Internet Provider Screw Up

angmo

It defies normal logic.

I have a MAXNET broadband connection.

When setting up my email accounts, I cannot use my own company server for outgoing mail (SMTP) as they block it (as do TOT and True Internet). I have to use their SMTP server.

Now I have discovered that some of the maxnet servers are blacklisted for spam and therefore many of my emails don't get through to the recipients. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THAT ONLY SOME WILL REPLY WITH AN ERROR MESSAGE. This is how I initially discovered the issue.

I then tested:

1. Sending from outlook (using Maxnet SMTP settings) to my MobileMe, Yahoo and company accounts, all receive the email except yahoo. Yet I dont get an error - so if I were sending to another yahoo user I would not know that they did not receive it.

2. Sending from my company webmail rather than outlook to my MobileMe, Yahoo and company accounts, all receive the email.

3. Sending from my yahoo webmail rather than outlook to my MobileMe, Yahoo and company accounts, all receive the email.

4. Sending from my MobileMe webmail rather than outlook to my MobileMe, Yahoo and company accounts, all receive the email.

Then I have also received a error on a mail sent to one of my customers referring to the following link:

http://security.rr.com/cgi-bin/block-lookup?202.69.137.160

If you go to this link you can see that the maxnet server is blacklisted.

NOW THE BEST OF ALL.

When I complained to Maxnet they said the reason they don't let us use our own SMTP servers is to prevent SPAM.

THE FACT IS:

By letting anyone use their SMTP (which requires no password - the modem is the security), they are opening themselves up to being used for SPAM because now anyone who has a MAXNET connection can send emails with fake reply addresses and it will all go through.

If they allowed users to use their own SMTP servers - THOSE servers would get blacklisted and not MAXNET servers.

THE RESULT: IF ONE MAXNET SUBSCRIBER SENDS SPAM - MAXNET GETS BLACKLISTED AND ALL THEIR USERS SUFFER THE SAME PROBLEM.

The help desk people don't or won't understand this when I explain it to them. In the meanwhile I have no way of knowing how many of my emails are disappearing into the unknown and my business could be suffering as a result.

Does anyone have any idea what one can do to shake up these idiots.

Cheers,

Pieter

>> When setting up my email accounts, I cannot use my own company server for outgoing mail (SMTP) as they block it (as do TOT and True Internet). I have to use their SMTP server.

We are using our own SMTP mailserver hosted in USA. There is no blockage by true to use External SMTPs.

As Brew said - a lot of email servers (SMTP) run on an alternative port as well as 25 to be able to get around these issues.

Mine for example is also accessible on port 366, so perhaps see if you can have a word with your tech support to check if one is available :)

Have the exact same problem with my company's SMTP! Cannot access from both, TT&T and TOT. Answer given by both call centers is that SMTPs outside of Thailand cannot be used.

Fixed it by using my own SMTP. It is hosted in the US. So much about the call center comment...

I'm a TT&T Indy user, and my workaround is to use a VPN server when I want to send via another SMTP. I use "Hotspot Shield" from http://anchorfree.com/. I log off when not needing to use the VPN, as it posts banner ads at the top of Internet Explorer windows. My default browser is Opera, and so far (knock on wood!), it doesn't put banner ads on it.

I started using the VPN route when the program I use to access my employer's mainframe computer was blocked by TT&T. Apparently some port used in that process is also blocked by TT&T. When I began to be unable to send e-mails, I tried the VPN, and voila, it solved that problem as well.

I'm a TT&T Indy user, and my workaround is to use a VPN server when I want to send via another SMTP. I use "Hotspot Shield" from http://anchorfree.com/. I log off when not needing to use the VPN, as it posts banner ads at the top of Internet Explorer windows. My default browser is Opera, and so far (knock on wood!), it doesn't put banner ads on it.

I started using the VPN route when the program I use to access my employer's mainframe computer was blocked by TT&T. Apparently some port used in that process is also blocked by TT&T. When I began to be unable to send e-mails, I tried the VPN, and voila, it solved that problem as well.

I have the same problem as the OP......same company, same result: blacklisted by two "companies" based in Germany.......part of the blame must put on these companies.......one is spamhause or something like that.

It matters not that you are not a spammer, if you use TTT Maxnet, you get blacklisted............as an aside, TT Maxnet is also doing everything in its power to throttle down torrent traffic, making it a nightmare........not so much downloading, but uploading.