Bike Bikes In Thailand

karTER

We (wifey & I) used to ride bikes in the UK and had quite a collection before we jumped ship and left the country. It is quite possibly the single most thing that I miss since we began our travels- although real ale is alos on the short list. I like all kinds of two wheelers but top of the list is still the super sports bikes a la R1, the Fireblade, the Ninja, etcetera (apologies to the non-riders on here; that list may not mean much to them).

Anyway, I am yearning a fix to tear around on a mid range (600 cc) to top of the tree (full on litre) and wonder if there is anywhere around the Bangkok area that hires out similar styles of bikes for the day/weekend? Do they have a national track or some sort for a track day? I seem to recall watching scooter racing that looked mental and wonder if they allow some time on the track- for a price.

I appreciate this may be a niche request and that it may not get much response, but you never know. Cheers,

Sorry, I don't know where you can rent good real bikes.

As for the track, start with the Bira circuit. The track is not very far away from Pattaya, it's about 2.4 km long and suitable for bikes. You can use the track on weekdays morning 08.00 to 12.00 for 1'000 Baht per person (shared use). If you want to have the track for yourself you need to pay 45'000 Baht per day (weekdays only).

http://www.bira.co.th

+1. If you want to rent large cc bikes, the place to go is Pattaya. I have not heard of any place in BKK that does that. In Pattaya the rental places have some sort of deal with the BiB to avoid taxes on importing big bikes, so they are available there. Also, keep in mind that those of us in this forum make fun of the fact that people who should not be on a large cc sportbike manage to rent them in Pattaya.

Thanks to the mod who moved this and the responses. Food for thought and perhaps something I can follow up on in due course.

Regards the concern of safety, whilst by no means "expert", I can ride "spiritedly" without too many mishaps to date. Here is what we used to have in the UK: http://ktelontour.blogspot.com/2009/08/our...back-in-uk.html :)

Edited due to typo.

Edited by karTER

Well karTER you got some nice rides here...unfortunately can't take 'em with you. I don't know what your plans are for staying in the area (or traveling the world) but if you wanted to stick around BKK you could get a VFR400 as a replacement to your RVF. They're fairly common here and not too terribly epensive.

Well karTER you got some nice rides here...unfortunately can't take 'em with you. I don't know what your plans are for staying in the area (or traveling the world) but if you wanted to stick around BKK you could get a VFR400 as a replacement to your RVF. They're fairly common here and not too terribly epensive.

What, even the fugly scooter? :)

Aye, it was a sad day when we sold them all to our local dealer. Mind you, we only lost three grand in the years we owned them (the RVF was actually wifey's but I used to use it weekly too. :D )

We actually do intend to travel the world but there is no time scale, agenda or itinerary to the quest; simply stay where we are having fun and move on if not. The problem is that BKK is just too good to leave readily and I expect we will be in and out over the next couple of years while we see the rest of SE Asia. Then we head for the Americas.

Long term, buying a bike would make sense but we're not sure of how long we will be here, hence the reason to hire a bike and try and do a track day. Saying that, it is still a possibility and you're right, the VFR is still a nice track tool too.

Would you be willing to travel to Chonbury? There are many bikes for rent in Pattaya!

Or make it a holiday and go to Chiang Mai. The GT Rider forum has many bike rentals listed...

They have 750s and Kawa 650s etc.

Chris

Good tip and thanks. We hope to visit Chiang Mai early next year and will take a look.

Hello.

I rented a ninja 250 last month in pattaya!bike was in good condition(3000 on the clock) and i paid 10000 baht for a month!the bike was taxed and had a white plate so you can ride it everywhere in thailand!

they had a few kawa er 6ns(650ccm) for about 15000 baht per month and i saw a lot of honda cbrs but didnt ask for any details!

pattaya is the y way to go if you stay in bangkok...but i recommend go up to chiang mai and enjoy riding there.cause riding a big bike in bangkok is terrible cause of the <deleted>... traffic!

regards

Long term, buying a bike would make sense but we're not sure of how long we will be here, hence the reason to hire a bike and try and do a track day. Saying that, it is still a possibility and you're right, the VFR is still a nice track tool too.

Contact Graham at High Side Tours at BIRA- he has race ready GSXRs for rent at the track. http://www.highsidetours.com/

Problem is with the rental big bikes in Pattaya, most of them have red plates which means you get stopped constantly if you take them out of the Pattaya area. Probably a scam to keep the mileage down. Ironic really since these big motorcycles are a useless menace within the City limits of Pattaya and the red plates make it difficult to take them out onto the highway where they really belong and where their size is useful.

We (wifey & I) used to ride bikes in the UK and had quite a collection before we jumped ship and left the country. It is quite possibly the single most thing that I miss since we began our travels- although real ale is alos on the short list. I like all kinds of two wheelers but top of the list is still the super sports bikes a la R1, the Fireblade, the Ninja, etcetera (apologies to the non-riders on here; that list may not mean much to them).

Anyway, I am yearning a fix to tear around on a mid range (600 cc) to top of the tree (full on litre) and wonder if there is anywhere around the Bangkok area that hires out similar styles of bikes for the day/weekend? Do they have a national track or some sort for a track day? I seem to recall watching scooter racing that looked mental and wonder if they allow some time on the track- for a price.

I appreciate this may be a niche request and that it may not get much response, but you never know. Cheers,

I I know a British guy that rents a Ducati 998S nice clean bike with 50mm Trmi's and slipper clutch if you like I'll PM his info.

Take care