Why Are The After Hours Spots In Bkk Getting Closed Early Everyday?

DegenFarang

The last two weeks all of the four major after hours clubs in Bangkok have been closed by the police at 2:00 or even earlier. Previously three of them stayed open until 4am or 6am and one until 10am. Occasionally one of them will get shut down early by the police but in four years I have never seen anything like this. It is obviously a concerted effort by the police to close them all down early. However the police have obviously been getting bribed by these clubs for a long time, so its in their interest to keep them open - so the orders are obviously coming from higher up.

Anybody know exactly what is going on and how long it is going to last?

I've talked to a few Thai's about it. Some say vague things about the government. Others that a new 'Big Police' is in charge now. Another told me it has to do with the Kings birthday coming up. Another told me she knew what it was but could not talk about it.

I think possibly it has to do with a certain Special Somebody nearing death and maybe its out of respect or something like that.

On a side note I've also seen more police at night in Bangkok than I ever have before. Have gone through multiple random checkpoints where they stop taxi's and cars and search everybody (in central Bangkok) and have seen tons of uniformed officers all over the place - far more than I ever have in the past.

So what gives? Is this permanent? Whats the reason?

The last two weeks all of the four major after hours clubs in Bangkok have been closed by the police at 2:00 or even earlier. Previously three of them stayed open until 4am or 6am and one until 10am. Occasionally one of them will get shut down early by the police but in four years I have never seen anything like this. It is obviously a concerted effort by the police to close them all down early. However the police have obviously been getting bribed by these clubs for a long time, so its in their interest to keep them open - so the orders are obviously coming from higher up.

Anybody know exactly what is going on and how long it is going to last?

I've talked to a few Thai's about it. Some say vague things about the government. Others that a new 'Big Police' is in charge now. Another told me it has to do with the Kings birthday coming up. Another told me she knew what it was but could not talk about it.

I think possibly it has to do with a certain Special Somebody nearing death and maybe its out of respect or something like that.

On a side note I've also seen more police at night in Bangkok than I ever have before. Have gone through multiple random checkpoints where they stop taxi's and cars and search everybody (in central Bangkok) and have seen tons of uniformed officers all over the place - far more than I ever have in the past.

So what gives? Is this permanent? Whats the reason?

Why don't you go ask the BIB's.

The boys in brown... the police.

Asking them isn't as silly as it sounds actually. Most of them are quite friendly and chatty if you speak Thai.

I'm fairly certain most of them would say the reason they are closing them early is that they are illegal after hours clubs. So what do I say to this? 'Well you guys have been taking bribes from them for years, why have you stopped?'....

Not sure how well that would go over.

In your OP you refer to "four major after hours clubs", for clarity, would you care to name them? The after hours clubs out my way continue to operate with impunity, One of them, Mem Zeeds, is open until 6 AM every day and has been for the two years I have lived in Bang Na.

In your OP you refer to "four major after hours clubs", for clarity, would you care to name them? The after hours clubs out my way continue to operate with impunity, One of them, Mem Zeeds, is open until 6 AM every day and has been for the two years I have lived in Bang Na.

Are you sure they have still be open the last two weeks?

The four I was referring to are Climax (Suk 11 - used to be called Spice), Spicey, Boss and Bossy - don't know where the last three are (just tell the taxi driver the name and they all know) but they are all in the general Sukhumvit-MBK-Rama IV area

Edited by DegenFarang

Bangna is different district than Sukhumvit thus different "rules".

The guys in charge come and go thus this happens time to time. Last 10 years or so they have sometimes enforced the laws for awhile until it is slowly slipping to the good old system, sometimes they are on it for couple of years and sometimes couple of weeks. However it has not gone back to what it used to be 10 - 15 years ago. There used to "live" shows all around sukhumvit in full view of police...

Bangna is different district than Sukhumvit thus different "rules".

The guys in charge come and go thus this happens time to time. Last 10 years or so they have sometimes enforced the laws for awhile until it is slowly slipping to the good old system, sometimes they are on it for couple of years and sometimes couple of weeks. However it has not gone back to what it used to be 10 - 15 years ago. There used to "live" shows all around sukhumvit in full view of police...

What do you mean live shows, like concerts? Or outdoor parties?

Don't think I've ever been to a 'live show' on Sukhumvit, either after hours or before. Not even sure where they would do this, guess 10-15 years ago there was more open space heh

I've heard a few explanations for the crackdown including the possibility of the "special somebody" being close to death. If this comes to pass, the consensus is that the eyes of the world will be on Thailand and the last thing they'd want is for pictures showing the afterhours nightlife carrying on as before.

There's also the suggestion that Thais ought to be homw praying for him to get better rather than being out on the lash.

My feeling is that it's the same old "change of the Big Boss" that's behind the break in normal service. It's ok, the readies will filter up to him soon enough. :)

Well back in 2005-06 when I was knocking about bangkok I can tell you Ramintra was a nightmare for the police snooping about and early closures.

We're talking bars and kareokes getting shutdown by the police at 1130pm! I thought I was back in the UK sometimes.

Then there was checkpoints etc

This was back when Toxin and co were on their morality mission it's better since he's been usurped but nowhere near the glory days of the 90s.

There's always some new big cheese cop who wants to makehimself known as the biggest gang leader in town.

Once he's happy the old groove comes back. Until he's posted out and the whole thing repeats

At first, I secretly welcomed this clampdown cos I was lashing it a bit too often but now that I've caught up on some much needed rest, I can't wait for the BIB to go back to turning a blind eye at when these places shut.

Swing was definitely my fave - open 'til 11am and, although the music wasn't anywhere near the quality of that at places like Tunnel, it was far better than the rubbish they play at Spicy or Boss.

Can we make sure this topic doesnt drift into the realms where i would have to start deleteing posts/warning members - i think you all know what i am reffering to (and if you dont - PM me for a clear explanation)

Thanks guys

• 1 month later...