New Improved Pavements In Bangkok?

leicester

Most of you will have noticed the clear efforts made by Abhisit to improve the pavements on Bangkok's busiest walk ways. We have all hit our toe on a nuisance obstacle that has no reason to be there at some point or another. We must appreciate the new government forking out for materials and manpower.

Once an area has been designated for this paving regeneration, piles of paving slabs are left in the middle of the street and relaid in a state that merits work done by a child. There are gaps in the slabs which equate to dangerous pot holes and excess slabs are left hindering the path.

Can anybody explain why soft sand is used instead of cement as common sense would suggest these slabs will sink and therefore become uneven similar to its present condition?

I have recently had fusion surgery for degenerative disc disease at L5-S1 in my lumbar and walking is supposedly an excellent way to help fuse the spine in recovery. The pavements here have never been very good and this poor workmanship only retains such inadequacies. Block paving is hardly difficult. Only laziness and lack of knowledge and training can account for this situation. Training to lay paving must take at least 30 minutes!

Most of you will have noticed the clear efforts made by Abhisit to improve the pavements on Bangkok's busiest walk ways. We have all hit our toe on a nuisance obstacle that has no reason to be there at some point or another. We must appreciate the new government forking out for materials and manpower.

Once an area has been designated for this paving regeneration, piles of paving slabs are left in the middle of the street and relaid in a state that merits work done by a child. There are gaps in the slabs which equate to dangerous pot holes and excess slabs are left hindering the path.

Can anybody explain why soft sand is used instead of cement as common sense would suggest these slabs will sink and therefore become uneven similar to its present condition?

I have recently had fusion surgery for degenerative disc disease at L5-S1 in my lumbar and walking is supposedly an excellent way to help fuse the spine in recovery. The pavements here have never been very good and this poor workmanship only retains such inadequacies. Block paving is hardly difficult. Only laziness and lack of knowledge and training can account for this situation. Training to lay paving must take at least 30 minutes!

Do you know how many people are employed by the sand and paver people?

Same old story all over Thailand. Sufficients funds POSSIBLY allocated in the first place, but by the time all the levels of construction have had their monetary 'skim off' that is the result yoy get. You should see the state or the roadss where I live in the country. Absolutely appalling.mad.gif

Soft sand is used under paving slabs in the Uk and is for PEDESTRIAN traffic, when you have a dropped kerb put up to your house then they lay the slabs on concrete for VEHICULAR traffic. However in Thailand there is no defined boundary for road pavement :):D

Edited by yabaaaa

Just a side note that may shed some light on what you actually know about Thailand,

Abhisit is the Prime Minister of Thailand and has nothing to do with the ongoing (for at least 2 years) campaign to replace the sidewalks all over Bangkok. That would be the past and present governors of the Bangkok province, namely Apirak Kosayothin and Sukhumbhand Paribatra that started it.

:)

TH

Soft sand is used under paving slabs in the Uk and is for PEDESTRIAN traffic, when you have a dropped kerb put up to your house then they lay the slabs on concrete for VEHICULAR traffic. However in Thailand there is no defined boundary for road pavement :):D

I've noticed, at least in London, that they are using ground up bottle glass as the substrate now.

I've noticed, at least in London, that they are using ground up bottle glass as the substrate now.

Maybe because the main ingredient was sand, would still have thought using sand was cheaper.

When I lived in Bangkok some 15 year ago the pavements (sidewalks for our US members) were so bad that the motorcy taxis refused to drive on them.

Sounds like nothing has changed since?

I wish the dolts would refuse to drive on them now.