Priorities Changing

neverdie

You came over with the US military SBK? :)

:D

:D No, just itchy feet and a yearning to experience other cultures (get your mind out of the gutter jamie :D )

SBC, Everybody keeps telling me Im old, but Im a young man I tell ya.....probably younger than you :D

I know mate am sure you are, just joshing.

I wouldn't count on that if I were you samuibeachcomber :D

Mind in the gutter, you hold such a low opinion of me? I thought maybe you came over on a Marlyn Monroe type exercise and never left? :D

Stay in Thailand long enough and you'll realise the the little shower is much more hygienical than both toilet paper and leaves :)

This thread made me think of my old friends and how they strive to reach their goals, house and car paid by 55 and then retire, and when they finally can, they realise that their lives already passed by on the way

Both priorities and expectations change in Thailand, thank God :D

Good points, Mikey. Evenually, you look around at all the crap you've collected over the years and say to yourself... "Who NEEDS all this shit?" Most of it you couldn't sell for more than 5% of what it cost you, and the value of your home is just passed on to your heirs. People get married to their property and don't have any time to live. Fortunately, instead of going for big money, I chose to enjoy myself and I picked a career where I could do all the things I enjoy doing every day of the year. In effect, I never DID have to go to work. I didn't earn much money, but enough for a pension to keep me happy until I die. My two kids will get the home I live in. It's kept me fit and healthy, and young at heart. Thailand has certainly kept me young.

It's tough to say as I am not sure if my changes are do to age or being here for a decade - no doubt some conditioning taking place.

Don't think my standards have gone down during this time - but my expectations have. Which could be a good thing.

My opinion doesn't count, I was only 22 when I came to Thailand. :)

Thailand is indeed different for those of us who came young. Me?… first time just before my 21st birthday and then moved here after finishing my education.

As for me, came here first at a tender age of 18 years, took my Master degree [Merchant Marine], @ 23 in Blueberry land & never went back. Quit working 15 years ago, residing at a simple house, almost zero maintained [one coat of paint 4 years ago, a couple of times a bad shave of the turf. Very happy & nil problem with anyone here.

6 years ago saw me living in London earning a very tidy wage for someone in his late twenties, I had a pad in Primrose Hill and was living with a lass who made even more then me. I vividly remember going out to buy a pair of sunglasses from Camden - I ended up buying a pair of D&G glasses costing about 250 quid. It wasn't quite a 'money no object' purchase, but I wouldn't have dreamed of buying anything under a hundred quid.

Flip forward to yesterday (if that makes sense)... my Thai GF bought me a new pair of sunnies as the ones I'd had had broke whilst I was cleaning them (not the D&G's if you're wondering - I lost those). She asked me to guess how much they cost - "I hope no more than 200 Bhat", I quipped. She seemed to take offense at that, but I was unsure if I'd guessed too high or too low... "59 Bhat!" she piped back.

It really made me chuckle how my priorities had changed - a quid for some shades? Too right mate!

Similar to myself Thai Fox, was living and working in Brighton but with many frequent (free) trips up to the big smoke. We'd eat at London's top restaurants followed by a nightclub with a minimum spend rule of £500 - £1000 per table and then the next day watch the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea with drinks in the players lounge afterwards. Nowadays I'm much happier here working for much less £££, eating dishes for 25-50baht instead of £25-£50 and wearing a 100baht t-shirt rather than a £100 shirt!

I lived in an immaculate environment back home. But now I no longer have the same standards about living in clean living conditions. A gnat in my house used to disturb me, but here I've gotten used to cobwebs everywhere, flies crawling over food I am about to eat, dust covering everything, seeing trash/garbage scattered about, very loud old trucks, everything looking like it was once new about 500 years ago, no screens and open doors, a bug in my drinking water, something unknown but scary picked out of my hair, etc, etc. It's amazing, but I just accept them all now. Mind boggles my friends back home how I live here. :)

Edited by ThailandLovr

since bein in thailand only a yr now ive already realised that most things ppl living in uk really care about dont matter for instance mortgages,nice car, materiastic stuff etc. the main thing to have is happiness if u have this u doin better than most!

Humidity in Thailand have made me lazy, then 9 years later, well even more lazy. Indoors no problem when I can open the aircon to 25 degrees at least, then do something.

But the garden do suffer, so somehow I found it easier to pick up my wallet and have missus call the local gardener. Pitty though, I could shure need the exersice.

However I waked up one early morning 4am, and went out to the garden quiet cleaning up a bit as it was not soo hot. 1 hour later my missus came out and ask me, if I was OK? :):D:D

Life prior to Thailand was too restrained. I organized, prioritized to no end, set goals for myself and for others, worked harder than anyone I knew, and pissed off more people than I cared to remember.

Being a pr!ck, in some eyes, got me here and now I can just relax. I just go with the flow and try not to piss people off. To answer the OP, yes Thailand has changed my priorities. Now, I just want to laugh and have good times vs. kicking ass and taking no prisoners.

since bein in thailand only a yr now ive already realised that most things ppl living in uk really care about dont matter for instance mortgages,nice car, materiastic stuff etc. the main thing to have is happiness if u have this u doin better than most!

Good luck living in your shack without power, TV, or hot water. If you have indulged and purchased these conveniences, you are materialistic as rest of us. You just have less money.

Seriously, I get your point. Your post seems a little idealistic though.