Update On Phrao

coolxten

Last year, I took a bicycle trip to Mae Sai and stayed over for one night there. My friend and I wrote around the town and didn't find anything unusual, but that's just me. It appeared to be a typical small sleepy town. I don't recall much of a write up in the Lonely Planet.

I found a post dated back in 2006 about Phrao, and was wondering if any one has an update on how things are there. Anything interesting to do? How's the food? Has the market grown? See more tourists?

The wife and I have some good friends in Phrao they own 8 rai of Longan (Lam Yai) with 6 sows, 8 dogs 1 bungalow and 2 guest houses. He's a country boy from Newcastle. There are a few good Thai restaurants in the area and a good restaurant that does a pretty good western breakfast. None of the shops carey any western food. Phrao is about 100 Kicks North East of Chiang Mai and all of the supplies come up from CM. A buss ruins hourly from Warorot Market to Phrao. Population is under 10,000 but over 5,000 they have a 7 Eleven. They received their first ATM machine that could do foreign transaction this year. They are building two new colleges. The most farangas that I have seen at one time is 6 the most that my friends has seen is 12 in 3 days. He knows of 4 that live there full time and he is one of them. Tourist, what are they? Happy hour in Phrao is at the local shop where they sell Chang, Archer and Leo. Leo is 45 baht big. The market is still there and has grown some. There are a couple of nice small guest houses. Phrao is a neat small town but after 4 days and nights I'm ready for CM. Things to do: get up, sloop the hogs, feed the dogs pick the fruit, visit friends and drink beer, go fishing and check out the waterfall. :)

Edited by gotlost

I work out in Phrao often.

1. There are several resorts in the area that are quite nice. At least one (Doi Farang Bungalows) has a pool. Another nice one is Aomdoi Resort.

2. There are MANY new children's homes as well. From what I've counted, there are at least 5 rather large ones that started this past year.

3. There are quite a few foundations working in the area as well as missionaries.

In a recent trip, I stopped in at a noodle shop not too far from the main market They have several menus in English...which means that there must be a lot of tourists now stopping by. It's no surprise as the area is quite beautiful.

Thanks guys for the info.

Yes, I do mean the town 90 KM north of Chiang mai.

Gotlost - You mentioned fishing and a waterfall are these a short distance from town?

Does it get cold there during the winter? I'm guess it does but at night. I'm thinking about a trip there, but wondering if I should even bother.

Does it get cold there during the winter? I'm guess it does but at night. I'm thinking about a trip there, but wondering if I should even bother.

Well really !! What with a noodle shop,a Seven Eleven,Chang Beer, fish AND a waterfall what more could a man want?

Don't forget your wooly pyjamas for those cold winter nights.

Thanks guys for the info.

Yes, I do mean the town 90 KM north of Chiang mai.

Gotlost - You mentioned fishing and a waterfall are these a short distance from town?

All kidding aside Phrao and the area around is great. There is fishing just outside of town to some nice reservoirs 10-40 kilos from town. There is a nice waterfall about 3/4 of the way up the mountain to to the west of town that you can see. The locals are a bunch of great people.