Chiang Mai Source Of Rice Bran Powder ?

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

I take some rice bran oil every day for health (quite pleasant taste, actually), and lately I have been wanting to find an alternative source for protein other than the milk-whey based powder I am using now (just can't afford the non-dairy based protein powder like the Abbot Labs powder based on soy).

Appreciate hearing from you if you know of a source of rice bran powder which I understand has a "vanilla" like taste, and is high in protein.

thanks, ~o:37;

fyi :

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf9806964

http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutri...for-formulators

Wikipedia does mention a high inorganic arsenic content in rice bran compared to soy and wheat brans :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bran

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG, and Khun LannaRebirth,

@Khun UG, Thanks. Please Sir to kindly note the footnotes in the message and check them out at your own very leisure of time.

@Khun LannaRebirth, Thanks. We guess that you are using the rice bran as part of your mixture for feeding your canine friends ?

best, ~o:37;

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG, and Khun LannaRebirth,

@Khun UG, Thanks. Please Sir to kindly note the footnotes in the message and check them out at your own very leisure of time.

@Khun LannaRebirth, Thanks. We guess that you are using the rice bran as part of your mixture for feeding your canine friends ?

I use it as a supplement for feeding my porcine friend, the "Empress of Mae Ann". She likes her slop and she gives two thumbs up on rice bran, "lum". Want me to bring you a bag to judge if it's adequate for your needs?

I use it as a supplement for feeding my porcine friend, the "Empress of Mae Ann". She likes her slop and she gives two thumbs up on rice bran, "lum". Want me to bring you a bag to judge if it's adequate for your needs?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun LannaRebirth,

That's very kind of you to offer !

But we imagine that it is not very finely ground, and we cannot swallow anything really solid of any size (thanks to evidently permanent changes in my human's throat as a result of radiation).

If you care to say a few words about the texture, hardness, size, that would be most appreciated.

We visited a friend in Mae Rim the other day who now has a 70+ kilo wild boar in his menagerie; unfortunately his lady-mate died of "twisted stomach" recently. The wild boar was very impressive ! He was wary of us at first, but soon he ate some greens from my human's hands.

I think I've seen it in Kasem store - not sure though.

Also maybe the vegetarian Dhamma... restaurant place on road to airport.

Failing that Imboon near Talad Khamtieng should have it.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CMSalty,

Thanks for the tips. I am very familiar with Talad Khamtieng since I used to often go there on Thursday mornings for the amulet and Phra collectors get-together. But I have not heard of Imboon. And I defintely will check that veg restaurant out (wasn't it closed for a while since it's a Santi Ashok run place which is connected with Chamlong Srimuang and the "Yellow" folks ?).

That's very kind of you to offer !

But we imagine that it is not very finely ground, and we cannot swallow anything really solid of any size (thanks to evidently permanent changes in my human's throat as a result of radiation).

If you care to say a few words about the texture, hardness, size, that would be most appreciated.

We visited a friend in Mae Rim the other day who now has a 70+ kilo wild boar in his menagerie; unfortunately his lady-mate died of "twisted stomach" recently. The wild boar was very impressive ! He was wary of us at first, but soon he ate some greens from my human's hands.

It has a dust like texture. I would say very fine. In the rice milling process they schuck the husks first, abrade the bran off which has to be blown through the pipe as it's so fine. It often is left to fall to the floor and swept up and sold, but one can affix a bag to the output tube and catch it as it comes out. Why don't you buy some of that health store rice bran and I'll bring you some of this "lum" and then you can compare. What do you think?

And I defintely will check that veg restaurant out (wasn't it closed for a while since it's a Santi Ashok run place which is connected with Chamlong Srimuang and the "Yellow" folks ?).

The "Vegetarian Society" has fresh brown rice milk for 15 baht a small bottle. I think that you should suppliment your soy milk with it.

It is unsweetened, but they have something they call "banana sugar" (right by the rice milk counter) that is just the sugar from boiled bananas. I add it to the rice milk and it adds a nice mildly sweet taste.

The "Vegetarian Society" has fresh brown rice milk for 15 baht a small bottle. I think that you should suppliment your soy milk with it.

It is unsweetened, but they have something they call "banana sugar" (right by the rice milk counter) that is just the sugar from boiled bananas. I add it to the rice milk and it adds a nice mildly sweet taste.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

I went by the Veg. Society restaurant today : they are closed until November 11th.

thanks ! ~o:37;

It has a dust like texture. I would say very fine. In the rice milling process they schuck the husks first, abrade the bran off which has to be blown through the pipe as it's so fine. It often is left to fall to the floor and swept up and sold, but one can affix a bag to the output tube and catch it as it comes out. Why don't you buy some of that health store rice bran and I'll bring you some of this "lum" and then you can compare. What do you think?

