Samui Tourism Hurt By Bombings?

What is the general feeling in Samui these days about the new bombings in the south?

How do you think this will affect the tourism on Samui?

more ppl will come to samui, stupidly beleiving that nothing will happen there.

biz will grow, land prices will rise, lots of m***f*** will make pretty good money they never expected selling tickets around island.

btw, german travel agency now books only samui, no more phuket and andaman.

good luck!

In Samui the high season is over.

Hopefully there is no more bad news about Thailand before the next high season starting around december.

For mid season now until August i suspect there will be less tourists than before. But that is already going on for the last few years.

High season gets busier and busier, low season gets quieter and quieter.

Valentino,

You left a few days ago, together with most of the others. High season is definately over. Torisme concentrates on Chaweng, in that small place it is very busy. The rest of the island is quiet.

Skipdevils,

Busier than ever is a little bit of an overstatement. IF there was more accomodation available then it would be much more busy. Problem is when everything is 100% full it is still not busy enough for the many restaurants and not to forget the pubs, disco's and the infamous girly bars, they are most of the time empty or have only a few customers, a signal that times are changing and a different kind of tourist is choosing this destination, which i think is a very very welcome change. When you walk around a few hundred meters on Chaweng beach road, everything is very very full. All the other hundreds of shps restaurants are not. Samui is not really ready for this growth in tourisme. There are many developments going on but not too much big resorts or hotels. If they want more tourists here they have to start building tourist accomodation, and not only the fancy homes for fancy prices. It will take away the tropical paradise feeling.

have been to Samui on more than 20 occasions the past 5 yrs or so. Cannot comment a lot about Chaweng accomodation but I reckon Chaweng DO have good capacity of high quality rooms. Lamai, instead is more and more heading towards "little Pattaya" image and therefore annoying (at least, for me). Used to reside in Maenam but have to admit Maenam is too quiet sometimes (even in high season). Nevertheless, even Maenam accomoation rates "surprisingly" increased after 26/12. Service sucks. Ppl (thai and farang) become more and more unfriendly. All in all I decided not to return but rather switch to KoChang (* surrounding islands) instead. KhunJean IF u talk about paradise: Samui -imho- no longer is paradise, unfortunately. Just a very few spots left (LeMeridien area and some other spots south of Lamai)...but I am sure thai & foreign investors soon gonna destroy those locations as well. No wonder if that mentioned german travel agent is soley promoting Samui: welcome Mallorca #2.

Joinme2leave,

You are very right. What is left of this paradise island is the south. Until now unspoilt, but slowly you can see signs that it will not take long before this also changes into a concrete jungle.

Chaweng i call a spanish costa, terrible, but sometimes good if you want a western meal. Lamai is the girly place, As i live south of Lamai i can see it will change soon, or the barowners like to make a loss every year. (Thinking about it again, they probably don't care, it is just a way to stay and get drunk.)

Still find Lamai better than Chaweng, just stay a little north or south of the center. Maenam, Bophut is good when you retire, too quiet for me.

I am seriously looking at the coastal area of Surat and Chumphon to find a nice place. Ko Chang is already changing rapidly too. At least that was my impression when i went there last year. I think the best isand are in the south, unfortunately there is much trouble there and i try to avoid muslim areas as they not feel comfortable to me.