Do You Make Your Own Homemade Butter?

kikoman

Yesterday on my way home from a family wedding, we stopped at Makro in Nakhon Sawan to do some shopping as we came to the butter section, I noticed the price of butter was 70 some baht and the Cheapest was 69 baht.

I am not going to keep on paying those prices, I looked at the margarine and that was about 58 baht.

Then I noticed Foremost Whipping cream for 40 baht a quart , and milk also was on special at 69 baht a good size carton. I purchased two of each.

When I arrived at home I got a pint mayonnaise bottle, empty of course, filled it 1/3 full of whipped cream, and shook it, shook it and shook it. After about 20 minutes, I opened it and found it had separated to butter and buttermilk. I poured the buttermilk in a container to use later and kept squeezing the butter to get all the butter milk out.

I remove the butter to a bowl and added a little salt, mixed it together and tasted good but nothing special. My wife put it in the fridge

and this morning put it on my toast, and it tasted great.

Out of that quart of whipping cream, I have made 3 batches of butter and I still have quite a bit of cream remaining in the container.

My ready made buying butter days are over, even if the price of whipped cream goes up to regular price, I still get more than in the packaged butter, with salt it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks and in the freezer up to 6 months.

If you ever thought about making your own butter now is the time, I do not know if the whipping cream is on sale in all Makro's or only in Nakhon Sawan.

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

post-72929-1257152854_thumb.jpg

Yesterday on my way home from a family wedding, we stopped at Makro in Nakhon Sawan to do some shopping as we came to the butter section, I noticed the price of butter was 70 some baht and the Cheapest was 69 baht.

I am not going to keep on paying those prices, I looked at the margarine and that was about 58 baht.

Then I noticed Foremost Whipping cream for 40 baht a quart , and milk also was on special at 69 baht a good size carton. I purchased two of each.

When I arrived at home I got a pint mayonnaise bottle, empty of course, filled it 1/3 full of whipped cream, and shook it, shook it and shook it. After about 20 minutes, I opened it and found it had separated to butter and buttermilk. I poured the buttermilk in a container to use later and kept squeezing the butter to get all the butter milk out.

I remove the butter to a bowl and added a little salt, mixed it together and tasted good but nothing special. My wife put it in the fridge

Out of that quart of whipping cream, I have made 3 batches of butter and I still have quite a bit of cream remaining in the container.

My ready made buying butter days are over, even if the price of whipped cream goes up to regular price, I still get more than in the packaged butter, with salt it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks and in the freezer up to 6 months.

If you ever thought about making your own butter now is the time, I do not know if the whipping cream is on sale in all Makro's or only in Nakhon Sawan.

Cheers

Yes, sure! Even here in Pattaya! I actually have a good friend who's family's been been making their own butter for a while now. Recently, his sister came for a visit; she's from Norway. Well, he and his girlfriend picked up Brunhilda at the airport and headed upcountry to his TGF's village. He came back with hilarious stories of cuture shock and the like- you know, east meets west... The first picture catches is his mother-in-law & sister-in-law's reaction, the day his sister came to churn. The second shot is Bruni, herself! The last picture is what I figure you'll be constructing soon... to sit in the backyard... somewhere near the horno. Good luck!

post-72929-1257152966_thumb.jpg

post-72929-1257152993_thumb.jpg

post-72929-1257152854_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Yes, sure! Even here in Pattaya! I actually have a good friend who's family's been been making their own butter for a while now. Recently, his sister came for a visit; she's from Norway. Well, he and his girlfriend picked up Brunhilda at the airport and headed upcountry to his TGF's village. He came back with hilarious stories of cuture shock and the like- you know, east meets west... The first picture catches is his mother-in-law & sister-in-law's reaction, the day his sister came to churn. The second shot is Bruni, herself! The last picture is what I figure you'll be constructing soon... to sit in the backyard... somewhere near the horno. Good luck!

I wish I had a churn, I am the only one that eats butter in my home. My ,wife and children do not eat it.

My wife is going to kill me if I keep building in the back yard. What is that in the second picture?

I fired up my Horno today and made 3 pizza to test it. They turned out great, next time I am going to pile everything on it. The big one is a Thai Sweet Pizza, I found something they like.post-91962-1257163269_thumb.jpg

Brunhilda, I wish you a happy visit in the land of smiles!

I buy my Echire -demi sel- butter from Central Chidlom food court it comes at nearly 300 bahts for 250 grams.

That's for my morning "tartine"... or afternoon "crepes"

For cooking, olive oil -first cold pressure- Carrefour brand is for the moment the best stuff that I have found in LoS...

When you love, you don't count :)

How do you make it from milk if you buy fresh milk from a local dairy ?

