One Year Visa

Hi,

My Thai wife and I are having a baby soon. We live in America and the baby will be born here. 2 months after the baby is born, we want to go to Thailand with the baby. We are considering leaving the baby with her mom in Thailand for one year. That way, my wife and I can come back to America, both work full time, and try to make some extra money because we really need it to pay bills. Does the baby need a passport? Does the baby need a visa, and if so, we need a one year visa? Also, the baby will be born in America so it will be an American citizen, but will he (it's a boy :)) be a Thai citizen too?

Thanks

Hi,

My Thai wife and I are having a baby soon. We live in America and the baby will be born here. 2 months after the baby is born, we want to go to Thailand with the baby. We are considering leaving the baby with her mom in Thailand for one year. That way, my wife and I can come back to America, both work full time, and try to make some extra money because we really need it to pay bills. Does the baby need a passport? Does the baby need a visa, and if so, we need a one year visa? Also, the baby will be born in America so it will be an American citizen, but will he (it's a boy :) ) be a Thai citizen too?

Thanks

You need to apply for Thai citizenship at Thai embassy or Thai Consul in America. Let the mother do that for the baby. It might take a while specially when you want a Thai passport as well. Alternatively, you can apply for those (citizenship and passport) here in Thailand. Or you just do nothing. A child can overstay and will not be fined until he/she is seven years old. I didn't know that and took my children to Malaysia and Hong kong. That was 20 and 18 years ago so the law might has changed, please check with the embassy.

1) If child is born in US then Thai birth certificate will have to come from the US too. It cannot be obtained in Thailand. Easier to apply for passport in US at same time as obtaining Thai birth certificate, and will avoid needing to obtain visa if using US passport for entry into Thailand.

2) Over 14 is the age limit at which children are now fined for overstay.

Edited by thaiphoon

As Thaiphoon said, you will need to obtain a Thai birth certificate with a consulate or embassy in the US first, as proof that he is a Thai citizen.

You can't get a Thai passport without a Thai birth certificate. In addition, you can't get a Thai passport in Thailand without being registered on someones household book.