What Do You Think The Gay Clubs Of Bkk Would Do To Me...

bangsecks

If I sneak in booze in a little flask or bladder and add it to my drink in the toilet stall? Here's the thing, I'm going to BKK soon, but I'm broke, and I love to go out. I have enough money for a few drinks a night, and that's fine, but here and there I will want to get shit faced, so I want to buy it cheap at the store and then sneak it in. I know it's wrong, maybe illegal, desperate, lame, but I just don't have the funds for a big piss up this time. If they found me out what would they do I wonder? And anyone have any creative suggestions for sneaking in booze? If I could get like one of those little plastic pouches with a screw top cap at the top, that would be ideal. I mean I guess I could just down it BEFORE I go in, but you always want something to sip on during and I don't want to get too drunk at first. Maybe just a bottle in the bag check and sneak out from time to time to booze it up in a alley? Any advice helps.

To answer your opening question, nothing, really, but anyone who notices it will probably not want to have anything to do with you. Also, if the waiters can establish you're not ordering anything they will probably ask you to leave.

To give you the advice you seek, sell the ticket (or postpone it), get a job, and have the money to make going on a trip worth it.

Why not buy a small bottle of hooch at a 7-11 and suck it down before you go in? To the snobolas and Pattaya bashers (yeah this is the only town in the country with low life, sure thing mate), get a life! In general nobody is going to ask you leave if there is no stated minimum as long as you buy one drink and nurse it, at some places you won't have to buy nada. I don't think it would be cool to be caught with your own stuff in there though and have no idea what they would do if you were caught, good question.

Some of us don't buy into the consumerist culture which dictates our only value in this world is how much money we are willing and/or able to piss down the drain, so there ...

Edited by Jingthing

Ijustwannateach, I'm guessing you're in Thailand for quite a while now; have you been back to your country in a while? If that country is the US it may be news to you that there are really no jobs. Maybe it just seems like background noise that the economy is bad and you don't really think much about it, but here on the ground I am literally being told by McDonalds, Walmart, etc., any low level job you can image that used to not be able to keep people with high turn over rates, that they're full. Everywhere, not an exaggeration, there are literally no jobs out there right now.

So why go to Thailand when things are so bad? Well I have the ticket already, I have A BIT of money, I will be getting student loans when I come back so I'm alright there, and have nothing else to do. Here's what I figure, I can stay here in the cold of December looking for nonexistent work and throw my ticket away, non-refundable and unchangeable, or spend the same amount I would living here in the one place in the world that I really want to be, and hitting up the clubs. No cute Asians here by the way, that's the biggest reason. So, stay and look for work to no avail, as I've been doing? Or go and have a little bit of fun in my miserable life, when I already have the ticket.

Believe me I am looking for work for drink money, and still hoping that I will get something in the next month, but I am not too hopeful. But I do want to drink every once in a while, so the idea to just sneak it in. I don't worry about waiters because I go to Silom mostly, so those aren't Thai style places with tables and waiters. I could get away with not buying anything, but you're right in other places I would have a harder time. Maybe I should just get the buzz on before and then nurse my one or two drinks inside.

It's not so much that I'm that young, but that I have no other options and going to school is actually a source of income in this economy, that and the fact that they'll give student loans to anyone regardless of their age as they're guaranteed by the federal government so it's a sweet deal for the loan companies because if the debtor defaults then the tax payer picks up the tab.

Anyways, here's hoping that in fact I will have people wanting to buy me drinks though I'd be weary of that because just what does that obligate me to? You know, come to think of it, I've only had someone, other than a friend, buy me a drink once in approximately six months of going out every night to Silom. Maybe I'm not as good looking as I'd like to believe. I just hope to get a job here so I don't have to worry about it.

A little tip: The Long Island Iced Teas at DJ Station are good value for money if you intend to get drunk - especially if you are friendly with the bartender, they can be very strong!

Don't try to smuggle alcohol in... it's unlikely you will be thrown out but you will be gossiped about mercilessly if caught.

There are lots of ways you can save money on your holiday. If you're staying in Bangkok for more than a couple of weeks, you can stay at a cheap serviced apartment for around 6000-8000 baht a month. There are quite a few in the Silom/Sathorn area - PM me if you want some links or contact details.

Thanks for the info. I will be there a month, and I usually stay at serviced apartments, one in particular, but am unfortunately in such a tight spot that I'm not going to stay in my place, for as cheap and nice as it is so I don't have to put down the deposit and use that money for drinking instead. The place I stay is really nice, free laundry and hot water and clean and they clean your room too if you want and fridge and what not, 6000 a month, but I'll be staying in Banglamphu at some dump just so I can drink that 6000 deposit. Sad I know.

As for DJ, this is the advice I need, this is why I posted this question. I usually drink beer, but I have decided to get into the hard stuff just for the savings, and so you're saying the Long Island iced tea? Very interesting. How about this one though: which bar/bar tender? They vary. I found that the strongest mixed drinks are at the third floor bar, the cute kind of tall guy, know the one? It's usually him alone up there? I used to drink Bacardi and soda water and I found he made it best. Maybe I'll give your iced teas a try one night and see how that does me. Thanks.

As tight as your budget is, do not leave home without travel medical insurance.If you think you are in a tight spot now, just wait until you get injured or sick. Not to be condescending, but it's people like you that need the health insurance most.

Edited by geriatrickid

OP, if your money is that tight, what are you doing taking a holiday for that long? It sounds as if when you go back you will counting on student loans to have any income at all. What if something goes wrong?

