Ms Systems-samui

Rooo

personnaly not, but heard about it, thai girl running a bar girl has been fined 25000 thb.

true or not regarding the fact or the price remains unknown.

i'm still wondering on what legal fact they check the computers, in europe they would need a judge search warrant, and two cops to perform the check.

maybe many people when asked " can we check the computer we're the software police" do reply yes and then it's an invitation.

Working in the computer industry here in Thailand, we have received many warning emails from our distributors.

They started the operation on Oct 26th, and already now there are scammers trying to take advance of peoples fear for fines.

The "real" MS squad comes with a search warrant written on computer and with your company name in the text. The scammers bring hand-written "warrants" and try to threaten you to show them your computers.

The "real" MS squad only sends in one guy (a technician) to your office, and he checks your computers for Windows and Office fakes, if they find anything they will not ask for money from you there and now, they will come back with a (don't remember the English word) document that summons you to court and then the court will handle the rest. The scammers will ask you to give them cash or hand over your computers to them.

We hear numbers of around 60,000 baht pr fake version of either Windows or Office.

At our office, we know they will come sooner or later, so we all have genuine Windows and run Thunderbird + OpenOffice instead of Office.

Working in the computer industry here in Thailand, we have received many warning emails from our distributors.

They started the operation on Oct 26th, and already now there are scammers trying to take advance of peoples fear for fines.

The "real" MS squad comes with a search warrant written on computer and with your company name in the text. The scammers bring hand-written "warrants" and try to threaten you to show them your computers.

The "real" MS squad only sends in one guy (a technician) to your office, and he checks your computers for Windows and Office fakes, if they find anything they will not ask for money from you there and now, they will come back with a (don't remember the English word) document that summons you to court and then the court will handle the rest. The scammers will ask you to give them cash or hand over your computers to them.

We hear numbers of around 60,000 baht pr fake version of either Windows or Office.

At our office, we know they will come sooner or later, so we all have genuine Windows and run Thunderbird + OpenOffice instead of Office.

I am not sure , but only an officer of the court can execute a warrant, I don't believe that MS people are officers of the court.

Never let anyone in to "look around" that is the same as giving them permission to look at anything, advise your staff that no one is allowed in who does not belong to your organization.

MS also has a lot of licensing schemes you can get multi seat licenses, you can lease the software yearly and many more look at http://www.microsoft.com/midsizebusiness/h...-licensing.mspx There is a lot of information on licenses there.

Does anyone have a credible, case of some one being caught for this MS software thing!

The worst for pirated software is "AutoDesk" and "Adoby" they will prosecute no matter how long it takes.

But again, they are not after the private user.

I bought a new laptop for 30k here is samui, and couldn't believe it when it turned out it didn't have a real copy, for that kinda $ you expect it to come with the original!

Every major brand (HP, Acer, Asus) has a contract with MS and it has to put a oem copy of windows on every notebook, disk and manuals are extra, usually there is a hidden partition for a recovery.

Only white box no name can sell a notebook without windows, but i will not buy it. The primary brands are crappy enough.....

For 30k in Italy you could buy 2 asus netbook or one with big screen....and we have 20% VAT, Thailand seems not good for computers....

Where did you get your information? Steve over at Apple by any chance.

Microsoft and the manufacturers would be breaking EU and Thai laws under the scheme you suggest. I am correct in thinking that ALL means 100% and not just part of the product range.

The laws are in place for consumers how already own or wish to use a different operating system. Please check before engaging the keyboard.

I bought a new laptop for 30k here is samui, and couldn't believe it when it turned out it didn't have a real copy, for that kinda $ you expect it to come with the original!

Every major brand (HP, Acer, Asus) has a contract with MS and it has to put a oem copy of windows on every notebook, disk and manuals are extra, usually there is a hidden partition for a recovery.

Only white box no name can sell a notebook without windows, but i will not buy it. The primary brands are crappy enough.....

For 30k in Italy you could buy 2 asus netbook or one with big screen....and we have 20% VAT, Thailand seems not good for computers....

Where did you get your information? Steve over at Apple by any chance.

Microsoft and the manufacturers would be breaking EU and Thai laws under the scheme you suggest. I am correct in thinking that ALL means 100% and not just part of the product range.

The laws are in place for consumers how already own or wish to use a different operating system. Please check before engaging the keyboard.

Agree, this information is either incorrect, or the Thai market is disregarding the contracts. I've purchased two laptops in Thailand within the last 3 years, once from Tesco a Compaq (HP brand) and once from a major 'high street' electronics retailer an Acer. Neither of these came with OEM MS, no OEM stickers on the machines. Tesco's informed me I must get MS installed elsewhere, they didn't offer the service and didn't sell the OS either. The other retailer installed a shifty copy with loads of superfluous crap, that I took back the next day and made him remove.

Been in Ubuntu world for the last 2 days. I have to admit I have 2 expensive software needs for which I used hooky installs, I've spent the last two days reinstalling my systems to Ubuntu, and whilst my first impression at a bland default install was 'this is shit', after spending many hours configuring it to my visual and practical requirements, I have to say I'm pretty blown away.

It's not as polished as Windows 7 (which I found fantastic, but had to go as I'd upgraded RC to RTM and could neither downgrade nor reinstall and activate RC - activation period has expired), and it's certainly less polished than OSX. But really, if you have technical know how (to get it looking good and customised to your specific needs, you need to be at least experienced with the terminal and know how to source and work with advanced tutorials) it isn't that far off. In many ways because you can configure so much more than within a proprietary OS, it's the better choice.

The (absolutely critical) fact that I can run windows with no problems under virtualbox for those 2 programs that I cannot replace with open source alternatives, and that I can seamlessly copy / paste between Linux and Windows, makes me feel that this is in fact by far the most suitable OS for my needs. Anyone unknown knocks on my door it's 'sudo apt-get remove -purge virtualbox' and my machine is 100% clean.

Oh and the workspaces function.... my god that is fantastic!!

<- converted cheers crackdown guys.

In Italy every retail notebook has the oem sticker on the bottom and i have to pay for Windows even if i have another license.

To stay on EU rule there is a procedure for sending back the OS but i think nobody got at the final stage alive....

On the other end how Tesco can send back at home a person with a notebook without an OS? To use it as a mirror counting on the shitty mirror TFT everybody use on them????