Long Stay - Fast Internet Needed

Hi. First post, so apologies if dumb questions.

Any suggestions for a good bungalow/budget hotel accommodation within reasonable walking distance of the lamai internet centre (sawadee) - or any other reliable fast internet connection.

I work from home online and I'm considering moving out to Samui or somewhere similar (Koh Tao, Pha Ngan or Phuket maybe) for a few months as a working holiday. However, due to the nature of my work I need a reliable, fast internet connection for at least 7 hours per day. Also need tips on places that will negotiate cheaper rates for long stay.

I'm trying to do it on a reasonably modest budget but would still like western toilets, reasonably close to a beach etc. If I could find a reliable source of wireless internet (I have a laptop), much better.

Cheers,

Stringer

Try Sand and Sea. That's fairly close. The IT Complex is great though. Used it a number of times to work and found that there were plenty of internet gurus in there banging out on their affiliate sites, living the life.

Enjoy

Cheers.

There are a few places that seem a bit closer, but must confess I have no idea of scale on the island - I assume almost anywhere on lamai or the southern end of Chaweng must be reasonably accessible to the IT facility. Will check it out tho, thanks.

Stringer

Try Sand and Sea. That's fairly close. The IT Complex is great though. Used it a number of times to work and found that there were plenty of internet gurus in there banging out on their affiliate sites, living the life.

Enjoy

As I understand,as long as you live close to the ring road , you can connect to TOT ADSL.It all depends on your budget Re accomodation.My wife & I rent a 2 bedroom bungalow near the water,brand new furnished , until house is built for 14,000.00 a month.You can get cheaper but you will be further away from the sea.

At the moment you can negotiate long term at favourable rate as it is low seaon.

As I understand,as long as you live close to the ring road , you can connect to TOT ADSL.It all depends on your budget Re accomodation.My wife & I rent a 2 bedroom bungalow near the water,brand new furnished , until house is built for 14,000.00 a month.You can get cheaper but you will be further away from the sea.

At the moment you can negotiate long term at favourable rate as it is low seaon.

Much appreciated, Rooo.

14,000 a month, btw? Wow. I'm thinking you meant per night, or even per week, that's incredibly low. Or is there a zero or two missing? I'm willing to pay considerably more to get as many comforts and conveniences and to be as close to the beach as I can, but if I can get something decent cheaper, all the better!

Stringer,

I rent a house almost on the beach for 8000 a month. It has 1 bedroom, bathroom, kitchen,living room and a large garden. 2 bedroom is around 11.000 baht a month.

Am i right this will be your first visit to Thailand? I suspect so because you reactions about the price.

You are right it is very cheap, but for a normal Thai person it is almost 2-3 times a monthly salary. So actually it is very expensive.

I am working from my house on my websites. I use a normal dialup line. It is a little slow but still ok.

Problem is that working here is difficult, you have to have a lot of dicipline. If you sit behind your computer and you hear the wind, waves. See people walk on the beach, you think "what the heck, i first go swim then i will work". Of course after your swim you are hungry, so you go out to eat thinking when i get back i can work. I am married, but beware of the girls. :D They want you and your money. So you go home: scenario A Alone or B with company

scenario A: You feel sleepy because you swam, ate and maybe drank a litlle. Oeps still have to work. Ah tomorrow will be ok. :D:o:D

scenario B: You feel sleepy because you swam, ate and maybe drank a little too much. Oeps still have to work. You HAVE to work. The Bedroom olympics type. Next day you wake up 14:00 with a headache

If you can do scenario A, you'll be fine, i have seen a few with the same idea as you fall into scenario B. They had a great time for 3 months and then had to go home.

Thailand and especially an island will do that to you.

And while it is a cheap country you still can spend a lot of money very easy.

But if you have the dicipline and the strength to ignore the (wrong) female attention, you will be ok.

Before you get here, get a 60 day tourist visa. After that you have to do a visa run to the border every 30 days. Takes about 12-15 hours and will cost around 1500 baht. This is to Ranong and the burmese border which is the closest from Koh Samui.

