Gymkhana Club Massage.

DavidOxon

For those that use Gymkhana . . . and maybe those who don't

I would like to thoroughly recommend the Massage there . . .

probably the best massage I've had in Chiang Mai . . lady name of Goong.

Very relaxing, very soothing. . . and only 150bht (I think)

Cheers

David

I was going to ask David where this was, but did a Google search as it quick enough. For those of you wondering, this place is located at:

349 Chiang Mai - Lamphun Road, Chiang Mai

Apparently, it's been established since 1898 and is the oldest sports club in Thailand.

David, are non-members allowed to enter and use the massage?

Aitch

Cheers

David

Hello David

Is Goong under 35 and does she give any extras?

I was going to ask David where this was, but did a Google search as it quick enough. For those of you wondering, this place is located at:

Apparently, it's been established since 1898 and is the oldest sports club in Thailand.

Aitch

The Gymkhana is open to 'members and non-members only'.  (everyone, to those that are a bit 'slow')

9-hole golf course, squash , tennis , cricket, bar and restaurant. Not to mention the massage.

A great place to relax and take in the view from the terrace.

Edited by KevinHunt

Cheers

David

Hello David

Is Goong under 35 and does she give any extras?

Gets my vote for the least tactful post of 2009!

Aitch

The Gymkhana is open to 'members and non-members only'.  (everyone, to those that are a bit 'slow')

9-hole golf course, squash , tennis , cricket, bar and restaurant. Not to mention the massage.

I have it on reasonably good authority that Mr Hunt is a member of said club, and hence a shareholder.....one day back as a sponsor and plugging another of his ventures!!!!

I have it on reasonably good authority that Mr Hunt is a member of said club, and hence a shareholder.....one day back as a sponsor and plugging another of his ventures!!!!

I heard that you were thinking of joining - well, I'm sorry to inform you, as a member in good standing, if it goes to a vote, I'm putting a black ball into the hat. :)

Edited by KevinHunt

Aitch

That`s easy to establish. Just look for the no riff raff sign outside the main entrance and I bet they don`t serve Leo beer.

And as for my question about, goon the massage lady, that`s a no, than?

Edited by sassienie

At least he does not pretend to be here for the culture! :)

Sorry Ulysses, I have been rude and never thanked you for all your help with my trip to Pattaya.

Although I didn`t think much of the city it`s self, your hotel venue and places to visit advice were very useful. I followed your advice and the hotel was excellent, so was the coffee shop around the corner where I meet, little hot, Nee. I would tell you more about her and of our aventures together, but I don`t want to get banned from ThaiVisa.

Thank you Ulysses, I owe you some drinks.

You are welcome sassienie.

I was hoping to run into you down there as I was staying at the same hotel and thought that I might recognize you from Chiang Mai, but I think that you came down a day or two after I returned to Chiang Mai.

I am glad that you met Nee. She sounds like a most intriguing individual and I would love to hear more about her.

I trust that she is under 35 and very special? :)

... snip ... if it goes to a vote, I'm putting a black ball into the hat. :)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Kevin,

Nice to have you back ! The place was getting a little too squeaky-clean for our tastes.

But, while lauding your passionate devotion to the purity of the G. club, we pray you, esteemed friend, not to sacrifice one of your precious testicles for its sake. That Cambodian magic (sanae Khmen) is the most potent, no doubt (often used by Thai politicians), but please keep in mind the many, many, tales, legends, and myths, that convey the danger of using such supernatural means ... even if the user believes they serve a higher-purpose in their use.

Your brothers in artifice, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

You are welcome sassienie.

I was hoping to run into you down there as I was staying at the same hotel and thought that I might recognize you from Chiang Mai, but I think that you came down a day or two after I returned to Chiang Mai.

I am glad that you met Nee. She sounds like a most intriguing individual and I would love to hear more about her.

I trust that she is under 35 and very special? :)

I took a photo of her in my hotel room.

The room was dark, so the photo is not very good.

From the front of the hotel, turn right. In the soi with the 7/11 on the corner, there is a small coffee shop about 20 metres down on the right. That`s where she works.

Edited by Wolfie
/Removed Photo - Please ensure you have the persons permission before posting such photos on this site - thanks! :) /Wolfie

Aitch

It is the oldest sports club in SE Asia

Aitch

I don't think the Gymkhana Club needs any "plugs"

If one has been in Chiang Mai for more than a few months and they don't know anything about the Gymkhana Club or where it is located then they know absolutely "zip" which I guess would be correct for many of the people who post on the Chiang Mai forum of TV in any event.

The remarks about "extras" is inappropriate and I suggest the mod's might have exercised the option to delete the remark. :)

From the front of the hotel, turn right. In the soi with the 7/11 on the corner, there is a small coffee shop about 20 metres down on the right. That`s where she works.

Soi Honey. There are a lot of friendly young ladies on that Soi. :)

The coffee bar where Nee works is set back a bit from the road. It`s very small, has a few stalls inside and 4 white plastic chairs outside. The manageress there is about 40, speaks perfect English and knows Chiang Mai well.

My 6 days in Pattaya cost me 27000 baht that included the fare. So have to save up my pennies again before I can go again.

Maybe next time we could meet there.

... snip ... I took a photo of her in my hotel room. ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Sassienie,

Don't you have any pictures of fish ? Was the ocean that dark ?

best, ~o:37;

p.s. how do you think the person in the picture would feel about your posting her picture here ?

