Thai Cigarettes .... Bad!

CrossBones

Everytime I go to Thailand i buy cigarettes there. Usually LM. Marlboro Lights or Benson & Hedges and have tried other brands. Within a few days I get a terrible cough and hack up loads of flem.

When I return to Australia and smoke local brands here the cough goes away.

Also duty free tobacco and cigarettes bought in King Power Duty Free Bangkok are also terrible, including the brands not sold in local shops in Thailand like Camel and Lucky Strike.

This leads me to believe the Thais are putting Extra poisonous shit in their cigarettes, possibly to make people die quicker or for some other reason.

I thought it might be a mixture of the poor air quality and the cigarettes in Thailand, but when I take Thai cigarettes home I still have the cough.

From now on I will bring Australian cigarettes to Thailand to smoke even though they are 5 times the price.

Has anyone else experienced this????

Everytime I go to Thailand i buy cigarettes there. Usually LM. Marlboro Lights or Benson & Hedges and have tried other brands. Within a few days I get a terrible cough and hack up loads of flem.

Also duty free tobacco and cigarettes bought in King Power Duty Free Bangkok are also terrible, including the brands not sold in local shops in Thailand like Camel and Lucky Strike.

This leads me to believe the Thais are putting Extra poisonous shit in their cigarettes, possibly to make people die quicker or for some other reason.

I thought it might be a mixture of the poor air quality and the cigarettes in Thailand, but when I take Thai cigarettes home I still have the cough.

From now on I will bring Australian cigarettes to Thailand to smoke even though they are 5 times the price.

I think you should learn a little about how cigarettes are made and blends are put together to match a cost before accusing people of putting extra "poisonous" stuff into cigarettes.

Australian cigarettes are a completely different "blend" style to those in Thailand. That is why you aren't used to them.

I think you should learn a little about how cigarettes are made and blends are put together to match a cost before accusing people of putting extra "poisonous" stuff into cigarettes.

Australian cigarettes are a completely different "blend" style to those in Thailand. That is why you aren't used to them.

I am talking about the same brands for example marlboro bought in australia or singapore irritate my lungs and throat much less than those bought in Thailand. Drum tobacco bought in King Power duty free Bangkok is more of an irritant than Drum tobacco bought overseas. I have found the same with B&H and other brands.

I am talking about the same brands for example marlboro bought in australia or singapore irritate my lungs and throat much less than those bought in Thailand. Drum tobacco bought in King Power duty free Bangkok is more of an irritant than Drum tobacco bought overseas. I have found the same with B&H and other brands.

If you read the pack you will see in English that the international brands aren't even made in Thailand. For example Marrlboro are usually from the Philippines although I have also seen them from Indonesia and Malaysia.The same seems to apply to other Phillip Morris brands such as LM. Don't be misled by the Thai script on the pack. I presume that if you order enough you can email a health warning written in hieroglyphics to PM and they will print it on the pack for you! I remember a few years back that imported cigarettes (apart from grey market) and all cigarette advertising were banned in Thailand. Then eventually the the US forced Thailand into allowing imported cigs in citing the GAT Treaty free trade obligations (and adverts were allowed too for a while if I remember correctly) So who is poisoning who?

Marlboro blended for the South East Asian market is completely different from the Australian market. It is also different from the US, European, Eastern block. Australian blends are completely different from those in most other parts of the world because of historically high import duties on tobacco. Making cigarettes isn't like making Coca-Cola. Same brand, different costs and different tastes, different packaging, different nicotine limits, different storage facilities, different shelf life, different humidity........... for different markets. Import duties, export duties, disposable income, tax rates, all contribute to changing the cost of the cigarette. No point blending a Marlboro for Thailand that comes out at 200 baht a pack after tax.

Duty free's are often blended differently because they are simply there to get people to maintain their brand choice on a 2 week trip so are often of lower quality. Drum for duty free is likely to be a different blend from that which you are used to.

Pure and simple.

Edited by Thai at Heart

yep, cigarettes are a huge cocktals of differents toxins and not only nicotine.

it is that "aren't used to them" effect.

OP just describes the normal symptoms how a body react if confronted with cigarettes for the first time.

most smokers stick to 'their' brand, smoking always the same. so your body, your metabolism learned to handle that special toxin cocktail. is getting used to them. without trigger an alarm, sending out some symptoms, like headache, sore throat or your cough. to signalise: Attention!: intake of harmful substances.

back home, years ago, i sticked to and smoked some niche brand, some kind of 'hip' brand, not available everywhere, but only on selected stores and locations.

for a country side trip over the weekend , or night out tour to different clubs, i had to prepare and stock up. because to switch for a day to another brand, or in the middle of the night at the party would cause exatly the same problems OP describes.

then is there also the problem with 'fake' brands, available across the border or 'black' markets. that is very low grade tobacco and maybe can contain some industrial waste or some sh*t like shredded vulcanised rubber.

Use (Take) 'Flemex' tablets , they take care of that sort of problem , I used to suffer with that problem in BKK so that is what I found worked , moving to Cambodia I left the problem in BKK , I also smoke LM , mine are manufactured in Switzeland , only cost $4.50 us A CARTON here , let the good times roll .

I reccomend stopping smoking - the hacking cough and the phlegm vanish.

