อัน, ที่

DavidHouston

From a subheading in a newspaper article:

"จำนวน ส.ส. และ ส.ว. อันเป็นพื้นฐานของการแก้ไขรัฐธรรมนูญ พ.ศ.2550"

Question:

Can the words "ที่" and "ซึ่ง" be substituted for the word "อัน" in this and other contexts without changing the meaning?

Thanks.

Question:

Can the words "ที่" and "ซึ่ง" be substituted for the word "อัน" in this and other contexts without changing the meaning?

Thanks.

According the dictionary they can, as you have found out, but since it is incomplete any talk of context seems like a step too far.

Edited by tgeezer

• 3 weeks later...

จำนวน ส.ส. และ ส.ว. อันเป็นพื้นฐานของการแก้ไขรัฐธรรมนูญ พ.ศ.2550

Total S.s. and S.w. as the basis of the 2550 constitutional changes.

At = ที่

That = ซึ่ง

an = อัน

Question:

Thanks.

According the dictionary they can, as you have found out, but since it is incomplete any talk of context seems like a step too far.

Thanks to my new book I think I have an answer which is worth discussing. In the example I think อัน is the pronoun for the two groups considered as one unit I suppose a noun phrase, so อัน must be a คำสรรพนาม ; it is not required here but we assume there is a preceding sentence which makes it necessary. The contect is as a คำสรรพนาม a term which this book scrupulously refuses to use. อัน means things, bits, parts etc. and is a classifier for such as well. in the RID it is also a คำสรรพนาม so if the noun preceding it is inanimate maybe it is first choice but the book says you use any one of them eg. แต่ก่อนไม่มีใครรู้ว่าเป็นความจริง (ความจริง,อัน,ชึ่ง,ที่)ปรากฏขึ้นมา

If the noun were a person as in the book, เขาเดินไปหาเด็ก (เด็ก,ที่,ชึ่ง)นั่งอยู่คนเดียวคนนั้น because I am now thinking that อัน applies to objects, I can't use it here; that could well be wrong.

This is only as a pronoun, and serving as pronouns is the only thing that all three have in common.

Mark's post has various duties assigned 'at' is a preposition for instance but I wouldn't know where 'that' and 'an' fit grammatically in English, if pronouns fair enough. They all apply somewhere but the context is the important thing. I would have thought which or who for all of them as pronouns.

Edited by tgeezer

Here is another sample sentence from this weekend's magazine:

ผมออกจะแปลกใจที่คนซึ่งมาคุยกับผมเรื่องนี้หลายคน แสดงความไม่พอใจนักร้องคนนี้

"I was certainly surprised that many of those who discussed this matter with me articulated their displeasure with this singer."

In this context "ซึ่ง" seems to be acting in the role as a relative pronoun referring to the primary noun, "คน . . . หลายคน"

Here is another sample sentence from this weekend's magazine:

ผมออกจะแปลกใจที่คนซึ่งมาคุยกับผมเรื่องนี้หลายคน แสดงความไม่พอใจนักร้องคนนี้

"I was certainly surprised that many of those who discussed this matter with me articulated their displeasure with this singer."

In this context "ซึ่ง" seems to be acting in the role as a relative pronoun referring to the primary noun, "คน . . . หลายคน"

This is what the scoolbooks call a ประพันธสรรพนาม used to join two sentences in place of the ประธาน which should lead the second sentence.

คน(ซึ่ง/ที่)มาคุยกับผม (คน)แสดงความไม่พอใจ the brackets mean if you put the contents of the first in, then you can leave out the contents of the second. In this case it stands for คนหลายคน I think, but would be there anyway without หลาายคน tagged on. I think that ที่ in the intro. should be ว่า too, because it is an utterance.

I am saying this to get it straight in my mind I don't know if I can see the wood from the trees now.