Edited by orang37

I don't think the Gymkhana Club needs any "plugs"

If one has been in Chiang Mai for more than a few months and they don't know anything about the Gymkhana Club or where it is located then they know absolutely "zip" which I guess would be correct for many of the people who post on the Chiang Mai forum of TV in any event.

I'm sure Iain was speaking in jest, as I was.

Actually, I happen to firmly believe that the Gymkhana does need plugging. My biggest complaint to every committee that's existed at the club is that it seriously lacks awareness in Chiang Mai. I happen to live very close the club, so if anyone ever asks where I live, it would be very easy to say 'in the soi opposite the entrance to Gymkhana'. the only problem is that the next question is 'where (or what) is the Gymkhana'. Having existed for over 100 years, everyone should know where or what the Gymkhana is. The fact that so many people don't, only highlights the need for publicity. 

If anyone does know about it, their general perception is that it is a stuffy old colonial expats hang-out and that it is a members-only exclusive club - not true. These days , the membership is mostly Thai and there are quite a few younger members playing golf, cricket and tennis. You don't need to be a member to use any of the facilities, including the bar/restaurant but in the long-run it is cheaper to be a member if you are a regular golfer. They let me be a member, so no-one can accuse them of being 'exclusive' (or discerning).

I would say that anyone who lives in Chiang Mai should visit the Gymkhana to discover a beautiful haven of tranquility right in town, and to learn some history of foreigners in Chiang Mai. It has many photos of Old Chaing Mai and pictures of the old members at the club. An uncle of Anna Leonowens (of The King & I, fame) was one of the original founding fathers.

If you're lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of my famous cross-court back-hand angle shot - poetry in motion!! Which reminds me - time to get my togs on and hit the court.

Check out the club at  http://www.chiengmaigymkhana.com.

Edited by KevinHunt

... snip ... I took a photo of her in my hotel room. ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Sassienie,

Don't you have any pictures of fish ? Was the ocean that dark ?

best, ~o:37;

p.s. how do you think the person in the picture would feel about your posting her picture here ?

"p.s. how do you think the person in the picture would feel about your posting her picture here ?"

Unfortunately 'orang37' some people lose the the ability to think when they are let loose in Pattaya :D

I think that is has something to do with the balls "regardless of whether they are red or black" :)

Edited by john b good

The coffee bar where Nee works is set back a bit from the road. It`s very small, has a few stalls inside and 4 white plastic chairs outside. The manageress there is about 40, speaks perfect English and knows Chiang Mai well.

My 6 days in Pattaya cost me 27000 baht that included the fare. So have to save up my pennies again before I can go again.

Maybe next time we could meet there.

What an utter prat....Nobody is interested in your puerile cavortings in Pattaya; the topic is massage at the Gymkhana club

If you're lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of my famous cross-court back-hand angle shot - poetry in motion!!

Do you play with white or black balls, KH ? :)

I'd agree with you that the Gymkhana Club is indeed very pleasant, the Cricket-Sixes (in April ?) are well worth visiting, I must get round to seeing the rest of the facilities some time. Do they ever run an Open-Day, to encourage newbies, to come and visit ?

If you're lucky, you might even catch a glimpse of my famous cross-court back-hand angle shot - poetry in motion!!

Do you play with white or black balls, KH ? :)

I'd agree with you that the Gymkhana Club is indeed very pleasant, the Cricket-Sixes (in April ?) are well worth visiting, I must get round to seeing the rest of the facilities some time. Do they ever run an Open-Day, to encourage newbies, to come and visit ?

No they don't but I'll mention it to the committe. It's always open to visitors anyway. I live opposite the place so if anyone wants a tour just PM me.

If anyone does know about it, their general perception is that it is a stuffy old colonial expats hang-out and that it is a members-only exclusive club - not true. These days , the membership is mostly Thai and there are quite a few younger members playing golf, cricket and tennis. You don't need to be a member to use any of the facilities, including the bar/restaurant but in the long-run it is cheaper to be a member if you are a regular golfer. They let me be a member, so no-one can accuse them of being 'exclusive' (or discerning).

Membership available.

Joining fee of 50,000 baht plus 18% VAT.

Monthly subscription of 600 baht plus VAT

Sorry, but the membership fee suggests to me that it is 'exclusive'. How many English teachers, for example, do you think can afford that?

I've never been, but it does look very nice. You say that you don't need to be a member to use the facilities. How does this work, and what is the cost to the non-member?

Out of interest, has anybody played in the Mcfie billiard room, and if so, what is it like? Couldn't find any pictures on the website.

Thanks.

Membership available.

Joining fee of 50,000 baht plus 18% VAT.

Monthly subscription of 600 baht plus VAT

Sorry, but the membership fee suggests to me that it is 'exclusive'. How many English teachers, for example, do you think can afford that?

I've never been, but it does look very nice. You say that you don't need to be a member to use the facilities. How does this work, and what is the cost to the non-member?

Out of interest, has anybody played in the Mcfie billiard room, and if so, what is it like? Couldn't find any pictures on the website.

Thanks.

As I said , it is a sports club that is open to all, but in the long-run, being a member is cheaper, but not compulsory. I think that as golf memberships go it is probably one of the cheapest. 50,000 baht is for a full, transferrable membership, a non-transferrable mebership is 30,000 baht, I believe. They also have yearly tennis or squash memberships for 5000 baht (no othere fees). As a visitor, tennis is 80 baht an hour, and golf is 150 baht for 9-holes , I think. I've haven't used the snooker room for a long while, but it is a full-sized snooker table.

The view from the terrace over-looking the magnificent rain-tree is well worth seeing. I believe it was recently voted 'the most beautiful tree in Chiang Mai' !!??