If you want to stay longer, get married or wait until your 50 so you can retire.

Have a great, but still a productive time in Koh Samui.

Jean,I will be staying in Chaweng for about 5 days in early May(Im the one who posted about Coco's Blues Bar) What an you reccomend for decent accommodations for say,700 baht or so a night? Someplace simple, with AC.. quiet and clean,is all that really matters. (Its my understanding that the place we stayed at few years ago,Chaweng Cove,is long gone...)

Kuhn Jean, Am I right in assuming you live between Hua Thanon & Lamai ,on the sea side? If so there is some new bungalows being built near you.There is also the ones on the hill,wooden structures with great ocean views.From what I hear they are all one bedroom ,open plan set up.

Can't agree more with you about discipline,very hard to maintain lmao.

Kuhn Jean, Am I right in assuming you live between Hua Thanon & Lamai ,on the sea side? If so there is some new bungalows being built near you.There is also the ones on the hill,wooden structures with great ocean views.From what I hear they are all one bedroom ,open plan set up.

Can't agree more with you about discipline,very hard to maintain lmao.

Yes you are right. The ones on the hill look great but with 2 small children it would be very hazardous. I prefere a garden.

About the discipline, i takes a while to settle and until the surroundings are "normal". If like the OP you are here a few months i think he can forget about getting work done. Better to move over here and accept that the first months will be very hard to get things done. After that routine comes back and you will be able to function again. If you leave the stressy things at home you will even function better. :o

To get back on topic. There are many many places for rent. Also near ITC. Just come over here and don't worry about accomodation, they are plentiful. And no high season so many are free.

cheers Khun Jean - I have very tight deadlines, so I hope that will be all the discipline I need! Can't wait to get out there.

btw, have seen a few hotels advertising wireless internet access on Phuket and in Samui - anybody tried wireless in a hotel over here? no point booking a month and then finding it's useless!

Ta!

Lamai Wanta in Lamai , has wireless internet,works fantastic.TOT installed the the equipment under the water tower.Close to the beach , all your problems answered. :o

Sorry forgot to add , if you want phone line talk to owners,or contact TOT.You will have to have a Thai person put it in their name if you do not have company.

The cost is BHT 3,500 rental per month is around BHT 100 your call cost is BHT 3 per call ,local that is with no time limit.To connect to ADSL depends on speed 256 is BHT 500 a month I think. Good Luck.

Lamai Wanta in Lamai ,  has wireless internet,works fantastic.TOT installed the the equipment under the water tower.Close to the beach , all your problems answered. :o

Cheers Rooo - checked out the site, didn't say anything about internet, but will check it out when I get there.

would I need a telephone line installed at Lamai Wanta to get the wireless internet tho?

Hey Khun

What is it like down in Hua Thanon? What is going on there these days? Is it developing like crazy like up north or is it a little more remote and chilled?

Is the beach down there nice at all? I am considering moving down that way. Want a decent house on the hills sort of thing. Is it a nice place for that?

Stringer, Why would you need a phone line to get wireless ? The person to ask for when you call is Doctor Pongsak he will explain it to you.

Cheers.

Hi Rooo. sorry, maybe a mismatch on the q/a there. I was replying to this bit:

'Sorry forgot to add , if you want phone line talk to owners,or contact TOT.You will have to have a Thai person put it in their name if you do not have company.

The cost is BHT 3,500 rental per month is around BHT 100 your call cost is BHT 3 per call ,local that is with no time limit.To connect to ADSL depends on speed 256 is BHT 500 a month I think. Good Luck.'

I'm not sure if I'll be around long enough to bother with getting a place where I'll get a phone line, but Lamai Wanta looks good. You meant Doctor Pongsak is the man to speak to at Wanta, I take it?

Also, you mentioned 1 bedroom on the water near Huathanon temple - not sure where you mean, but I'll take a look around when I get there.

And, much thanx to all you chaps for your helpful replies :o

• 2 months later...