Software Police Target Thai Businesses

george

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why have a go at the guys who don't know the details like this - A PC is supposed to come with Windows XP right? They all do?

A new pc is supposed to be delivered with at least DOS and any other OEM sofware (check the specs). Most cheaper hardware requires software that should be bought seperately.

If a shop pre-installs software, that doesn't mean that the software is legal.

I bought a new laptop recently with Windows Vista OEM-version Home Premium and Office Home/Student installed afterwards. Now I'm safe. My former laptop had (has) illegal software only.

It seems that the freeware "OPEN OFFICE" from Linux is extremely popular nowadays; because it is freeware, there is no license needed, but if it safe (spyware, hackerwise)? I don't know.

well, well.

this has happened to a printing shop in pattaya also. it is up 3rd road. the only thing she is doing all the time print cards menues. ect... when they came they have said "every program times 20 of the market price" she lost all her savings from many years of saving.

this is no good. they should put out a warning with a big fine.

This is going to be a nice little earner. I am aware that they are out and about in Bangkok as well. I know one biz owner who had to change all of their software, they had been warned though that they would be getting a visit in advance.

Happening in Chiang mai too apparently. What do these guys do when they are not having a crack down I wonder ?

I took the day off from work yesterday because of the rain and went in this morning and all the computers in the office where gone. i ask ..... and was told they hit all 3 offices on samui.... They said told the head person in the office that we could have them back for 200,000 baht each... some body is digging deep...

The financial crisis has hit hard so they are making 'hay' whilst the sunshines. This needs to go all over international media as it is simply a shakedown - unbelievable. :)

Edited by asiawatcher

I have some pirate software but my xp licence is legit...If I can afford software I'll buy the real license. I think most companies just use pirate xp because everyone else is doing it.... I think the crackdown is good... people will make the decision to either switch to linux or buy windows.

The other guy was right to suggest that they also crack down on shops that install pirate xp and other software suites.

I'm in Chiang Mai and went by my favorite computer vendor Ionon last week and asked if the new machines came with Win7 and the owner told me they were not installing any illegal software on the new computers he sold... but he had lots of boxes of legal Windows stuff for sale... Maybe times are changing...?

I don't know about other Western countries but most PCs that you buy in the UK come pre-installed with Windows whether you like it or not. And they are still much cheaper than in Thailand. So, maybe I won't get done for pirate software but for import duty on the laptop!

But why don't they do that here?

I have bought two computers from 'reputable' sources in the past year (not for myself): one a well-known supermarket chain, the other a shop from a well-known PC manufacturer in Fortune Town. Both came loaded up with illegal software including Windows XP.

Edited by madmitch

200.000 baht per pc... a bit expensive

but what about the customers list, the company's database, trade secrets that are kept hostage ...

data that could be sold to a competitor (or police as middleman could resell for big bucks ... )

in europe, there is also this maffia that comes to visit you, even without warrant and that plays police, judge and executioner...

will they remove the illegal software sellers in pantip and/or any department store ?

funny to see in the department stores when selling a new computer / laptop .... FREE OS they always put on it... meaning linux, but who uses that as an end-user

Software police target Phuket businesses

phuket-Phuket-Gazette-IT-Manager-Seubsak-Sahaworaphan-1-efAtoPS.jpg

Phuket Gazette IT Manager Seubsak ('Big') Sahaworaphan.

PHUKET: -- As part of a nationwide investigation, Phuket businesses are being investigated closely by police for using illegal computer software.

A Gazette source said a 'high profile' property investment firm was raided earlier this week.

Police are said to have seized hardware and software, all allegedly unlicensed. The company was given a million baht fine, the source said.

Following news of the raid, a number of Phuket businesses reportedly closed for the day.

Colonel Sarayuth Pooltanya, deputy commander of the Royal Thai Police Economic and Cyber Crimes Division (ECD), said late last month that "all businesses will have to ensure that they are compliant with the Thai Copyright Act."

"Major efforts" to target companies using pirated software began on October 26, he said.

A list of 1,000 suspect companies nationwide compiled by the ECD has been based on tips, some anonymous. These are typically from sources within the target companies.

Leads are also being shared by the Business Software Alliance, which runs a toll-free hotline and website for informants to report on the use of pirated and unlicensed business software.

In recent months, the ECD has stepped up enforcement of intellectual property rights in respect of software.

August marked one of the ECD's most successful months, with 15 substantial raids netting 54.5 million baht's worth of allegedly non-copyright software.

