Sadao Crossing Today

Did the minibus from Penang to Hat Yai today (15 day entry permit).

After entering Thailand I realized the driver did not ask for the 10b fee. Usually the drivers would collect it as we got off to go through Thai immigration. Never really did know if it was baksheesh for authorities or the drivers just getting a little something for themselves. They used to collect this from everybody, so I know it wasn't a special farang-only fee.

Also conspicuous in its absence was a complete lack of mention of H1N1. No form, no questions, no flyers, nothing. Quite a contrast to a few months when, while standing on the immigration line to enter Indonesia, a woman in a medical uniform just walked up and stuck a thermometer in my ear. (NOTE: no typo, the last word in the previous sentence does not begin with 'r') :)

Edited by bendejo

Actually that fee was specifically for foreigners in my experience from some years ago - they would not ask my Thai wife and I for it but would all others on the bus - and they would pay it to Immigration. I did have a Thai officer refuse to stamp me in when driver avoided him on a turnaround from Hat Yai - I was required to go into office and fill out a transportation report in duplicate as punishment. The officers in office were very embarrassed and helped me fill the forms out and made a copy.

i crossed the durn-nork into malaysia about 4 times during the last two weeks....

driving my own vehicle though....

there was no one asking for anything extra....

perhaps i was just lucky.... lol

many years ago, you just folded some malay or thai notes and stuck them in between your passport pages....

to facilitate the processes.... both at the immigration and at the customs office.... lol

almost all the chinese businessmen coming and going always did that so they would not be held up....

Edited by nakachalet

OK, the only times I have paid the 10 Baht fee is when going on minibus Hat Yai-Penang.

This fee is for Thai registered vehicles and is per passenger

The fee is RM 1 for each person and free for the car.

Source: Thaivisa.com

PS.

The tooth ferry is working in Thailand without a WP

DS.

Edited by PoorSucker

not meant to contest thaivisa or others' personal experiences....

the registration fee for thai vehicle crossing into malaysia and spore is valid for one month and is paid at the border only once to a supposedly insurance company to assure that in case of accident, there would be some sort of coverage....

the additional money extracted from passengers probably for other purposes.... facilitating fee for some officers perhaps? lol

what do i know.... i am only a working and sometime walking across the border man.... lol