Khaosan Road - Still A Good Place To Start Exploring Thailand?

wamberal

A young couple I know are heading to Thailand for their first stay there, probably for three weeks. They are Irish. I said to them that I thought the best thing would be for them to stay in Khaosan Road for a few days, look around and meet up with other travellers of a similar age and background, and plan their stay based on the advice and experience of those who have explored the place themselves.

Is this still good advice? Any recommendations on reasonably good hotels in the area? Other tips greatly appreciated.

A young couple I know are heading to Thailand for their first stay there, probably for three weeks. They are Irish. I said to them that I thought the best thing would be for them to stay in Khaosan Road for a few days, look around and meet up with other travellers of a similar age and background, and plan their stay based on the advice and experience of those who have explored the place themselves.

Is this still good advice? Any recommendations on reasonably good hotels in the area? Other tips greatly appreciated.

hello buth for me i dont like to much khao san road to manny drunk people there some fight buth if you want go 2 days its enough you will see by your self dont forget Bangkok rank number 50 for the most expensive city in the world Have a good trip

Khaosan Road is not Thailand and can get people in trouble stay away. :)

Okay, so where should newbies start their visit to LOS? I assumed that the best thing would be for them to meet up with other young people of their own age, and swap notes and get advice and ideas.

If not Khaosan Road, where should they base themselves at first, so as to get some local ideas and intelligence?

They should start their trip at Khao San Road if they are looking at a backpacking adventure type holiday. No doubt about it. Cheap rooms. Easy to book onward travel. Lots of other young tourists. Bars and resturants. Bookshops. market stalls. Close to important temples and the river.

Yes, it's not Thailand, and it's commercial and a bit tacky, but it is the most fun place to start off for a young couple.

Why would they need advice from people who just spent a few days in Thailand and got their advice from other "Thailand gurus" before, and so on... All basic advice concerning scam, security, etc, can easily be found in travel guides, websites and forums. That's all they need. They go discover Thailand, they should be interested in meeting Thai people, not other travellers who will bore them to death with advice and you should go there and you shouldn't do that... Most of them just do the same old "backpackers" track and spend half their time drinking beer and the other half sitting in cybercafes! :)

So I think your friends should just focus on what they would like to do and what they would like to see. Are they beach goers? Nature lovers? Interested in shopping, markets, temples, nightlife? They can base themselves anywhere, for Bangkok KSR is not a bad location because of the proximity of the old city (Grand Palace, Chinatown etc.) but Sukhumvit or Silom are tourist friendly too (shopping centers, night markets etc) and have the BTS (skytrain) which is convenient too.

They should start their trip at Khao San Road if they are looking at a backpacking adventure type holiday. No doubt about it. Cheap rooms. Easy to book onward travel. Lots of other young tourists. Bars and resturants. Bookshops. market stalls. Close to important temples and the river.

Yes, it's not Thailand, and it's commercial and a bit tacky, but it is the most fun place to start off for a young couple.

Fully agree. KSR changed but still a good, mild introduction to Thailand for a young couple.

Most of them just do the same old "backpackers" track and spend half their time drinking beer and the other half sitting in cybercafes! :)

If your friends have only 3 weeks I would advise them to get out of Bangkok as soon as possible to make the most of their trip.

Fly to Krabi and take a bus to Ao Nang and explore the beaches from there.

Reminded me of my one and only trip to Phi Phi...overpriced and overcrowded island. Hordes of tourists crowded into bars watching videos of the beach day and night. Not much else to do there I guess. :D

Give it a miss these days and stick to Koh Jum much better value.

Depends what they like to do.

One tip is to avoid travelling by tourist bus. Flying is quite cheap, fast and comfortable.

Ko Phangnan is still a popular choice for young beach goers, but the Andamen coast is also nice. Krabi, Khao Lak, Koh Lanta.

They may want to fly over to Cambodia and explore Angkor Wat. Siem Rip is a cool colonial town and the temples are awesome. Nothing in Thailand compares.

There are a number of national parks. Khao Yai being the most popular and a three hour drive from Bangkok. They can explore the jungle on foot, come face to face with wildlife, elephant rides etc.

Most tourists visit Chang Mai for a few days and do the trekking thing, also.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Good advice all around. Except personally i would not go to KRS unless your into the "scene". So it is good place to be part of the "off the beaten track" backbagger scene but nothing else. Ive been there twice and last time was several years ago. It is the tourist ghetto of BKK.

