What Download Speeds Do You Get With True 4mb?

MaiDong

I've recently switched from TOT to True, I used to get great speeds with TOT but for other reasons I switched(silly me).

Following on from my other thread(s) trying to trace the root of my problem I would like to know what speeds other users here in Bangkok are getting.

I can connect to a neighbours wifi and get pretty good speeds, all I can tell is that they are using a Linksys router, no mention of their ISP.

I've deducted that it's none of my 3 computers that have a problem, I've concluded that my computers on another connection work just fine, so what is going on? Is it my router? Or is it just True?

I recently had a very helpful thaivisa.com member visit my home and help me work out a few problems with regards to home networking but we were unable to pinpoint the connection problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

p.s. what settings do you use with your client? This would help me deduct my client settings from the root of the problem too.

I've recently switched from TOT to True, I used to get great speeds with TOT but for other reasons I switched(silly me).

Following on from my other thread(s) trying to trace the root of my problem I would like to know what speeds other users here in Bangkok are getting.

I can connect to a neighbours wifi and get pretty good speeds, all I can tell is that they are using a Linksys router, no mention of their ISP.

I've deducted that it's none of my 3 computers that have a problem, I've concluded that my computers on another connection work just fine, so what is going on? Is it my router? Or is it just True?

I recently had a very helpful thaivisa.com member visit my home and help me work out a few problems with regards to home networking but we were unable to pinpoint the connection problems.

p.s. what settings do you use with your client? This would help me deduct my client settings from the root of the problem too.

True is very hit and miss and I don't know why. But generally I'd say it is unstable.

I had True installed yesterday (back to the wall, no other option), the 3MB service comes up 4mb. It's good, but has those tale tell signs of complete 'net fail' for a few minutes. And I know when it rains I'll lose the service in part or completely.

Look you can tinker around all you like, but until you create you will get no satisfaction at all, take it from someone with 5 years experience of Thailand.

But you kind of gave the solution, go back to TOT- not perfect but it's copper wires at least make it dependable in what is woeful country for the internet, as well as other things.

True is very hit and miss and I don't know why. But generally I'd say it is unstable.

I had True installed yesterday (back to the wall, no other option), the 3MB service comes up 4mb. It's good, but has those tale tell signs of complete 'net fail' for a few minutes. And I know when it rains I'll lose the service in part or completely.

Look you can tinker around all you like, but until you create you will get no satisfaction at all, take it from someone with 5 years experience of Thailand.

But you kind of gave the solution, go back to TOT- not perfect but it's copper wires at least make it dependable in what is woeful country for the internet, as well as other things.

I think you hit the nail on the head, I've had True, then TOT, then True, my first stint with True ended up in them giving me 9 months of free internet(without me asking) and my TOT days were good, my TOT bill was disputed in the end so I ignored their payment demands & I moved to True - I'm in a sticky position as far as that concerns but anyway, what do you know about copper wires and all that? Is that a metaphor for simply better service or is True trying to take a more advanced approach whilst TOT is sticking with proven technology? If so then I think the entire("falang") population needs to know this before they commit :)

Thanks for your fast reply anyway, I appreciate any input :D

Are you using the default Zyxel router that True gave you? When I received mine from True it came miss configured and was a real pain to get running stable. If this is the way the ship all of their modem/routers I'm not surprised so many people complain... talk about non existent QA. Anyway, I got the Zyxel configured properly but it was always horrible with torrents and would crash with too many connections.

Solution: I purchased a Linksys WRT54GL, installed tomato firmware, configured the Zyxel for bridge mode, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I can max out my True line with most any torrent with a decent number of seeds/peers. Obviously the more local peers the better, but I can always max out my line with several slower torrents.

Are you using the default Zyxel router that True gave you? When I received mine from True it came miss configured and was a real pain to get running stable. If this is the way the ship all of their modem/routers I'm not surprised so many people complain... talk about non existent QA. Anyway, I got the Zyxel configured properly but it was always horrible with torrents and would crash with too many connections.

Solution: I purchased a Linksys WRT54GL, installed tomato firmware, configured the Zyxel for bridge mode, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I can max out my True line with most any torrent with a decent number of seeds/peers. Obviously the more local peers the better, but I can always max out my line with several slower torrents.

That's interesting surface, I've been thinking about buying a new router for my connection, I've persevered with my ZeXEL router for economic reasons - some other TV members have said it's worth persevering but I'm sure it's the router that is giving me problems! If I buy the same router as you(for examples sake) would you mind giving me the settings you use so I can see if it is in fact the router that is the problem?