The raided companies came from a wide variety of industries, including manufacturing, real estate, automobiles, shipping, design and engineering.

Phuket Gazette IT Manager Seubsak Sahaworaphan said businesses should perform regular checks to make sure employees are not downloading illegal software.

“We use a software checking device called System Hound which is installed in all our computers and has a centralized network control point,” he said.

“The system performs regular checks on all of our computers and makes sure all licenses are up to date,” he said.

It was not reported if or when the probe would be expanded to include computer companies that load up hard drives with illegal software when selling new machines to customers.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette & The Nation 2009-11-05

-->> Get the Nation/Thaivisa news faster via SMS:

-->> 14 days free trial, dial *424010011 on your mobile

what about all the government dpartmenents? I believe many of them receive funds for legitimate software then install "pirated" ones and pocket the difference

This is good news! I am running a software company which develops open source ERP software to be run by open source software. In the whole development and production only open source is used.....

What we use?

Ubuntu as desktop and server, Eclipse, svn and Java for development, Postgresql for the database. Apache OFBiz ERP is the product.....

when they are going to visit me?

Regards,

Hans

I spent many years on the frontlines of anti piracy in Asia, initially in Singapore, then across South East Asia.

If they wanted to impact Pantip or MBK, it would take a day or 2 to figure out who the lookouts were, the runners and where they were storing the CD's on site and then tracked back to the mobile vans and offsite storage facilities, maybe even to the factories if they exist in Thailand. But don’t rely on a Thai to do this job. Somehow, his priorities are all out of whack.

Try buying a pirate Thai artist's CD and then you'll understand. Piracy of foreign software and music is seen as a victimless crime, or at least a crime that doesn’t affect Thai Intellectual Property and Thai company revenue, so it really doesn’t matter. A bit of lip service to the BSA and a few raids of foreign companies to stay off the International Watch List, a few smiling pictures in the Bangkok Post and everyone is happy...but nothing has changed.

The BSA are a like a toothless dog on a leash controlled by its Thai master. Not much of a watchdog.

Personally I have little respect for IP, but I hate it when I buy a 100 baht CD and it doesn’t work.

what about all the government dpartmenents? I believe many of them receive funds for legitimate software then install "pirated" ones and pocket the difference

They won't raid any government departments/schools/hospitals though because they will refuse to pay and the BIB will just have to lump it. Businesses, especially those who might be treading on someone else's toes in the property market, are the soft target.

If anyone is affected, back everything up and store it at a different site. Go to BKK to get a legitimate copy, because you sure can't find one here upcountry and the price of installing is far cheaper than what you'd pay in tea-money.

funny to see in the department stores when selling a new computer / laptop .... FREE OS they always put on it... meaning linux, but who uses that as an end-user

I do(for work too) - a Linux distribution called OpenSuse. I've also used Ubuntu in the past.

Great software, don't know why anyone would buy Windows or Mac.

A few years ago Linux was difficult to install and didn't have a wide range of apps. The two distros I mention above are fairly painless to install and setup and for most uses nowadays Linux software is fine. Plus a lot of traditionally desktop software is available online - Google Docs, even Photoshop!

Linux is definitely worth considering for business and personal use. If anyone wants more info PM me and I'll answer your questions.

All the best,

John

all part of the western world promising to help Thailand modernize providing it takes active steps to stamp out unlicensed software. make the most of Thailand while you can. the western world won't be happy until all nations are harmonized into one huge generic blob.

Amen to that.

Places like Tuk.com sell pirate software and could be raided and closed any day. Never happens

This is therefore targeted without real purpose, but other underlying reasons.

Anyone can visit Tuk.com and buy pirate software and/or a computer with it all loaded in - anytime!!!

If they can't close down actual business' in a shop, set up to sell pirate software how do they expect to ever be taken seriously or sincerely with these crackdowns!!

Edited by twix38

I do(for work too) - a Linux distribution called OpenSuse. I've also used Ubuntu in the past.

Great software, don't know why anyone would buy Windows or Mac.

A few years ago Linux was difficult to install and didn't have a wide range of apps. The two distros I mention above are fairly painless to install and setup and for most uses nowadays Linux software is fine. Plus a lot of traditionally desktop software is available online - Google Docs, even Photoshop!

Linux is definitely worth considering for business and personal use. If anyone wants more info PM me and I'll answer your questions.

All the best,

John

Hi.