From downtown bangkok you have much better access to bus stations, airport etc so you can actually move around without the hassle of KSR charter rip off buses. Cheap accommodation is all around Sukhumvit and skytrain and subway will get you everywhere fast and cheap.

I would spend a long weekend in bkk to see the temple and palace and then off to north for few days before finishing it off at the beach down south. Stop by in BKK for couple of days on my way back to do some shopping if there is need for that.

Last but not least, use your lonely planet only on information on transport. Forget anything they say on accommodation, restaurants, bars and beaches...

Thanks for the tips, people, and please keep them coming.

Very centrally located - get a map and explore the old quarters (Banglamphu, Samsen) "behind" Kao San Rd. at the river banks (great View of theRama VIII. Bridge), walking distance is the NATIONAL MUSEUM, Royal Barge Museum, Sanam Luang (large publice area/Plaza), Phra Arthit River Ferry Pier, Cruis e the Chao Phraya River with the "Ruea Duean", all the way up to Nonthaburi and return for cents! !

Edited by Samuian

If they have an itinerary in mind, I'd say better to get out of Bangkok quickly and head to the beaches/islands/mountains, where they will surely meet other tourists their age, whether they want to or not. :) Better to sleep off the jet lag in a nice quiet environment in the countryside. :D

Bangkok is better at the end of the holiday. Hit the town, see the sites, do some shopping, enjoy the change of being in the city. Kaosarn might be worth a peek at that point. See the people getting henna tattoos and fake dreadlocks while eating falafaels, etc. Buy some nicknacks if they didn't buy enough already.

Okay, so where should newbies start their visit to LOS? I assumed that the best thing would be for them to meet up with other young people of their own age, and swap notes and get advice and ideas.

If not Khaosan Road, where should they base themselves at first, so as to get some local ideas and intelligence?

Did somebody say something about drunks and fight ? Rubbish, I was on Khosan rd a month ago. There is many young frendly people for all over the world. I go there every time and I have never seen a fight. Lots of good cheap hotels. I went to the D&D last time, it has a free breakfast buffet and a nice pool on the roof.

Khaosan Road is not Thailand and can get people in trouble stay away. :)

what the hel_l are you people talking about ????!!!!

I have traveled all over the world and I would say that I have never seen more people from all over the world in one place getting along and having such a good time then Khaosan road.

Edited by sokal

They go discover Thailand, they should be interested in meeting Thai people, not other travellers who will bore them to death with advice and you should go there and you shouldn't do that...

It seems so hard to think another way: who ever said they were after that? Most young bekpek-style travellers are just after that: meet one another, talk about those same things in a language they know, get drunk (=not that different from the average Sukhvit stayer). Its just to scary to meet Thai. Bore to death?=nonsense-the most exiting stories are swapped: eat bugs! ride a tuktuk! just leave the kaow phat till tomorrow-todays its pizza, or some grub from the suermarket.

People might even realise that different advice may apply to different groups. Thats even the base of sound commercial marketing.

KSR is a hole IMHO. It's full of backpackers who pertain to be out to discover a country and end up in a place full of westerners, drinking in bars or in internet cafes and eating pizza or KFC! Having dreads put in, buying a fake ID and a Little Miss Sunshine t-shirt is not taking in a country.

I go there quite often buying from the wholesale jewelers and do see typical loutish Western behaviour that most of us left the West because of. The attitude of the Thais working there is a sure sign that they have to put up with drunken arrogant prats most days.

BKK being huge and without a distinct centre makes it difficult to find some real good stuff without local knowledge and even then is it worth going if this is their big holiday.

I would go to one of the parks, can't remember it's name, but the one in Thong Lor if there is a show on. Or even Lumphini, we watched a brilliant kids dance competition last week.

Go where the Thais go, like Siam square, blow a bit of cash at RCA in a trendy bar and watch the trendy locals. Don't go to a cr@ppy bar on KSR.

My wife and I regularly visit BKK and have shifted from staying in the Silom area to KSR. We actually prefer it as a base. I have never seen a fight there yet. We tend to focus on Soi Rambutri rather than KSR itself. Good guesthouses are Diamond House (cute and 200m north of Gullivers Tavern) and Lamphu House on Soi Rambutri itself.