This leads me to believe the Thais are putting Extra poisonous shit in their cigarettes, possibly to make people die quicker

Yes, the companies are intentionally trying to kill their customers faster

Is that a fact ? Can you please give the scource for that vital information ?

get a life and stop smoking

I reccomend stopping smoking - the hacking cough and the phlegm vanish.

Double that. :)

As a recent ex smoker from over 25 years of the nicotine demon on my back....

Forget cigarettes go to Boots/PF drugstore in Central and buy over the counter a box of Quomen tablets 2000baht (zyban in other countries) it took me 3/4 of a box and i have been clean for 2 months...

Hacking up brown flecks in a big ball of pleghm in the morning and watching the 25 years of gunk coming up is satisfying in the morning......

Cigarettes make you physically and mentally weak but you will not know this until you quit ;-)

I am a smoker but today i choose not to smoke! and no coughing or hacking!

My exercise levels have increased too as now i can exercise till my muscles are fatigued and not my lungs hurting... cold water and beer have never tasted better....

Believe everything you read about food tasting better! it was water and beer that surprised me..the sharp fresh taste in my tongue......slurp....aaahhhh ...

Anyway, i always smoked the LM menthol here as the Marlborro were always to strong a taste for enjoyable smoking....back home i used rolling baccy.....

give it up man........

the ex smoker..nothing worse and i love it....

After giving up smoking 18 years ago, I kept on expelling phlegm for the next two months. What used to be an arduous 3 floor climb became much easier. I gained weight but have shed it since then because I was now able to exercise more.

My addiction to tobacco I started with pipe tobacco. When I ran out of pipe tobacco, cigarrettes were the easiest substitute to get my fix. I had tried quitting cold turkey many times before. My last cold turkey was 18 years ago. I have not smoked a cigarrette since then.

Smoking is an addiction. I am glad I have been able to quit. Perhaps, I was more determined to quit because my wife was pregnant with my first child. That was my gift to him and my second son.

I think it is quite true that the blends of tobacco used in the same brand of cigarette is different in different markets. I would be interesting th know what are the facts about this, if the company would ever reveal such information. For sure, many American and British cigarettes are not the same purchased in SE Asia as those in the home market. In addition, the use of pesticides and other additives, etc is also not likely to be as regulated as back home. I have had better luck with those from the duty free shops, but even those seem to not be always the same as ones from the original market country. Dunhill is an example.

Have you tried simply quitting that will solve the problem.

I am guessing that it is another anti-Farang issue by poisoning the cigarettes of the Farangs. :)

LoL! I guess you haven't tried the Thai brands yet! Krung Thip (I think?) is nasty, and is about the same as the Cambodian copies you can buy at the border.

From what I've heard about regional production in S.E.A., most of the tobacco is grown in Myanmar, and packaged in various other ASEAN countries. I don't know if it's true, but I imagine that they aren't too strict about what is used as a herbicide or pesticide there, and those chemicals are what you're smoking.

I am guessing that it is another anti-Farang issue by poisoning the cigarettes of the Farangs. :D

You're right Mr T,

Another nail in the coffin for Thailand, they're all out to get us. :)

And also to get us to pay for it meanwhile, quite clever really. :D

If you read the pack you will see in English that the international brands aren't even made in Thailand. For example Marrlboro are usually from the Philippines although I have also seen them from Indonesia and Malaysia.The same seems to apply to other Phillip Morris brands such as LM. Don't be misled by the Thai script on the pack. I presume that if you order enough you can email a health warning written in hieroglyphics to PM and they will print it on the pack for you! I remember a few years back that imported cigarettes (apart from grey market) and all cigarette advertising were banned in Thailand. Then eventually the the US forced Thailand into allowing imported cigs in citing the GAT Treaty free trade obligations (and adverts were allowed too for a while if I remember correctly) So who is poisoning who?

One of the heavy hitters against the bans on tobacco advertising and other efforts undertaken, has been, drum roll please, Germany. The USA is a small player in the international tobacco market. China and India are many times bigger. If you add in the EU's investment in Brazil and Africa, the EU is much bigger than the USA. Don't you remember when the Germans and other EU members were pushing tobacco interests in Thailand and other countries, saying cutting back on the trade was a curtailment of general trade? It wasn't the Americans.

The world's no.2 ranked tobacco company is UK based BAT. Although it manufactures in the UK, almost all of it is exported to countries like Thailand. The no.1 company is Chinas' national monopoly and no.3 is Japan Tobacco which also has a big market share in SE Asia. No. 4 in the world is another UK based company, Imperial tobacco.

Although US based Altria Brands Philip Morris is prominent with its Marlboro brands, it isn't that big a player on the international stage. The EU & Japanese tobacco interests tobacco companies have bigger investments in Thailand.

I agree with you otherwise :)

You are correct on your assumption that ciggies made for sale Thailand are of a lower quality, a mate who worked for a manufacturer confirmed that due to the Thai tobacco monopoly, the quality of the tobacco used was the inferior shag (stems and wastes of the tobacco leaf) and the grades were much lower often D quality and grown in Africa, also the additives (i.e. to make them burn faster) were in greater proportions than other countries. Essentially it means greater profits and with the monopoly what choice does the average Thai smoker have. I'm often amazed when I go to a tobbaconist back home at the extent and variety of choices they offer, you don't see establishments like that here. Sometimes the availability of choice makes manufacturuers lift their game.