Out Of Print Thailand Books

lovelomsak

A friend of mine who lived and worked in Chiang Mai for his whole working career, before retiring to Canada ,when they where logging teak with elephants wrote a book and had it puiblished here in thailand. It was called "Logging with Elephants " I think.

It would be out of print now. He died a few years ago so cannot get from him. Lost contact with his son who works for HKB.

Would like to find for memorial for our sailing fleet he was our secretary for 25 years.

How do I go about locating something like this. It would be great to have a copy in our yacht club. It also in my opinion is a piece of thai history.

I now this is s difficult task so need good advice if I can get it.

Thank You in advance.

A friend of mine who lived and worked in Chiang Mai for his whole working career, before retiring to Canada ,when they where logging teak with elephants wrote a book and had it puiblished here in thailand. It was called "Logging with Elephants " I think.

It would be out of print now. He died a few years ago so cannot get from him. Lost contact with his son who works for HKB.

Would like to find for memorial for our sailing fleet he was our secretary for 25 years.

How do I go about locating something like this. It would be great to have a copy in our yacht club. It also in my opinion is a piece of thai history.

Thank You in advance.

Would that happen to be Henry Marshall's book "Elephant Kingdom"? If so, 17 copies available via www.abebooks com

UK published, tho.

The obit, below, sure sounds like a match. Great turn of phrase here: "After a full career in forestry, he raised another sail and became a contributing member of the Royal Victoria Yacht Club,where he happily skippered his Cal 20 to many hard-fought last place finishes."

Mac

Oregon State Univ, Forest Engineer, 1963, but never got around to working as one

http://tinyurl.com/ygeudec

M A R C H | A P R I L 2 0 0 3 A Publication of the Association of British Columbia Professional Foresters

22FORUMMarch | April 2003 OBITUARIESMEMBER NEWS

Henry Neil Marshall RPF (Ret) #375,Life Member1926-2002Harry Marshall wasborn November 16,1926 in Nelson,Lancashire, England and passed away on October 4,2002 in Victoria.

Harry graduated with a degree in forestry from Bangor, North Wales in 1947 and then spent eight years working in the forests of northern Thailand. While there, he wrote and published Elephant Kingdom that chronicled his many adventures, including logging with elephants. Harry and his wife Morforwyn (Morwyn)emigrated to BC in 1958 and he began working with the BC Forest Service, posted to Prince George, Kamloops and Vernon before settling in Victoria in 1963. There he worked with the planning division before becoming director of the new recreation branch, the position he held up to retirement in 1985

Harry became a registered professional forester in 1961 and was made a life member of the association in 1987. Harry’s contributions to forestry in BC are many, with a special one being his establishment of the successful forest recreation program in 1971, in spite of very limited budget and staff. The program included forest landscape management, which was ahead of its time as a part of integratedforest management.

After a full career in forestry, he raised another sail and became a contributing member of the Royal Victoria Yacht Club,where he happily skippered his Cal 20 to many hard-fought last place finishes.

Harry is greatly missed by Morwyn—his wife of 48 years—his three children, Richard, Lorna and Ann, and his five grandchildren. His humour, presence and love will be missed by all who knew him.

- Contributed by Harry Drage, RP

Thank You in advance.

Would that happen to be Henry Marshall's book "Elephant Kingdom"? If so, 17 copies available via www.abebooks com

UK published, tho.

The obit, below, sure sounds like a match. Great turn of phrase here: "After a full career in forestry, he raised another sail and became a contributing member of the Royal Victoria Yacht Club,where he happily skippered his Cal 20 to many hard-fought last place finishes."

Mac

Oregon State Univ, Forest Engineer, 1963, but never got around to working as one

http://tinyurl.com/ygeudec

M A R C H | A P R I L 2 0 0 3 A Publication of the Association of British Columbia Professional Foresters

22FORUMMarch | April 2003 OBITUARIESMEMBER NEWS

Henry Neil Marshall RPF (Ret) #375,Life Member1926-2002Harry Marshall wasborn November 16,1926 in Nelson,Lancashire, England and passed away on October 4,2002 in Victoria.

Harry graduated with a degree in forestry from Bangor, North Wales in 1947 and then spent eight years working in the forests of northern Thailand. While there, he wrote and published Elephant Kingdom that chronicled his many adventures, including logging with elephants. Harry and his wife Morforwyn (Morwyn)emigrated to BC in 1958 and he began working with the BC Forest Service, posted to Prince George, Kamloops and Vernon before settling in Victoria in 1963. There he worked with the planning division before becoming director of the new recreation branch, the position he held up to retirement in 1985

Harry became a registered professional forester in 1961 and was made a life member of the association in 1987. Harry's contributions to forestry in BC are many, with a special one being his establishment of the successful forest recreation program in 1971, in spite of very limited budget and staff. The program included forest landscape management, which was ahead of its time as a part of integratedforest management.

After a full career in forestry, he raised another sail and became a contributing member of the Royal Victoria Yacht Club,where he happily skippered his Cal 20 to many hard-fought last place finishes.

Harry is greatly missed by Morwyn—his wife of 48 years—his three children, Richard, Lorna and Ann, and his five grandchildren. His humour, presence and love will be missed by all who knew him.

- Contributed by Harry Drage, RP

Thats him thank you very much. You really made my day.Yes Harry wasnot first across the finish line but was well loved by all who knew him. My club and I shall be so happy to read hid fine writing.

I canot say how happy I am and so pleased to have gotten help with this.Thank you again