We buy a bit of stuff from the silver wholesalers in the area.

Things to do: the area is good for the river - go south to Taksin - - do Wat Arun, China town and the oriental (if you fancy a posh and expensive afternnon tea). Get the sky train from Silom area to Lumphini, then on to Siam shopping Centre MBK and Central World.

Walk along Khlong lamphu as much as possible (look for giant Monitor Lizards on the bank - our son saw a monster boaconstrictor snake in the water once)and take a look at Wat Sakhet . Then get the Khlong ferry to Phayathai Rd for Jim Thompson's House.

The whole area to the north of Khlong Banghlampho is fascinating to explore.

"Ad here 13" on the left over the khlong going north and opposite Diamond House is a great Blues Bar - say hello to Georgia - she pumps out the vocals from about ten at night.

From KRS, Ko Kret is worth a visit on the ferry as is the Royal Barge Museum - also the Sirriraj Hospital forensic museum. A trip along Khlong BKK Noi is worth while. Watch out for boat scammers though. Same with the Royal palace.

For something different get the skytrain to Thonburi and catch the local train at Wong Wian Yai - go to the end of the line the get a ferry over the river and catch another train to the end of the line. Or go on abike tour of Bang ka Jao area.

I like to go to the cinema in Siam Centre and also go bowling there -a fraction of the cost of AUS. RCA centre has "the biggest indoor go-kart track in the world".

Chatuchack market is a mad but interesting place - we go on Fridays - it is not then packed but some paces are closed.

Vimanmek Palace is well worth a visit - from there walk along the moat of the Chitralada Palace and see how many different species of fish and birds you can spot. Also a good spot for Giant Iguanas (Monitor?).

I like getting a shave from a traditional barber opposite the Phra Sumen Fort - the park there is great in the evenings for watching jugglers. The hotel next to the Tha Phra Arthit (N13) ferry stop - accessed directly from the ferry stop itself is a great place for a cool drink or coffee while you wait for a ferry or to sit out in the breeze in the evening.

Phra Athit itself has several good bars and cafes.

I like to go fishing a lot in BKK - see fishing forum.

After all this I guess that actually we don't spend a lot of time actually in KSR itself but rather on the fringes.

I would agree with other posts, that if possible, get out of BKK - I like to have no more than a week at a time there. Chiang Mai is tops for me - golf, fishing rafting off-road buggy, elephants and trecking: but I like Krabi area very much - did have a great time at Khao Sok National Park (Art's River view lodge) At Krabi you have to check out Gillham's Resort. Fantastic!

This year in Chiang Mai we go up the mountain at Chiang Dao and join in the New Year celebrations having baught our own fireworks to set off. Then it is me in an ultralite filming some friends in a hot air baloon.

I would strongly suggest that any visitor invest in the "Nancy Chandler Maps" they are available online:

http://www.nancychandler.net/

Hope they have a good time.

3 weeks Thailand for young first timers: 3 days Bangkok (KSR), 2 days Ayuttayha, 7 days Chiang Mai/Mae Hong Song, 9 days Krabi or Koh Phangan

or 3 days Bangkok (KSR), 2 days Ayuttayha, 4 days Kanchanaburi, 12 days Krabi or Koh Phangan.

Best advice so far, OP. My choice would be 3 days Bangkok (KSR), 2 days Ayuttayha, 7 days Mae Hong Song, 9 days Koh Phangan.

KSR is tacky, but so what? I went back to KSR for the 1st time in some years in September for my bachelor party. We were 8 guys and had a blast. We did not stay long, though. After 3 towers of Singha we had a tuk-tuk race to NEP. Oh dear... :)

Now THAT is a dump!

Why are people putting down KSR for being a place where foreigners get ripped off, fights and all that <deleted>? Is NEP any better? I'd say its worse. Chai mai?

Mousehound great post and advice.

Koh Kret is a great day out on the weekend and very few tourists (make sure you rent a lont tail for yourselves) catch the main ferry back for a couple of BHT.

Personnaly it all depends on what they are looking for beach, cultural etc.... I would start with a week in the North followed by a week in Krabi (see the other surrounding islands) then do Bangkok, Kanchanburi, surrounding areas.

They should also experience their own adventures, sure they will hear the places not to visit (to visit) but Thailand at a young age is one big adventure.