Thai Wife Owns Apartments.

Sorry I have tried looking, but am a bit lost.

The wife owns 10 apartments and gets about 40k a month in rent. Will I be able to stay in the country? What visa can I get? We are moving back from japan next April. I am 41 and have savings but no income as such. Hmm, well my shares this year provided about 3kGBP.

No idea if I will have to do visa runs etc and obviously we can do without this.

Wifey intends to work, but bad health may prevent me. If I "owned" the apartments would it help?

You can get one year multiple entry non-o with bit money in bank. That means border run every 90 days.

To get one year extension of stay which means no border runs but report your address in immigration office you need to have 40k month income or 400k in bank for 2 months prior applying. Wife's income not accepted anymore.

You could get that 40k rental income if you own the apartments but are you sure you can register all the apartments under your name within 49% foreign quota? And still it might be difficult to get the income accepted in immigration. Others probably can advice you more on this.

In any case get the non-o based on marriage to thai national as that is needed as base even if you go for the annual extension of stay. It gives you option to stay almost 15 months with 90 day border runs if you don't qualify for extension right away. And if you do you need to have non-o before applying so no harm done there.

Edited by MJo

You cannot obtain permission to stay based on Thai wife's assets/income. Maybe you can transfer the apartments to your name if within the 49% 'foreign owned' law. That might help you with income, but likely will need Thai company structure set up.

You can apply for single entry Non-O visa in your own country on the basis of Thai wife which would give you 90 day permission to stay on entry. Then apply for 12 month extension of stay based on marriage at Thai immigration if you meet the financial requirements: 400k in Thai bank account in your name for two months prior to first application (3 months for renewals) or 40k/month income (your income). If income from abroad you will need to obtain an income letter from your embassy. If income within Thailand, you will need to show tax receipts. If using the bank balance option you will need a letter from bank confirming the account balance and copies of bank book. No need for visa runs but you would have to report your address to immigration every 90 days.

Alternatively apply for 12 month multi-entry Non-O visa (KL will issue with correct documents and some money in the bank if you cannot obtain in your own country), but you would have to do border runs every 90 days. Do a border hop just before visa expires and you will get new 90 day permission to stay stretching visa to 15 months.

Many thanks. So am I right in thinking that the worst case scenario is a border run every 90 days even if I have no proof of money? But if I had 400k in the bank then basically I never have to leave Thailand again?

This is much better than I thought. :)

Actually the apartments are more like 30m houses. I mean they are all on the ground floor. I was thinking about not owning the land, but "leasing" the rooms for 30 years. That type of thing. Think it would work?

Thai embassy/consulate will need to see bank book with some funds to issue multi-entry visa. 400k in the bank for appropriate period before applying/renewing extension of stay would give continuous stay and is the easiest option. Foreigners cannot own land or buildings, but can have long lease arrangement. You would need to set up company structure to support and pay yourself salary, with associated overhead costs of monthly book keeping/annual auditing (which would be avoided if going the 400k route).

If you have an investement of more than 10 million baht, (the codo's in your name), you would be able to get an extension of stay based on that.

In case of an investment of not less than 10 million baht.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of money transfer to Thailand of not less than 10 million baht.

(3) Proof of investment to purchase or rent for a period not less than 3 years of unit in a condominium from an agency or government agency concerned at a price of not less than 10 million baht.

(4) Proof of investment in the form of a fixed deposit of not less than 10 million baht with a bank registered in Thailand with Thai shareholders comprising more than 50% of its shareholders.

(5) Proof of investment to purchase government or state enterprise bonds with a value of not less than 10 million baht or

(6) Proof of combined investments as set out in clauses (3),(4) Or (5) having a total value of not less than 10 million baht.

But you would need proof that you brought the money into Thailand!

Best option is to go for the 400,000 in the bank, in an account in Thailand in your name.

Sticking the 400k in the bank then drawing it down seems the way to go then.

Does that money need to come from outside Thailand? Can I just use the wifes money?

And what is the total cost per year for this visa?

many thanks, your answers really help. I hope this is the last.

Sticking the 400k in the bank then drawing it down seems the way to go then.

Does that money need to come from outside Thailand? Can I just use the wifes money?

And what is the total cost per year for this visa?

many thanks, your answers really help. I hope this is the last.

You obtain a non-O visa in japan, based on your marriage to a Thai. This will give you an entry for 90 days into Thailand.

When you are in thailand open up a bankaccount in your name and put 400,000 baht in there. The money doesn't have to be from abroad, but it has to be your money. If your wife gives it to you that is fine.

As soon as the money is in the bank for 2 months you visit the immigration office for the area where your wife is registered in a thabien baan, (blue household book). There you can ask for an extension of stay for 1 year, and every year after. The cost for the extension is currently 1,900 baht.

You will need a lot of papers to proof that you are actualy married and need to register your marriage in Thailand, if you didn't marry here. But it won't be difficult.

"As soon as the money is in the bank for 2 months you visit the immigration office for the area where your wife is registered in a thabien baan, (blue household book)."

That's true if you actually live there. If for any reason you live elsewhere, that's the imm office you use.

Many folks don't live where they're registered - for work or other reasons.

I've personally been involved in this so I know it's done.

"As soon as the money is in the bank for 2 months you visit the immigration office for the area where your wife is registered in a thabien baan, (blue household book)."

That's true if you actually live there. If for any reason you live elsewhere, that's the imm office you use.

Many folks don't live where they're registered - for work or other reasons.

I've personally been involved in this so I know it's done.

Before or after the regulation regarding using your own immigration area became into effect?

Did you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage?

Many thanks. So am I right in thinking that the worst case scenario is a border run every 90 days even if I have no proof of money? But if I had 400k in the bank then basically I never have to leave Thailand again?

This is much better than I thought. :)

Actually the apartments are more like 30m houses. I mean they are all on the ground floor. I was thinking about not owning the land, but "leasing" the rooms for 30 years. That type of thing. Think it would work?

It's not 400K but 800K and no, leasing the apartments would not be of any benefit. And again you can't buy them.

You're lucky to have a wife (a Thai) with a bit of dosh. Most expats pay through the nose for the priviledge of having a Thai wife or GF.

Edited by john b good

It's not 400K but 800K and no, leasing the apartments would not be of any benefit. And again you can't buy them.

You're lucky to have a wife (a Thai) with a bit of dosh. Most expats pay through the nose for the priviledge of having a Thai wife or GF.

People seeking an extension of stay based on retirement need to show 800,000 in the bank.

The extension based on having a Thai wife calls for 400,000 in the bank.

See the police order in the pinned topics in this forum.

You will need to obtain a work permit to work, and your employer would help you with that. WP can be issued if you have extension of stay based on marriage (but not on extension of stay based on retirement). Note that extension of stay is not a visa ...