Thanks for your kind offer ! I and I are off to Laos very soon for a week or so; when we get back will definitely sample some of what Kasem offers, and get back to you.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

I went by the Veg. Society restaurant today : they are closed until November 11th.

thanks ! ~o:37;

Sorry that I did not know that, but at least I am forwarned now.

Please google GABA brown rice milk. GABA is some kind on nutrient that is in this type of brown rice milk that is really popular right now. They sprout the grains (germinated) before making the milk and that is why it is more expensive than soy milk.

If you can find the old type that was not germinated, it is much cheaper, but everyone seems to think that GABA is really good stuff.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Please google GABA brown rice milk. GABA is some kind on nutrient that is in this type of brown rice milk that is really popular right now. They sprout the grains (germinated) before making the milk and that is why it is more expensive than soy milk.

If you can find the old type that was not germinated, it is much cheaper, but everyone seems to think that GABA is really good stuff.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

Thanks! I and I did Google as you suggested and it's very interesting to know :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice

"A nutritionally superior method of preparation using GABA rice or germinated brown rice (GBR), developed during the International Year of Rice, may be used.[3] This involves soaking washed brown rice for 20 hours in warm water (38 °C or 100 °F) prior to cooking it. This process stimulates germination, which activates various enzymes in the rice. By this method, it is possible to obtain a more complete amino acid profile, including GABA.

Unfortunately it appears that rice-milk is very low in protein content compared to soy milk or dairy :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_milk

"Compared with cow's milk, it contains more carbohydrates, but does not contain significant amounts of calcium or protein, and no cholesterol or lactose. Commercial brands of rice milk, however, are often fortified with vitamins and minerals, including calcium, vitamin B12, vitamin B3, and iron[2]."

I and I's motive here is to find an inexpensive protein supplement. Why not soy ? Two reasons : the soy protein concentrate powders are very expensive, and soy culitvation (Thailand, like many other countries in the world is an importer of soy beans) in Brazil on a huge scale is contributing to the denuding of the rain forests. You may be interested in what this recent NY Times Op-Ed says about soy :

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/31/opinion/31niman.html

Why not dairy ? No reason, really; my human is not lactose intolerant. We love to see happy cows chewing their cuds, and imagine their seven stomachs gurgling and processing away !

Why not eggs ? They're cheap, and at 12.6 grams of protein or so per 100 grams of egg, and low fat and carbs thrown in, and the complete set of amino acids, they are an obvious candidate. The yolk, of course, has most all of the fat and calories, and less than half the protein, but the yolk also has the vitamin and choline content. I and I read that eggs are now available that, by feeding the hens a special diet, produce more "Omega 3" fats; doubt these are available in Thailand (anyone know ?).

Well, odd thing there : I and I developed a kind of "instinctual" aversion to eggs after my human's taste buds effectively were wiped out; and we have to use butter or margarine to be able to swallow them, even having chopped up a boiled egg very fine.

The Quest continues !

Actually, I feel that one of the reasons you should cut down on soy milk and replace it with soy milk is that you probably don't need as much protein as you have been getting.

Soy milk and soy products in general are really getting a bad rap these days and cows milk is very suspect as well.

Soy Milk: The Benefits vs. The Dangers

Friday, October 24th, 2008 | Author: Organic Health News

milk.jpgSoy milk is processed from soy beans through the use of varying manufacturing processes. You can find soy milk with a wide range of fat and protein content, with fat amounts generally ranging from 1-3%. In spite of the tremendous amount of positive press that soy in general seems to receive these days, there is some cause for concern among consumers, particularly when it comes to the consumption of soy milk.

During the past few years, the benefits of soy milk and soy foods have become widely debated. All it takes is a search online to discover some intelligent arguments and clinical studies concerning the potential health dangers that are present in the soy products that American families regularly consume.

While we certainly do not want to label ALL soy products as harmful or dangerous, it is only fair to present you with some essential data representing both sides of this discussion.

The Benefits of Soy Milk

google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);Soy Milk is considered to be a nutritious alternative to cow’s milk for many reasons. First and foremost, soy milk is 100% Lactose-Free, meaning it is a great alternative to those whom suffer from lactose intolerance.

Soy milk may also provide you with beneficial protein, calcium and essential fatty acids, which we all need to live a healthy lifestyle. Soy milk is also low in saturated fat and sodium, but high in dietary fiber.

A recent study from the National Institute of Health & Nutrition in Japan, concludes that soy protein is effective at lowering your cholesterol, which ultimately lowers your overall risk of developing heart-related issues.

Another benefit of soy milk, is the fact that it does not contain a protein called casein, unlike cow’s milk. Casein is commonly used in many different products, ranging from medicine, foods, paints, and adhesives. It is not uncommon for people to develop an allergy to casein. Parents of autistic children need to be aware of products and foods containing casein, as it is widely believed that it can contribute to gastrointestinal disorders.

