Looking For Restaurant Recommendations In The Old City

camerata

I'll be in Chiang Mai for 3 days at the end of next week - my first solo trip for 18 years. I need a few eatery recommendations (lunch or dinner) in the Old City or riverside. Either Thai or Western food, but somewhere with a bit of charm where a single diner won't feel out of place. I'm actually heading North tomorrow so I don't have much time for Internet research on this. All I remember from my last trip 3 years ago with friends was an excellent Italian pasta place, a charming little Thai restaurant with khao-soi, a crowded German place at the Night Bazaar and one riverside place. All had great food but I don't have the names of any of them.

Thanks in advance.

At least two of the places that you have mentioned are not in the old city, so I will ignore that part of your request, but try not to suggest places too far away.

Almost all of the Italian restaurants owned by Italians are of very good quality and one of the first was Da Stephano which is right outside Thapae Gate behind the Boots Pharmacy on soi Chang Moi Kao.

About a block south, also right outside of Thapae Gate is Aroon Rai, one of the cities' most well known Thai restaurants. It is good, but not great in my opinion, but I do not know any great ones in that area. Very casual and inexpensive, but not much on atmosphere.

If you go to the Night Bazaar, try the Duke's. It has become Chiang Mai institution very quickly. It is run by a real restaurateur from California - who owned a few restaurants there - and there is a big selection of western favorites. If you prefer American style pizzas, his are hard to beat.

You could have a look at the map on this page. The Khao Soi place I think you mean is number 53, in the center of the moat area. Grace house restaurant (number 20) , on moon muang soi 9, and a simple, tasty vegetarian restaurant near the center (number 58) are 2 of my favorites...

www.thailand-travel-help.com/chiang-mai-information.html

You could have a look at the map on this page. The Khao Soi place I think you mean is number 53, in the center of the moat area. Grace house restaurant (number 20) , on moon muang soi 9, and a simple, tasty vegetarian restaurant near the center (number 58) are 2 of my favorites...

www.thailand-travel-help.com/chiang-mai-information.html

dam_n. I saw that map before and forgot to print it at the office. I guess I'll just have to sketch a part of it roughly and save the text to my Palm. I'm staying near No. 20 so that would be convenient.

Good selections of restaurants appear behind Wawee Coffee Shop on the corner of Radjadamneoun and Rajapakinai. Italian, Vietnamese, Thai and a salad bar. All are quite good. Nice atmosphere. Outdoors. I think de Stefano has really gone down over the years. But perhaps I went on a bad day. Girasole (the one behind Wawee) is better IMHO but I think it all depends if the owner is around.

Good selections of restaurants appear behind Wawee Coffee Shop on the corner of Radjadamneoun and Rajapakinai. Italian, Vietnamese, Thai and a salad bar. All are quite good. Nice atmosphere. Outdoors. I think de Stefano has really gone down over the years. But perhaps I went on a bad day. Girasole (the one behind Wawee) is better IMHO but I think it all depends if the owner is around.

Girasole is also owned by Stefano. :)

Gap's House, down the soi behind the AUA language school on Ratchadamnoern, has a very good veggie buffet in the evenings. It's a small, Lanna/garden style place with great atmosphere.

I wish I'd seen this one before got to CM!

Thanks for all the suggestions. It turned out that [a] I had eaten only Thai food the previous four days in Chiang Rai (so had a bit of a hankering for Western food) and I pretty much had to eat wherever I was when I got hungry. The place I'd had khao soi before turned out to be Khao Soi Samurjai by the river, but since I'd had khai soi in CR (with chicken blood!) and spent Loy Kratong by the river there, I didn't make it to the riverside in CM.

The Italian place I'd eaten at before turned out to be Georgio's, and I did have an excellent pasta there one lunchtime. The German place I'd eaten at 3 years ago was Hofbrauhaus, which seemed just average this time. I did try Duke's, and came out bloated. I reckon anyone who eats there regularly would be a 300-pound blimp within a year. I loved the Apple Pie. Last, but not least, I fought my way through the Saturday night throng to have Bangers & Mash and a chat with the amiable owner of Tuskers.

I'm saving all the other suggestions for the next visit, which I hope won't be too far away. If I had to pick the culinary delight of the whole trip it would have to be the sai-ua at Chiang Rai Night Bazaar, along with their draught Singha Beer that tasted as sweet and smooth as it used to in the 70s.

BTW, what's with the evangelist rally at the Thapae Gate? As I passed by on Saturday night hundreds of people were yelling "Phra Yesu rak Chiang Mai!" and waving their arms around.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It turned out that [a] I had eaten only Thai food the previous four days in Chiang Rai (so had a bit of a hankering for Western food) and I pretty much had to eat wherever I was when I got hungry. The place I'd had khao soi before turned out to be Khao Soi Samurjai by the river, but since I'd had khai soi in CR (with chicken blood!) and spent Loy Kratong by the river there, I didn't make it to the riverside in CM.

The Italian place I'd eaten at before turned out to be Georgio's, and I did have an excellent pasta there one lunchtime. The German place I'd eaten at 3 years ago was Hofbrauhaus, which seemed just average this time. I did try Duke's, and came out bloated. I reckon anyone who eats there regularly would be a 300-pound blimp within a year. I loved the Apple Pie. Last, but not least, I fought my way through the Saturday night throng to have Bangers & Mash and a chat with the amiable owner of Tuskers.

I'm saving all the other suggestions for the next visit, which I hope won't be too far away. If I had to pick the culinary delight of the whole trip it would have to be the sai-ua at Chiang Rai Night Bazaar, along with their draught Singha Beer that tasted as sweet and smooth as it used to in the 70s.

BTW, what's with the evangelist rally at the Thapae Gate? As I passed by on Saturday night hundreds of people were yelling "Phra Yesu rak Chiang Mai!" and waving their arms around.

The web site address I gave you for Cheerful Charlie`s English fish and chip restaurant was incorrect.

Here is the correct address:

http://ccfc.food.officelive.com/default.aspx