between baggage check in and X-ray, there is no way of going back to check in the baggage like I did years ago in an other airport.

I suppose this is called customer service around here. It makes flying an utter joy

Don't blame Swampy for this one it is the same at every airport - Prohibited items including liquids over 100ml get destroyed -no other options. It is international regulation. Imagine how long the lines would be if everyone had to get a receipt to reclaim the little knife they forgot they were carrying.

I was there a few days ago, if anything it seems to be getting better, and is far better than terminal 3 at Heathrow

How can you say that?

Terminal 3 departure lounge bar is my favourite place in the UK. :)

Ok; so tear down the rest of that boghole of a terminal and rebuild it around the bar!

Nothing wrong with adding a bit of colour, beats all the bland concrete and glass.

The airport as designed must be one of the least attractive building interiors ever built. Nothing they do could ever make it worse. Every time I look up at the roof of the terminal building I wonder at what an over-engineered mess of oddly shaped steelwork it is. It flies in the face of contemporary design which is for simple clean lines.

I was there a few days ago, if anything it seems to be getting better, and is far better than terminal 3 at Heathrow

How can you say that?

Terminal 3 departure lounge bar is my favourite place in the UK. :D

Ok; so tear down the rest of that boghole of a terminal and rebuild it around the bar!

Used to be called O"Neals Bar...right old pig sty but has now been redone by some other crowd...bit better but still?? :)

Maybe time for Weatherforks. to move in.....

Incid at Suwani....Magic Bar is OK ...40bt a Heine. :D

Geebus, it musta been a rare knife made from unobtainium to be willing to cancel a flight over.

Used to be called O"Neals Bar...right old pig sty but has now been redone by some other crowd...bit better but still?? :)

I gave up on that place years ago. Now I use the champagne/seafood bar. Sells beer at £3.50 or so for a bottle. No more expensive than beers O'Neills serves up.

Don't be tempted by the champers tho...poor quality at exorbitant prices....the seafood is usually decent but pricey.

Yawn to the topic.

It's just an airport. A place to fly into and spend about an hour, and a place to fly out of and spend 2-3 hours.

I'm not aware of any airport that people don't complain about. Try Denver, LAX, Minnepaolis-St. Paul, Detroit, Orlando, Tampa, Washington National, Salt Lake City, Dulles International, Narita, KL, Jakarta, and yes, even Changi. Some have some fans, but all are criticized.

It's JUST an airport.

It's JUST an airport.

Thats the attitude that got Thailand into so much difficulty last year.

When the old ladies with the hand clappers came running, the security forces at the airport were seen running and yelling, "Yikes, let em have it......its JUST an airport" :)

Am I right in saying there are no escalators open to the public down to the ground level where the public taxis are. If so this is bad planning. Only option is a very slow often full lift.

It's not that bad yet, there is big wide escalator or more specific one of these things without steps that you can enter with the trollies. Right smack in the middle. Just follow the public taxi signs.

Yawn to the topic.

It's just an airport. A place to fly into and spend about an hour, and a place to fly out of and spend 2-3 hours.

I'm not aware of any airport that people don't complain about. Try Denver, LAX, Minnepaolis-St. Paul, Detroit, Orlando, Tampa, Washington National, Salt Lake City, Dulles International, Narita, KL, Jakarta, and yes, even Changi. Some have some fans, but all are criticized.

It's JUST an airport.

The Denver airport is halfway to Kansas but otherwise not too bad, LAX doesn't have a connection between the intl and the domestics terminals, seattle has the worst system of trains I have ever seen, Narita is dull as ditchwater.

Now McCarran, on the other hand, has slot machines at the gates. Can't beat that for a good airport :)

Thats what Swampy needs, forget more travellators, more elevators and eliminating the touts. Slot machines :D

Yawn to the topic.

It's JUST an airport.

The Denver airport is halfway to Kansas but otherwise not too bad, LAX doesn't have a connection between the intl and the domestics terminals, seattle has the worst system of trains I have ever seen, Narita is dull as ditchwater.

Now McCarran, on the other hand, has slot machines at the gates. Can't beat that for a good airport :)

Thats what Swampy needs, forget more travellators, more elevators and eliminating the touts. Slot machines :D

Aren't the throw in your loose change charity bins not the same thing!!!! :D