I do not know yet, I will find out as soon as I get access to some fresh milk, I would also like to make some cheese.

You separate the cream from the milk, Churn it or shake it in a closed container until it becomes solid. You need the cream from approx 9 litres of milk to make 500 gram of butter.

Edited by cyb

I buy my Echire -demi sel- butter from Central Chidlom food court it comes at nearly 300 bahts for 250 grams.

That's for my morning "tartine"... or afternoon "crepes"

For cooking, olive oil -first cold pressure- Carrefour brand is for the moment the best stuff that I have found in LoS...

When you love, you don't count :)

Good for you ,to each his own, Good Luck!

Cheers.

I wish I had a churn, I am the only one that eats butter in my home. My ,wife and children do not eat it.

I have made butter in a food processor, quick and easy.

I know there are easier ways to make butter, Shaking it in a jar gives me all the butter I need personally and much needed exercise.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

How do you make it from milk if you buy fresh milk from a local dairy ?

I do not know yet, I will find out as soon as I get access to some fresh milk, I would also like to make some cheese.

You separate the cream from the milk, Churn it or shake it in a closed container until it becomes solid. You need the cream from approx 9 litres of milk to make 500 gram of butter.

That is a lot of cream to make butter, I would like to find access to fresh milk to make Queso Fresco and now Mozzarella cheese. I still would probably be better to continue for me to make my personal butter from whipped cream,

Thanks for the info.

Cheers:

For those people not quite ready to build a butter churn take a look at the 5kg boxes of butter in Makro. They start at 510 baht for Orchid Classic. They are literally 5kg of butter wrapped in a plastic bag and put in a box, you can cut up chunks and freeze what you aren't going to use right away.

For those people not quite ready to build a butter churn take a look at the 5kg boxes of butter in Makro. They start at 510 baht for Orchid Classic. They are literally 5kg of butter wrapped in a plastic bag and put in a box, you can cut up chunks and freeze what you aren't going to use right away.

102 baht for each kilo of butter, huh? And butter is freezable with no ill-effects, too, eh? Whoa. That deal's good enough for me to put away my churn plans. Ok, off to Makro...

PS- (to Kikoman) 1: Bought some of your soy sauce today... you're welcome. 2: The second picture? It's Bruni... churning! Cheers, mate.

Edited by Michaelaway

My wife runs a bakery in Chiang Mai and we use a lot of butter. (the name of the bakery is Butter is Better.) I strongly advise against using orchid classic. lots of times it's rancid or has an off taste. it's not the same as the high quality orchid butter that comes in 250 or 500 gram units for consumer use.

My wife runs a bakery in Chiang Mai and we use a lot of butter. (the name of the bakery is Butter is Better.) I strongly advise against using orchid classic. lots of times it's rancid or has an off taste. it's not the same as the high quality orchid butter that comes in 250 or 500 gram units for consumer use.

Thank you for your information.

Cheers:

Thanks for the warning about the classic butter. I have only had one box of that which was fine but I'll continue to buy the regular Orchid or Allowrie as normal.

Sometimes it would be okay but very often not. We stopped using it over a year ago and maybe they have fixed the problem. Also, we use unsalted butter. Salted butter disguises off flavors better.

That is a lot of cream to make butter, I would like to find access to fresh milk to make Queso Fresco and now Mozzarella cheese. I still would probably be better to continue for me to make my personal butter from whipped cream,

Thanks for the info.

Hey Kikoman... are you sure the Foremost whipping cream is only 40 baht/quart? It seems to be more like 140 baht/liter (in Tops Supermarket).

Are we talking about the same thing??? :)

Thanks for the info.

Hey Kikoman... are you sure the Foremost whipping cream is only 40 baht/quart? It seems to be more like 140 baht/liter (in Tops Supermarket).

Yes we are talking about the same thing Foremost Fresh Whipping Cream, net content 946 ml, which was on special for 40 baht at "Makro" in Nakhon Sawan, and ดัชมิลล์ (dutch mill) milk 2 liter size for 69 baht, I purchased two of both.

I made butter out of the whipped cream and Paneer cheese out of the milk.

My quote was only for the items I purchased at Makro in Nakhon Sawan , I have not been in a Tops Market for about 5 years!

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Thanks for the info.

Can anyone tell me why the local butter you buy in the shops (I think one is the Orchid referred to here, it has pink/silver foil?) has such a strange taste?

I cannot eat local butter due to this so now use the bland tasting margarine spreads such as Olive Grove.

I thought it might just be me but when went back to UK and the taste of butter I was bought up on I could not stop eating it the whole time I was there as bread (good quality) and butter is a serious addiction to me!