Mri Scan?

Tom Kagai

I've been getting some very, very bad lower back pains recently and I want to get them checked out.

I had x-rays when I was back in England, where they also looked for kidney stones as the intense pain is in that region. I came away no better, and none the wiser.

I would really like to get it thoroughly checked out and a friend suggested that an MRI scan is what's needed.

Can anyone recommend where I can go in order to follow this up and roughly what a thorough examination and scan should cost. Don't really want to pay falang rate if I can help it.

Thanks in advance. :o

We have paid 10,000 baht for spine MRI at government hospital last two times. They are not cheap as equipment is a very high ticket item. This was to look at a specific area identified from x-ray so not sure if larger area would increase expense. Believe private hospitals are close to the same price range.

We have paid 10,000 baht for spine MRI at government hospital last two times.  They are not cheap as equipment is a very high ticket item.  This was to look at a specific area identified from x-ray so not sure if larger area would increase expense.  Believe private hospitals are close to the same price range.

Thanks Lopburi3, that's good to know. Back in the UK I would be looking at circa. five times that so this is definitely my best option. I will find a good English speaking Doctor and get an initial diagnosis and x-ray, and go from there.

Thanks again.

K.W.had an MRI scan at our local N.H.S. Hospital last year(Chase Farm,Enfield)N.London.

No problem making appointment,good advice with positive outcome and errr...all FREE.

I've been getting some very, very bad lower back pains recently and I want to get them checked out.

I had x-rays when I was back in England, where they also looked for kidney stones as the intense pain is in that region. I came away no better, and none the wiser.

I would really like to get it thoroughly checked out and a friend suggested that an MRI scan is what's needed.

Can anyone recommend where I can go in order to follow this up and roughly what a thorough examination and scan should cost. Don't really want to pay falang rate if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.  :o

But experiencing weight loss in the wallet. :D

A doctor confirmed it was a kidney problem or it's your opinion? Does the pain go away when you massage your lower back? I used to think that my pain from side to side (or sometimes only one side) was a kidney problem until I realized that a three-minute massage with Chinese oil could relieve the pain... It was a back problem!

A doctor confirmed it was a kidney problem or it's your opinion? Does the pain go away when you massage your lower back? I used to think that my pain from side to side (or sometimes only one side) was a kidney problem until I realized that a three-minute massage with Chinese oil could relieve the pain... It was a back problem!

Not really sure. Massage ALWAYS makes me feel fab., but the pains come right on back. I had x-rays in the UK to see if there was any sign of kidney stones and got the all-clear. I kind of figured that an MRI scan would enable a thorough diagnosis instead of "could be this, might be that" that I've been getting from Doc's in the UK. I'm going to enquire after an MRI scan of the lumbar region and see what they say. It's too pricey in the UK and I'm not an urgent enough case for NHS.

Thanks for you tips.

Had an MRI scan at Bumrungrad Hospital 2 weeks ago...abdominal...about 14000baht in total. Even here it can take a few days to get in as its very busy (I did it at midnight). Charge will vary depending on the various trace elements they inject into you...maybe you should have an abdominal ultrasound first - cheaper (at Bumrungrad about 3500 baht, takes half an hour).

Be careful tho' - you can blow a lot of money very quickly at that place. They'll give you a 'quote' before the procedure if you ask.

Had an MRI scan at Bumrungrad Hospital 2 weeks ago...abdominal...about 14000baht in total. Even here it can take a few days to get in as its very busy (I did it at midnight). Charge will vary depending on the various trace elements they inject into you...maybe you should have an abdominal ultrasound first - cheaper (at Bumrungrad about 3500 baht, takes half an hour).

Be careful tho' - you can blow a lot of money very quickly at that place. They'll give you a 'quote' before the procedure if you ask.

Hi,

Did you find their diagnosis to be accurate and did it leave you knowing what the best way forward is?

That's all I'm looking for. I've had 2 x-rays in UK (for recurring spasms in the lower back). It's difficult to push for an MRI here as I'm normally up and about. However, if I can get an MRI for the price you mentioned, it'll be worth it for complete peace of mind. I will also want to take the results (scan etc) away with me for further opinions back home.

Anyway, hope you're sorted now. Thanks.

Did an MRI recently in Bangkok General Hospital, BKK Soi Soonvijai.

Roundabout 14000 Baht. Checking nerves in the spine.

OK, good service, another doctor one floor up monitoring the whole thing wanted to see me to do one more scan on some unrelated question that came up.

(Don't worry, this one will be free of charge)

It might be cheaper to check with a chiropracter first.

I had terrible pains in my chest and back. I went to the emergency room thinking i was having a heart attack. They ran just about every test possible on me and could not fiqure out what the problem was. I had an MRI, ultra sound , x-rays, bone scans and alot of blood work done. Just guessing but it probably cost my insurance company @ $50,000 give or take. The only thing they would do is give me vicatin for the pain. Finally I went to see a Chiropracter to see if he could relieve the pressure that I was feeling in my back. About 30 seconds after my first adjustment I felt @ 70% better. A few more visits and I was fine. It was the best $30.00 I ever spent. Funny thing though, my insurance does not cover chiropracters.

So , in effort to keep my post short it might be cheaper to see a Chiropracter first before trying the MRI. Either way good luck.

PKG