That's interesting surface, I've been thinking about buying a new router for my connection, I've persevered with my ZeXEL router for economic reasons - some other TV members have said it's worth persevering but I'm sure it's the router that is giving me problems! If I buy the same router as you(for examples sake) would you mind giving me the settings you use so I can see if it is in fact the router that is the problem?

The main reason why I never recommend anyone use ISP supplied modems/routers. Most come with ISP firmware or have been altered in some way.

A common fallacy when it comes to torrents: The more global connections, the better. << Nothing could be further from the truth... If anything, setting this number too high will degrade overall throughput. Most home bound routers will choke at anything above 200 concurrent connections. I have mine set to 130.

For starters, take a look at Conservative Settings Chart for uTorrent. This is an excellent guide and should give you a pretty good idea of how to setup uTorrent for optimal performance.

Test your connection and torrent settings by downloading from a well-seeded torrent. << You should be able to download at full speed. Anything less, you've probably got a problem somewhere.

Edited by Supernova

I'm on a True 8mg line - but if the seeders have opened up thier bandwidth i can easily pull down torrents at 1.4mg tho - so i think True have given me more than an 8mg line.

Having done speed tests with various tools over various locations, i get a steady 5mg connection to the US, 14mg to Bangkok and about 2-3mg to Europe

I think you hit the nail on the head, I've had True, then TOT, then True, my first stint with True ended up in them giving me 9 months of free internet(without me asking) and my TOT days were good, my TOT bill was disputed in the end so I ignored their payment demands & I moved to True - I'm in a sticky position as far as that concerns but anyway, what do you know about copper wires and all that? Is that a metaphor for simply better service or is True trying to take a more advanced approach whilst TOT is sticking with proven technology? If so then I think the entire("falang") population needs to know this before they commit :)

I've asked around and a likely cause could be your router. Both myself and a friend have a similar set up in our rented apartment which is serviced by an engineer. I've just had mine put in, but my friend got his a couple of months ago and the engineer sometimes needs to do something to the router in order to rescue his fast deteriorating service, I've no idea what at this stage. No doubt I'll have the same prob.

A number of people are reporting a dramatic improvement lately, now me too. I can't believe the service I'm getting now, so good. So stick at it is now my advice. And I understand customer services could be a genuine help too due to recent improvements.

But to go back to the copper wires: the story I was told is that TOT and TRUE harness existing telephone cabling to deliver land services. TOT has older, copper cables in the main which are better, whereas TRUE use fibre optics or similar I think. Certainly the difference seems plausible, eg, if you live in Bangkok you notice that 30 mins after a downpour, the signal deteriorates awfully and surfing becomes a chore. I don't know though, be interested if a boff can shed any light.

Another thing about TRUE seems to be the tendency to drop web pages, and certain failures on web sites such as Ebay or Facebook, in this instance switch to opendns.com for your DNS settings.

I am using the True supplied Billion ADSL modem into my Belkin Ni wifi router. I have True 4MB service and it sucks. My friend across the street is on True and says he is very happy and getting excellent download speeds. I generally get 6-20 Kbs, occasionally 35-60 Kbs. But, it disconnects often. I have had True engineers round several times and they always say its my wifi that is the problem and then try to sell me a Wifi G router.

In the main, I am totally unimpressed with service and engineers from True.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having problems, I can't use both my internet for browsing AND uTorrent - I've tried turning down every setting on uTorrent so that it hardly use any bandwidth at all but still the internet won't work, it's ridiculous, I'm going to buy a new router today so I'll post my results here, hope this works! :)

Result! I took my 3 year old - TOT issued - Thompson modem to my local shop, they configured it, I bought it home and straight away, I'm getting 400kB/s downloads whilst browsing the internet, that True modem/router turned out to be the problem :)

Result! I took my 3 year old - TOT issued - Thompson modem to my local shop, they configured it, I bought it home and straight away, I'm getting 400kB/s downloads whilst browsing the internet, that True modem/router turned out to be the problem :)

told u it has always been the problem :D

True are definitely giving higher speeds and have been since they introduced the first 8MB package. I'm maxing out with utorrent at 362K on my 2MB package (using my own router), which means they're giving me nearly 4MBs for the price of 2. They've also increased upstream - my router is reporting 605kbps. Never had any significant reliability issues with True in 3 years of use at 2 different apartments in 2 completely different parts of the city (BKK).