Bombs Explodes In Hat Yai/songkhla

george

HAT YAI AIRPORT BOMBED

Two Bombs Kill 1, Wound 30 in Thai Muslim South

BANGKOK: -- Two bombs exploded almost simultaneously at an airport and a supermarket in Thailand's restive Muslim south Sunday, killing one person and wounding more than 30 others, police and witnesses said.

The two bombs in the southern commercial town of Hat Yai were the latest attacks in a region where more than 600 people have died in 15 months of violence which the government has blamed on Muslim separatists.

"One person was killed at the airport," Police Major General Surapol Tongprasert told Reuters. A Hat Yai hospital official said they were treating more than 30 wounded from the two bomb attacks.

An airport limousine driver told Reuters he saw 20 people wounded, including a fellow driver whose legs had been blown off.

"I saw it with my own eyes. The bomb cut off the legs of one of my friends," driver Purich Raebenmud told Reuters.

Another eight people were wounded when a second bomb exploded at the Carrefour superstore, about 20 km (12 miles) from the airport, Bangkok's FM 100 radio reported.

Police said a third bomb hidden in a motorcycle exploded outside a hotel in the town of Songkhla, 40 km north of Hat Yai, but there were no reports of casualties.

--Reuters 2005-04-03

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Latest from Ron at 2 bangkok.com (with thanks)

Posted at 21:28 - Thai-language TV is reporting that bombs were detonated at Carrefour and Hat Yai airport. This is a serious escalation of the violence in the deep south outside of the three southern provinces.

(Thanks to Aspier and Stephen for their early tip offs to this news.)

Posted at 21:40 -Aspier reports: A bomb in the center of Haddyai at 8:40pm. The first is in front of Carrefour--18 person were injured and 2 died and after that at Hadyai Airport--lots of people were injured. From Manager online. Channel 9 reports that there was also a bomb at Green World hotel and that one died and ten were injured at Hat Yai Airport

When a bomb goes off at the airport of the major city in the South, why the ###### is only channel 5 covering the story? What is wrong with this country? Every other channel is just showing the stupid games and dramas. Is this Thaksin's attempt at 'containing' the problem? Hat Yai airport is a major step up. How long before Phuket or BKK? Crazy world.

Two Bombs Kill 1, Wound 30 in Thai Muslim South

By REUTERS

Published: April 3, 2005

Filed at 11:14 a.m. ET

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Two bombs exploded almost simultaneously at an airport and a supermarket in Thailand's restive Muslim south Sunday, killing one person and wounding more than 30 others, police and witnesses said.

The two bombs in the southern commercial town of Hat Yai were the latest attacks in a region where more than 600 people have died in 15 months of violence which the government has blamed on Muslim separatists.

``One person was killed at the airport,'' Police Major General Surapol Tongprasert told Reuters. A Hat Yai hospital official said they were treating more than 30 wounded from the two bomb attacks.

An airport limousine driver told Reuters he saw 20 people wounded, including a fellow driver whose legs had been blown off.

``I saw it with my own eyes. The bomb cut off the legs of one of my friends,'' driver Purich Raebenmud told Reuters.

Another eight people were wounded when a second bomb exploded at the Carrefour superstore, about 20 kmfrom the airport, Bangkok's FM 100 radio reported.

Police said a third bomb hidden in a motorcycle exploded outside a hotel in the town of Songkhla, 40 km north of Hat Yai, but there were no reports of casualties.

Worryingly, it seems the bomb-making technology is improving each time.

When I was in Indonesia, there were some very skilful and dangerous bomb makers, who remain at large - Malay I think.

Is there a frontier wall/big fence all along the border? If there isn't I fear there may...

....1 oz of baby milk later....

...have to be one built.

Edited by The_Moog

Three bomb blasts in Hat Yai kill two

HAT YAI: -- Three explosions were reported almost simultaneously in Hat Yai district of the southern province of Songkhla around 8 p.m. on Sunday.

The first explosion took place at the departure hall of Hat Yai airport. It is believed to have caused by a bomb hidden in a passenger’s baggage.

The Deputy Interior Minister Sermsak Pongpanit told TNA that the blast killed two people, injuring more than a dozen. Airport officials have sealed off the area.

Shortly thereafter, another bomb exploded at the Dream World Palace Hotel. The explosive device was attached to a motorbike and detonated by a remote control.

The third explosion took place at Carrefour supermarket at the heart of Hat Yai, injuring a number of people. Police are investigating the scene.

The explosions come just four days after Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced on Thursday that Thailand may scale back its forces in the three southern border provinces of Yala,Pattani and Narathiwat.

--TNA 2005-04-03

There are many Thai muslims that work at Hat Yai airport, and I just can't for the life of me grasp the reasoning behind blowing up your own people.

Ssssh. Don't point out that eminently valid point to them !

Better than sending a suicide Bomber strolling down Soi Bangla.

My sister-in-law was coming out of the side entrance of Carrefour when it went off.

Massive explosion, and she saw a number of people lying around and lots of blood.

Another friend of ours lives just a minutes walk from the Greenworld Hotel and she said the explosion shook her whole house. Three people were slightly injured here and the hotel entrance arch has apparently collapsed. This is pretty scarey shit as it's just a 5 minute drive from my place.

My sister-in-law was coming out of the side entrance of Carrefour when it went off.

