My name is Craig,

I have traveled to thailand before and i'm returning this time with a thought to find a job and support myself in thailand. I am 22 years old and will be living in the sai mai district of bangkok. I have no college degree (only a highschool diploma).

i'm writing this reaching out to all other americans that read this that are living in bangkok and working. I would love a few pointers... where i should look, what i should look for... just anything for a starting point.

Any employer in Thailand who wants to hire a foreigner would have to show the Thai Department of Employment that he was unable to find a Thai National with the necessary qualifications for the job.

A good starting point for you would be to read the job advertisements in your home country and see if any company is looking to hire somebody for its subsidiary in Thailand and if you qualify for the advertised job.

--

Maestro

Wow, that was a harsh response. I think maybe people here just get tired of hearing of people who have just randomly decided to come live in Thailand and want help, because there are so many of you. It's definitely not easy to find a job here.

What kind of job are you looking for? Unless you have some really special skills, you'll probably only be able to consider teaching English. But, to be honest, with no college degree and no TEFL certificate (I'm assuming), I think it will be REALLY difficult to get a job, especially a decent job. I'm sure there's people on this forum who know of people who have gotten teaching jobs without any qualifications, but I can't point you to those companies/schools. Keep in mind that IF you find a job, you can probably expect to start out making 20,000-35,000 baht/month without a degree/certificate. It's possible to live off of that, but it wouldn't be fun in my opinion. Without a quality job, you'll probably also have to visa runs, which adds extra cost and stress.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I live in BKK, so obviously I know that it's possible, and I understand your desire to live here. But, it's not going to be simple, and you can't expect a warm, "we're go glad you're here because you speak English" kind of welcome - there are a LOT of foreigners here who want to to teach. I wish you the best of luck, though!

You'll need to give more details. What kind of income are you expecting to earn, and how long to you plan to live in Thailand? What type of housing is acceptable for you? If you are the type that can live on next to nothing, and if your financial security in the future (your old-age) is not important to you, you can probably pull it off.

Most guys in your situation would do it (move to Thailand) for two years or so and then move on to greener pastures. But everyone is different.

"I'm writing this reaching out to all other americans that read this that are living in bangkok and working. I would love a few pointers..."

Stay home, go back to school, and get a degree. Get a job, excel, invest your money wisely. In 30 years, retire where you desire.