The Dangers of Soy Milk

Do the benefits of soy milk sound too good to be true? Well, recent research does indicate a few downsides to the consumption of soy foods.

soy_milk_vegan_guy.jpgUnfermented soy foods have a high amount of phytic acid, which can lead to the lower absorption of certain vitamins and minerals.

Soy contains a high level of phytoestrogen, which may affect the production of sperm in men, as well as decrease the amount of testoterone in their body. The isoflavones found in soy foods also contribute to the development of thyroid disorders, breast cancer and leukemia.

Another less thought of danger, is whether or not the soy you consume is organic. If possible, you should always avoid all genetically modified foods.

The Soy Isoflavone Controversy

google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);Soy isoflavones, also known as phytoestrogens, are routinely marketed as treatments or prevention of certain types of cancer, including prostate, breast, and edometrium.

Part of the problem with the majority of the information that Americans are receiving is that the facts have been somewhat skewed.

For example, some reports have indicated that Asian diets are heavy in soy products, and that these soy-rich diets have resulted in reduced instances of cancers. This is misleading. Asian diets are actually quite low in soy consumption, with diets incorporating healthy amounts of poultry, eggs, fish, and meats.

The amounts of soy that are being placed in foods that Americans eat are exceeding the amounts that Asians consume in an entire day or week. The danger here is that excessive consumption of soy milk, or any other soy product, can lead to the development of many different diseases. For people who have chosen to focus on eating diets that are rich in soy-based products, this presents a very real problem. Unfortunately, many people are not aware that consuming too much soy can be hazardous to their health.

Soy Research & Product Labels

If you are a person who enjoys soy products, and you have incorporated them into your regular diet, you should understand the importance of reading product labels. It is important that you do this not only for those foods that claim to contain soy, but also on all of the food products that you buy. The reason for this is that there are many foods that contain some form of soy. The only way to be sure about this, however, is to read your labels!

The best advice is to research the types of food you eat so that you can make educated decisions about whether or not they are good for you and your family. Try to stick to organic, unprocessed foods as much as possible, and always be aware of the ingredients you are consuming. Genetically Modified Foods are something that you need to steer clear of when at all possible, and unfortunately soy is a primary component in many of these types of food products.

A healthy, lactose-free alternative to soy milk, is hemp milk.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun UG,

Thanks for taking the time to post that information. I and I have been following the various debates about soy for some time now, and it doesn't quite seem clear-cut ... yet ... that there are indisputable dangers from using a lot of it. It does seem to us that there is no food or vitamin, or whatever, that does not have a variety of studies pro and con. One day you read caffeine is bad for you, the next day you read of a study where it's good for you, etc., etc.

My human has been around sixty-six years, so we are not too worried that his sperm may swim slowly, or that he's not as full of testosterone as he once was : in fact we think that's a blessing given his history of various triumphs of libido and lust over sanity and rationality :) In all modesty, we will say this : there is no other male farang over sixty-five in Chiang Mai that Orang cannot out-dance.

It would be interesting to know if the soy-milk sold by the street vendors here in Chiang Mai is from GMO beans. In fact, tonight, on our soy-milk run, I'll my usual suppliers if they know where their beans come from, and if they know whether they are GMO.

The link to hemp-milk was fascinating : wonder if that's on offer anywhere in Thailand. Do you remember the "hemp messiah" farang that was around Chiang Mai years ago preaching the "gospel of hemp" : his "visions" included a vast conspiracy by politicians and military of all major nations to suppress hemp, which, in his grandiose screed, was the answer for all human economic, social, and health problems. We hope he's all better now.

Edited by orang37

You can definitely get Omega 3 eggs in Thailand. They sell them in all the Tops and Rimping's. Quite a few choices of different care like free range etc and diet fed to the hens.

Eating the yoke raw is much better because the cholesterols and fats are not oxidized.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CobraSnakeNeckTie,

Thanks for the information ! If we had taste buds that worked, it would be interesting to know if there's any discernible difference in flavour.

I have been following the various debates about soy for some time now, and it doesn't quite seem clear-cut ... yet ... that there are indisputable dangers from using a lot of it. It does seem to us that there is no food or vitamin, or whatever, that does not have a variety of studies pro and con. One day you read caffeine is bad for you, the next day you read of a study where it's good for you, etc., etc.

Agreed, but if I had to drink my food, I would include a lot of fresh juiced carrot juice combined with a green vegetable to reduce the sugar and add more nutrients. It tastes great and provides pretty much everything other than protein and B !2. Some goats milk evey once in a while would remedy that.

Edited by Ulysses G.