What Do You All Do In Your Retirement

retiredat50

What Do I Do In my Retirement you ask?

That's easy to anwer...

1. I'm an outdoor writer, so I'm always working on an article or book.

2. I'm an illustrator for magazines and sell paintings separately. That keeps me very busy.

3. I'm an ardent angler, so I'm often out fishing somewhere.

4. I love beautiful women, so they occupy my little bit of free time.

5. I enjoy hiking and exploring when I'm not fishing.

6. I take photos of everything, incuding what I need for magazines and illustrations.

Oh, and I waste far too much time on internet forums.

I was 49 when I arrived in CM...thought I could make a fist of a few business ideas

But alas I was not as clever as I thought....those that know me know this already though !!! :D

Just because I was a reasonably good businessman in the UK counted for nothing here. :D

So I gave up and got a retirement visa :D

Now I don't have to worry about work or business any more, and can spend all my days lounging around.....how great it is not to experience those Monday Morning Blues.....thats if I REMEMBER it's Monday :)

Every day is a Sunday now.....and I love it :D

My advice to the OP is simply..If you don't HAVE to try to earn a living then don't bother...enjoy Chiang Mai...the weather's great right now, every day is like one of the three nice weekends you get each year back in Blighty

My advice to the OP is simply..If you don't HAVE to try to earn a living then don't bother...enjoy Chiang Mai...the weather's great right now, every day is like one of the three nice weekends you get each year back in Blighty

Words of wisdom !

Here comes the 4-month season of 'thinking about making a start on an action-plan for my retirement time', to be followed by the 2-month 'can't see the wood for the burning-trees' season, then the 6-month 'posts about rain or lack of it' posting-season.

God it's just one long tread-mill ! I'm thirsty ... pass the beer ! :)

I am always impressed by the number of people who buy into the notion that nonsensical actions that are required of us but paid for, somehow have greater value than the things we do for ourselves without financial renumeration, regardless of what others might think. Whatever you love to do, it should matter little whether you are a professional or an amateur. Just enjoy the freedom of retirement.

Edited by villagefarang

I'm like david Wright 4 post in front.Do absolutely nothing.Forget about A business.Just do whatever comes up.It's not hard to go to the gym,movies,motorcycling.Plenty of things to do.

Doing nothing is good :D

Been doing "nothing" since I turned 40 and it hasn't killed me yet, at 55. Then again I always hated "work".

When I'm asked what I do during the day, I tell people,

"I am so busy doing nothing all day, I just don't have time to do anything else !"

I had a funny theory about those of us who have had an extreme urgent to stop working earlier than normal. I call it the "defective work gene" theory. That particular gene for some of us begins to decay over time. After it has totally decayed, the idea of work become abhorrent to us and causes much mental anguish. It may decay in a matter of a few years or may take up to a life time. I am sure glad most people continue to have healthy work genes so they can keep the economy and social security going for those of us with this dreaded deformity. :)

Does anyone remember "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis", a late 50's sitcom. Dobie's high school buddy was American television's first beatnik, Maynard G. Krebs (Bob Denver). Krebs had a deep aversion to the word, Work, Maynard was convinced life is for enjoying. His work gene was gone by the the time he entered high school, it was a very sad case.

Loved Maynard, though I didn't follow his path. He was a cool dude, though.

Really easy to say "What Do You All Do In Your Retirement". Everyone does something different. Some do volunteer work, some start a small business, some do diddly-squat and drink themselves to death, and some become gym rats who pump iron all day.

I retired at 54, and moved here about 3 years ago.

Just went back to the US for my 1st visit since I left to visit family and friends; attend to some business.

I was asked by almost all of the people I visited, in an almost anxious tone of voice: "But what do you DO?".

I smiled at them, and said: "Nothing. Absolutely nothing".

Drives 'em crazy when you tell them that..... :)

. . . . I was asked by almost all of the people I visited, in an almost anxious tone of voice: "But what do you DO?".

Drives 'em crazy when you tell them that..... :D

Fools somehow seem almost to deserve being lied to like that, don't they? :)

Well I'm sure it's not the worst possible place. Certainly anywhere would be a better place to start a business than where I am now.

Why is Chiang Mai the worst possible place?

If you have your mind set on a small business in CM I suggest you buy a big business and within 12 months it will be a small one, goal achieved !

But seriously spend some time in CM BEFORE you even think about investing money here. The economy is fragile ,from my observations, and as for retirees working, who are on a retirement visa, its simply not allowed.

Just went back to the US for my 1st visit since I left to visit family and friends; attend to some business.

I was asked by almost all of the people I visited, in an almost anxious tone of voice: "But what do you DO?".

Drives 'em crazy when you tell them that..... :D

Beats telling them "I moderate an online forum for old grumpy people." :)

WTK

What do you do while retired? Well, I try to do what I could not do while I was working..I.E. NOT WORK! Exsercise in the gym, swim, eat well, relax, travel, have more sex and then some more, smile, not take risks with my hard earned money...Enjoy where I live, spend time with like minded non serious people.Not bogging myself down by buying a large property until I really know where I want to live.Most of all take pleasure in the fact i don't do what I used to do and do what I want to! Does that make me the odd one out?lol

Right on Dave!!! Good choices for anywhere.