Starting An Internet Business?

This is by far not any close to actually implementing my business idea... I still have yet to learn a hel_l lot about everything to do with business

however, I wish to start a web development / web hosting studio, of which I want to earn extra from my day time job in Thailand...

My primary question

- Do I need to do this as a business entity? Because i prefer run merchant services (such as credit card payments)

Legality with the clients, income, etc

PS. I'm have a thai citizen and of thai nationality

Edited by Steele404

If you are a Thai citizen I don't know. I know in where I'm from, the U.S., you do not have to start a business officially if you want to do such services. If a business paid you for services you could just be considered an independent contractor. So, I bet in Thailand for Thai citizens you could do the same. You may want to start a business officially just to be more official and professional, but I would assume it is not absolutely necessary. Maybe you can get some web design jobs first, do a good job and get some money, then use some of that money to officially start a business with a name and all the legal documents.

Do I need to do this as a business entity? Because i prefer run merchant services (such as credit card payments)

Legality with the clients, income, etc.

If I understand you correctly you wish to process card payments for clients that have web sites that you host or manage for them?

From my dealings with Thai banks you will need to be a business rather than a person to have access to online real-time card processing facilities, as a startup buisness I would expect that they would want to seen some evidence of existing business need to offer this facility. Also the percentage that the business pays the bank for processing the transaction will vary with the volume/value of your transactions. Starting out expect this to be at least 3-4%, once you are trusted this typically drops to 1.5-2% depending on the card issuer.

In some countries it is 'illegal' for the business to pass on the card processing transaction charge to the card holding customer, although it is typical for many Thai companies to do this and add their handling fee as well, but being a Thai national you will be aware of this. Maybe you are also aware of the growing feeling of mistrust of Thai business that carry out this overcharging scam?

If you are planning your hosting within Thailand consider where the user-customers are based, Thailand's international internet connections are beinging to show their age and limitations, so consider hosting in Europe or America that has a better infrastructure, faster and more reliable if your direct customers are planning to sell internationally.

HTH.