I second that. I am responsible for a whole bunch of computers at my office and most of them have been "converted" from Windows XP (most of them genuine, some pirated) to Ubuntu and everyone is happy with it. Nobody has had any confusion of problems even though the switch was "cold turkey" like for myself, too - they left the office on Friday after shutting down their Windows and returned Monday morning to boot Ubuntu. A half-hour meeting to explain the differences was all that was required - as Linux comes with software (or such can be downloaded and installed free and legal) that equals those available for Windows, just the programs have different names but function essentially the same and often even better (Open Office does PDF right out of the box, for example, no need for the expensive Adobe Acrobat).

Right now only two machines in the entire office still run Windows and both of them genuine. I am pushing to have those on Linux, too, as apart from Windows there is not much genuine on them.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

I'm sure I read a thread a few weeks ago that they were trying to change the law so that they could prosecute people for using illegal software, but Abhisit hadn't allowed it because he said that sometimes people may buy the computers not knowing that it had illegal software pre-installed. Infact, after a quick search:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cabinet-Reje...ma-t304448.html

So how does this fit in relation to what they are doing in Phuket?

"Buying" pirated is software is so dumb when there's masses of free and legal open-source alternatives out there available for download.

Unless your needs are extremely specific, stuff like Open Office, Gimp, Audacity, Avira will keep your business running quite happily. Plus, you never know what other cr*p is lurking on those 99Bt CDs....

I'm sure I read a thread a few weeks ago that they were trying to change the law so that they could prosecute people for using illegal software, but Abhisit hadn't allowed it because he said that sometimes people may buy the computers not knowing that it had illegal software pre-installed. Infact, after a quick search:

<a href="http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cabinet-Rejects-Copyrights-Tradema-t304448.html" target="_blank">http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Cabinet-Reje...ma-t304448.html</a>

So how does this fit in relation to what they are doing in Phuket?

Seems the laws got changed anyway without Abhisit noticing.

Good to see that mice have been playing while the cat's been away. If the law got passed how come not a single one of the papers even bothered to mention it?

Once again in typical Thai fashion they are after the wrong guy. Cue a furious backdown by the cops if anyone in the cabinet gives a dam_n when this story gets bigger.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Here another tip: Check the computers from the policemen involved in the crackdown too, the tip is not even anonymous (only losers do so). But if you are using software that is stolen, why pay the middleman? Either pay the developer or pay nothing get it from a torrent site.

Or simply download Open Office software , which is compatible with MS Office'stuff and it is free. More tha adequate for most PC's and businesses www.openoffice.com

I tried to convince my Thai partners a month ago to go Open Source when I was re-formatting the HD's but they didn't want to change. Just showed them this piece and voila, Ubuntu we'll have lift off. Thanks to BiB, I'll get my way and convert all hardware in the office to Open Source next week.

As for sensitive business data being kept hostage or being sold to the competition...well, encrypt all important business data and keep copies on an external file server (I use DropBox for this, which part of 'My Documents'and keeps it all updated whereever I log in from). This way they can take your hardware but you can get to your data from anywhere, anytime. Then you can sit out there outrageous demands and see who blinks first.

Just my 2 satang.

:)

The Police prostitution rings, the Police drug money rings, the Immigration Shake downs have all bottom out... so time for a new Police Scheme...

I heard that the next crackdown will be on "fake prostitutes", usually imported from the eastblock countries and africa... Although they are working perfectly they are illegal and Thais are not allowed to work with. They even don't need a special key to open... but remarkably they are much more expensive than the genuine ones!

The experts from the crackdown department will test them all themselves in their offices after having removed them from their working places. :D:D:D:):D

In Jan '09 we received a letter by regular mail from the BSA. It was a questionnaire but apart from a cover letter it was all in Thai so I ignored it.

In May we got the same thing again form them by registered mail and again I ignored it because not even my wife or son could translate all the questions required to be answered.

Last week Monday a lady from BSA called and asked why we did not respond. My wife explained that we can only fill in the questionnaire if they have it in English and gave her our gmail e-mail address to send it to us. As of yet no word from them.

We have no problems as far as our two business PCs are concerned, they are clean. My only worry is that they may take the PCs away for inspection and then I'm stuck during that time.

opalhort

what a joke.

bust the companies paying taxes and employing tax paying staff, and let all the other filth slide.

What a joke. Why pursue a thief while you're letting other things slide? Just let him make away with the loot, he'll use it to feed his family and pay sales tax eventually.

Honestly, individual piracy is somewhat excusable, but when an investment company does it... not much sympathy. They're making their money by operating within a regulated environment, so they should respect laws as well.