Chiang Mai 2nd Largest City In Thailand?

gotlost

Can someone provide me with the information that supports the statement that Chiang Mai is Thailand's 2nd largest city? I see figures for population of 146k to 214k (google) and ranking as high as the 5th most largest city but not number 2. Remember the city officially stops at the supper highway and does not include the metropolitan area.

Can someone provide me with the information that supports the statement that Chiang Mai is Thailand's 2nd largest city? I see figures for population of 146k to 214k (google) and ranking as high as the 5th most largest city but not number 2. Remember the city officially stops at the supper highway and does not include the metropolitan area.

Just run provinces on google for true population using provinces. that is the trading area. city pop is irrelevant for all practical purposes. Cm near 1.5m

None of the figures from Thai ministry reflect movement of Thais, temp workers, illegal immigrants, nor tourist. Only Lord B might know the real totals.

I had the same inquisition of the Thailand population of 64 million. I searched under google; city search i.e. Ubon, Chiang Mai, etc

and found that Ubon Ratchathani (inclusive of their districts) had the 2nd highest population, second was Chiang Mai, and then Khon Kaen. (there are many reports posted on the web so may be inquiry within the Bangkok land ministry.)

ive heard of drive thru burger joints but not supper highways, is that the fast lane? :)

I had the same inquisition of the Thailand population of 64 million. I searched under google; city search i.e. Ubon, Chiang Mai, etc

and found that Ubon Ratchathani (inclusive of their districts) had the 2nd highest population, second was Chiang Mai, and then Khon Kaen. (there are many reports posted on the web so may be inquiry within the Bangkok land ministry.)

Nobody seems to know anymore :) and depends on where you search. My search gives it as Nakon Ratchasima (Korat) being a large industrial province. Then it's Khon Kaen then Chiangmai. Ubon is not even listed :D

Simple.... The supper highway is the one with the most road kill

:)

Correct...

It comes in large economy size suppers...

moose415c48d_sized.jpg

And afternoon snacks.

Road_kill_Em.jpg

There's usually a group willing to accept the leftovers.

Grizzly_family.jpg

As far as the population of the Chiang Mai province I heard it was about 1.5 million people. I would imagine the population of the city of Chiang Mai is around 100,000.

2. Remember the city officially stops at the supper highway and does not include the metropolitan area.

Says who? The City District (Amphur Muang) continues for quite a bit further beyond the super highway in some directions. Picking the superhighway is pretty arbitrary. In fact I think that limiting it only to Amphur Muang is too restrictive.. Tons of Moo Bans with people who work and party in Chiang Mai; downtown is a 10 minute drive for them even though they're outside Amphur Muang; clearly those people should count.

(Same for any other cities you'd compare with.)

I believe Khorat is probably biggest, not counting BKK obviously. Chiang Mai is clearly bigger than Khon Kaen and Udon and I sometimes see Udon being listed as having a larger population.

IMHO a good measure is to count the number of Hypermarkets like Tesco and Carrefour.. Those companies don't go buy guess work or stale goverment data.. When they chunk down a mega store somewhere then it's becsause there's real people living there that they want to sell to.

Chiang Mai is the second largest province by area only. It is not the second largest city or province by population only by area. The TAT website is wrong. If you check with people that really know something, they won't say that Chiang Mai is the second largest city, because it isn't.

This is a great thread. Why would anyone care (other than newbie "gotlost" who seems to care about everything) who is #2, other than Avis?

Hey sunshine if I'm a newbie whats does this make you a dream in someones eyes or are you just brown nosing? :)

This is a great thread. Why would anyone care (other than newbie "gotlost" who seems to care about everything) who is #2, other than Avis?

Hey sunshine if I'm a newbie whats does this make you a dream in someones eyes or are you just brown nosing? :)

I would think he is going on the date you joined not the number of posts you have made .

Just to get back on topic for a moment :D

The following are quotes from the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP) http://www.unescap.org/esid/psis/populatio...hiang%20mai.htm :

"Chiang Mai, 761 kilometers by rail, approximately 700 kilometers by road north of Bangkok, with an area of 20,107.1 square kilometers, is Thailand’ s second largest city and capital of the northern region. Chiang Mai is administratively divided into 22 districts and 2 sub-districts:Muang Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao, Doi Saket, Fang, Hod, Mae Chaem, Mae Tang, Phrao, San Kamphaeng, San Sai, Wiang Haeng, Chaom Thong, Doi Tao, Hang Dong, Mae Ai, Mae Rim, Omkoi, Samoeng, San Pa Tong, Saraphi, Chai Prakan and Mae Wang, Mae On sub-district and Doi Lo sub-district."

"Key statistics of population and households of Chiang Mai

(From Population and Housing Census 2000)

Items

Demographic characteristics

Total population (’000) 1,500.1

Population in Municipal Area (%) 26.5"

26.5% of 1,500.1 is 397,527 people. Somebody who is not hungry and going to dinner may look up other cities in Thailand to find one that is bigger :)

/ Priceless

Well as he's been here for over 4 years, and you for less than 2 months, I would say yeah you are definitely a noob in comparison.

Posting nearly 12 times a day does not detract from that, just demonstrates that you have waaay too much time on your hands.