Massive explosion, and she saw a number of people lying around and lots of blood.

Another friend of ours lives just a minutes walk from the Greenworld Hotel and she said  the explosion shook her whole house.  Three people were slightly injured here and the hotel entrance arch has apparently collapsed.  This is pretty scarey shit as it's just a 5 minute drive from my place.

Scary stuff, ldma. Play safe down there!

i am currently at hatyai...

my trips to hatyai are very reguar...

i arrived here last wednesday from bangkok and saw approx 500% increase in the number of security personel, including police and milatiry(on airports?).

at that time i thought it maybe some VIP was expected or something....

now im sure the authorities were expecting this attack....

didnt come accross a threat to the airport in the media before it happened....

this too just before songkran....will surely scare off the malaysian tourists....

im planin to fly to bangkok next weekend....or should i drive??

none of the news channels right now are covering the issue...no thai channels....no breaking news on CNN, nothing...this is amazing...

The next liberal that tells me "Oh Islam is Peace"  ..............

and "They are just misunderstood"  :o

I feel the same, how come its always involving Islam problems arise? Hindus vs Muslims with India vs Pakistan, Christian vs Muslims loads of places, Muslims vs Budhists Thailand, Muslims vs Catholics, Muslims vs Jews....its always Muslims vs someone else.....but never their fault, we are encroaching on them apparently but they wish to make the whole world bend to Islam.

Maybe mass generalisation on my part, but they really do pi$$ me off.

I say its time for a new style of Oragami to shower the Terrorist (Separatists). This will show them that we mean them no harm. Maybe we can get the corrupt UN to drop in to write them a check that will buy a few months of peace.

remote control and almost at the same time?

not to spread panic but doesn't it sound almost the same as the one in Bali and the Aust Embassy in Indonesia?

I just hope the scumb@g Azahari bin Husinis not in southern Thailand and behind these attacks.

Explorer  :D

:o

Don't think the people that are planning the attacks are Thai. (Malay or Indonesian, I would guess)

Certainly they don't care about the local people's welfare.

They believe they are guided by a "higher purpose".

I've read translations of Arabic texts that similar groups used in Saudi Arabia. They can convince themselves that killing women and children is a "holy work" because women can have children that will grow up to oppose their aims. By the terrorists reasoning therefore, to kill a woman is better than to kill a man, because that eliminates future oposition.

But before you get all hot and bothered about "Islamic terrorists", remember the same logic has been used in Northern Ireland by the IRA.

Hatred breeds killers of all races and religions

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Religions............

Jews were the first. Then Christians. Then Muslims. The Christians split up in many many different sub-groups, aparently the muslims just so.

However THEY ALL PRAY TO THE VERY SAME GOD!!!!

Just follow the teachings of different (human!) prophets. (Moses etc for Jews, Jesus of Nazareth for all the Christians and Muhammad for the Muslims. Christians do "accept" the older prophets too, and Muslims do accept both the older prophets AND Jesus).

Now WHO of the prophets told them that it is ok to kill followers of other prophets, as long as they worship the same, one god????

I have myself no religion at all, but i don't understand this. Since Muhammad was aparently the last of the human prophets, and since (peace loving, normal) Muslims follow the teachings of Muhammad yet recognise Jesus as a prophet too - how come some of them let themselves be duped into believing that "Christians are evil enough to be killed, in the name of god"???

(i could understand it all the other way round, since it is always difficult to accept something NEW - like if Jews tried to erradicate Christians or Christians go against Muslims, but here the "new kids on the block" try to eradicate the older ones!)

Here my prayer: Dear God, Allah, Jehova, whatever your name - seed some intelligence amongs your followers to have them wake up, and send a new prophet to unite them ALL and stop the killing of innocent people in your name!

Regards.....

Thanh

As an American who loves Thailand and who has just returned from a month there, I can tell you that this news makes me sick. Living in midtown Manhattan not far from the World Trade Center, I not only had to live with this event, but the aftermath, which was well past twelve month. Army tanks on the streets of Manhattan, military with machine guns guarding federal and state buildings including train and bus stations. The stress, anxiety, depression and anger lasts a long time. I remember reading a few months back when Taksin ordered military action down south that resulted in many deaths, and he was criticized for excessive force. My answer push them back now or as someone else mentioned earlier, it will only be a matter of time before they move northward to Phuket or Bangkok. Do it now before Thailand suffers the same fate as we did in New York.

When a bomb goes off at the airport of the major city in the South, why the ###### is only channel 5 covering the story? What is wrong with this country? Every other channel is just showing the stupid games and dramas. Is this Thaksin's attempt at 'containing' the problem? Hat Yai airport is a major step up. How long before Phuket or BKK? Crazy world.

Thaksin has the South well under control CMT. I know that coz the goodish PM said so :o

Another friend of ours lives just a minutes walk from the Greenworld Hotel and she said  the explosion shook her whole house.  Three people were slightly injured here and the hotel entrance arch has apparently collapsed.  This is pretty scarey shit as it's just a 5 minute drive from my place.

"Keep safe Idma"dog

Organized religion is now and throughout history has been the biggest threat facing the world. Fanatics are dangerous. Christians should take a look at the crusades before making judgments.

I think Thaksin had the right idea to start with. They want to be martyrs so the soldiers and police should help them along on their mission. It has been demonstrated time and time again that they can not be negotiated with nor can anyone reason with them.