Need Advise On Netbook

webfact

IF YOU CAN GET A ACER, IVE HAD MINE NOW 2YRS+ ITS WORK FINE HAD NO PROBS WITH IT, THEY STRAT FROM 18,000baht. if you can dont get a note book with a built in web cam, get your own web-can (USB) as when there a prob with the cam it will cost you lots to fix, just get 1 with built in mic. good luck.

Yeah and I would also advise you not to buy one with built-in monitor or keyboard, because those are quite expensive to fix as well, get external ones, lot cheaper! :)

Ok changed my mind now that i have heard what Asus are bringing out:
Eee PC 1201N

Display 12.1" LED-backlit WXGA screen (1366 x 768)

Operating System Genuine Windows 7

CPU Intel Atom 330 Dual Core processor

NVIDIA ION Graphics

Default Memory DDR2 SO-DIMM 2GB/3GB

Storage 250GB HDD/320GB + 500GB ASUS WebStorage

Wireless Data Network 802.11b/g/n @2.4GHz, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Battery Life 5hrs, 6-Cell 63Wh Li-ion Battery

Multimedia Camera 0.3M Pixels (with digital zoom function)

Audio Codec Hi-Definition Audio CODEC

Speakers Stereo Speakers

Built-in Mic High Quality Mic

Interface 1 x VGA Port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor), 1 x HDMI, 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x LAN RJ-45, 2 x Audio Jack (Head Phone / Mic-in), Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC)

Physical Dimensions 296mm (W) x 208mm (D) x 27.3~ 33.3mm (H)

Weight 1.46kg (3.22lbs)

Colors Black, Silver, Blue, Red

Out in Jan in the UK for 399 sterling

<br />Ok changed my mind now that i have heard what Asus are bringing out:<br /><br /><br /><br />
Eee PC 1201N<br />Display 12.1" LED-backlit WXGA screen (1366 x 768)<br />Operating System Genuine Windows 7<br />CPU Intel Atom 330 Dual Core processor<br />NVIDIA ION Graphics<br /><br />Default Memory DDR2 SO-DIMM 2GB/3GB<br />Storage 250GB HDD/320GB + 500GB ASUS WebStorage<br />Wireless Data Network 802.11b/g/n @2.4GHz, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR<br />Battery Life 5hrs, 6-Cell 63Wh Li-ion Battery<br />Multimedia Camera 0.3M Pixels (with digital zoom function)<br />Audio Codec Hi-Definition Audio CODEC<br />Speakers Stereo Speakers<br />Built-in Mic High Quality Mic<br />Interface 1 x VGA Port (D-sub 15-pin for external monitor), 1 x HDMI, 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x LAN RJ-45, 2 x Audio Jack (Head Phone / Mic-in), Card Reader: MMC/ SD(SDHC)<br />Physical Dimensions 296mm (W) x 208mm (D) x 27.3~ 33.3mm (H)<br />Weight 1.46kg (3.22lbs)<br />Colors Black, Silver, Blue, Red
<br /><br />Out in Jan in the UK for 399 sterling<br />
<br /><br /><br />

They've got the Asus UL20 at some shops in Chiang Mai. Nice specs overall, especially the 64-bit Core 2 Duo CULV instead of the atom, but the intel graphics is a downer. The one i saw had an HDMI out, but this one reviewed didn't.

Interesting thread as I am in the market for a netbook/small notebook in January so keep the comments/reviews coming.

When I did some research a while back it seemed the machines I was interested in had glossy screens but everyone seems to dislike them.

If so, why do they make them with 'glossy'? I assume they must be cheaper than matt?

If so, why do they make them with 'glossy'? I assume they must be cheaper than matt?

I tend to be one of the minority who actually prefers the gloss for some use. Deeper blacks and a cleaner overall image. On the other hand, if i were using it in brighter environments more the gloss would definitely get to me. I tend to work in darker environmentsi guess :) PITA to keep smudge free also.

The screen on my Asus 1000h is so matte it looks like frosted shower glass, the pixels sparkle as you move your head around. I find that worse than the reflections of a gloss screen.

To answer your question, i believe it is cheaper to produce gloss screens, though i'm sure that depends on the method & material used.

They've got the Asus UL20 at some shops in Chiang Mai. Nice specs overall, especially the 64-bit Core 2 Duo CULV instead of the atom, but the intel graphics is a downer. The one i saw had an HDMI out, but this one reviewed didn't.

Yeah that would be nice but forget the intel graphics. This new Ion graphics chip means the new Asus 1201n and Lenovo s12 can play 1080p movies and play games like Call of Duty 4.

Of the two I'm going for the Asus, dual core atoms should be fine as a lot of the legwork will be done the GPU

Yeah that would be nice but forget the intel graphics. This new Ion graphics chip means the new Asus 1201n and Lenovo s12 can play 1080p movies and play games like Call of Duty 4.

Of the two I'm going for the Asus, dual core atoms should be fine as a lot of the legwork will be done the GPU

Also the nvidia supports video acceleration (h.264) under XP whereas the Intel only supports it on Vista/7. The GMA 4500 can handle 1080p fine, but gaming would be a slideshow.

My main use for a computer is to use the internet. For this purpose I will normally have 5 or so web sites open at the same time with the windows for each minimised to the bottom tray and I just switch between sites. This can be on a continuous basis and refreshing the pages as I go.

I also type up word/excel documents but not to any great extent.

The other main purpose I could envisage is to download TV programmes from back home i.e. torrents (although not done this on my present laptop to date).

Can these netbooks handle this type of useage efficently?

My main use for a computer is to use the internet. For this purpose I will normally have 5 or so web sites open at the same time with the windows for each minimised to the bottom tray and I just switch between sites. This can be on a continuous basis and refreshing the pages as I go.

I also type up word/excel documents but not to any great extent.

The other main purpose I could envisage is to download TV programmes from back home i.e. torrents (although not done this on my present laptop to date).

Can these netbooks handle this type of useage efficently?

Yes netbooks can handle that fine. Of course depending on what are on the websites you have open, if it's heavy flash applications such as web-tv then the CPU will have to work hard to cope, but regular websites no problem.

Word/Excel no problem.

Torrents no problem.

I do all of the above on my Samsung netbook.

I just got a HP Mini 5101 netbook. Specs are the same as any other netbook (N280 processor, 2 gigs RAM) except:

* Hires 10" display (1366 x 768 pixels).

* Gigabit ethernet

* a/b/g/draft n WIFI / bluetooth

* 7,200 rpm hard drive (160 gig)

* Fantastic 95% full size keyboard (can type full speed)

* 2 megapixel integrated webcam

* Black metal case, very solid chassis.

* Came with a free extra 6 cell battery.

* 1.2 kg.

It's gorgeous. I love the metal case. It came with Windows XP so I added Ubuntu as a dual boot option.

hp-mini-5101-pr-1sb.jpg

Edited by Crushdepth

I got it in Singapore (they are hard to find as they sell out as soon as they arrive). They are theoretically on sale in Thailand but I just couldn't find one and HP were giving me the run around. Price was about 20,500 baht equivalent. It came with XP home SP 3, an additional battery (6-cell extended) and an ok bluetooth optical mouse.

They did have an option for XP professional and 320 gig hard drive but it cost quite a lot more and I plan to blow away XP anyway, so I didn't want to pay! No HDMI (I haven't seen it on a netbook yet). Sound volume is good and quite clear (for a netbook).