I think you might solve several problems by staying on a shorter basis and having more spending money and more money left over, too. You really don't want to run out of money in Thailand.

Insurance? Nah, never had any. They wouldn't pay out if I had it and needed it anyways.

Yeah, I mean a shorter trip would be the wise thing, but the ticket is set. I could just live it up for two weeks and then sit in my room for the other two weeks if need be, just thought it would be great if I could sneak booze in so I could go out on a budget the whole time. And if my student loans don't pan out then getting stuck in Thailand or not having enough for drinking would be the least of my problems. After all, I rather be out on my ass in a warm climate than here in the winter.

It was either this trip or give up, I've pretty much given up here and so this is a distraction for me. It used to be that young man in his prime willing to work could always count on being able to do something; not so any more and all indications are that this will be a lingering slump. So, I go to school, not because I have any particular goal I'm chasing but because it's my only way to eat. And that's all I do, scrape by, but I've also been socking away a little bit wherever I can so I can have this one thing at the end of the year. We all need a goal right? A month in Thailand is the goal, that's the only thing I have and it's the only thing I'm likely to have in a while, so I have to try to maximize it.

Do as Thais do and buy the bottle.

If you buy a bottle in DJ, you get a card and can go in with up to three other people until you exhaust your bottle.

The other bars in soi 2 are more relaxed, and if you have a bottle at any of them you can get into DJ.

You plop down more money up front, but it is way cheaper (and classier) in the long run.

A much nicer way to spend evenings out than drinking in front of the 7-11.

Good luck.

re. insurance:

It's not just for you.

You may not be aware, but Thai hospitals will NOT accept you without it. It's not the same as in the US where they're required to stabilise & treat you in emergencies regardless.

Even if they give you the benefit of the doubt while you are unconscious, they will not release you with out the money- and so your family will be required to pay. What if you are in a major accident and are uninsured? Do you think your family will refuse? Do you want them to be hit with a bill for potentially millions of baht (including repatriation costs)?

I know the chances are low, but these things do happen. Hope you will think about your responsibilities.

Do as Thais do and buy the bottle.

If you buy a bottle in DJ, you get a card and can go in with up to three other people until you exhaust your bottle.

The other bars in soi 2 are more relaxed, and if you have a bottle at any of them you can get into DJ.

You plop down more money up front, but it is way cheaper (and classier) in the long run.

A much nicer way to spend evenings out than drinking in front of the 7-11.

Good luck.

As long as it's not Johnny Walker RED!!!! :D:D:)

Re: re: insurance. I don't have any family, I mean there are people that I am related to out there, but we've no connection and we don't communicate and a Thai hospital sure couldn't get hold of them. You take your chances with anything you do. I've spent over half of my adulthood 'backpacking' and budget traveling in a number of different places and never had insurance, my attitude is that it's just like living in your own country, you can get hit by a bus in right outside your home or half way around the world. Again, the least of my worries, and quite frankly I welcome the breezes of fate as nothing is as bad as being stuck in the mire of idleness as I am now. How frustrating it is to be wanting to advance one's self, work hard, save money, which is what I've always done, never had any debt, but then be forced into living on loans and spending your time getting rejected by employers; I would be lucky to die in Thailand. Blah blah blah poor me, the point I wanted to make here though is that US insurance companies are scandalous and you rarely get your payout even when you deserve it because they aren't properly regulated. Although this new health care bill just passed the House, so we'll see if it doesn't get gutted in the Senate and just what it will come out actually doing.

As for the bottle idea Kunjet, I like this idea as well. As far as you know what might I expect to pay for a bottle, say the cheapest thing they have? 1 or 2 thousand? And is it always safe? Is there any likelihood that one day I get there and they say, oh no we don't see any bottle for you? And do I have to pay for the mixers? And how much would that be? If the mixers are free and the bottle isn't that much this could be the ticket.

Well, I'll say this for you, bangsecks: you aren't exposing others to the risks you run. But are you really being fair to yourself? Looking at the life pattern you say you have lived, can you be surprised that getting work seems more difficult for you? I hope you have a good time when you come here, but really hope you take a long look at what you're doing (in general) and how it will affect your future.

Well, I'll say this for you, bangsecks: you aren't exposing others to the risks you run. But are you really being fair to yourself? Looking at the life pattern you say you have lived, can you be surprised that getting work seems more difficult for you? I hope you have a good time when you come here, but really hope you take a long look at what you're doing (in general) and how it will affect your future.

You're saying that excessive travel makes for a spotty resume and people don't want to hire that kind of person? Yeah, I think that's correct, but I've usually been able to get something, always in fact, and people with solid work histories are having a hard time now. As for what I am doing now, I'm going to school, even though I don't much care about it I get good grades and will be aiming for an education that will get me quick employment that pays well, nursing or something like that, still quite early in my education though. I guess I'm actually making considerations for my future more than I ever had, just taking this trip because I'm miserable in what I'm doing now.

Please rethink your views on the travel insurance. start with a search on the TV threads about the kids that have had injuries in Thailand. You may be lucky to die in an incident, but more likely than not you will incur a debilitating injury that can leave you crippled for life if there isn't immediate intervention.

The more I read your answers, the more I see someone with a bigger issue than money. I don't buy the limited economic argument. I was in Uni and hit the job market after the 90's the last time the bubble popped. Almost a decade of schooling and working in some difficult times and there were guys that had it much worse than me. No one that eventually succeeded followed your strategy.

Running off to Thailand won't change anything as the conditions that make you miserable will still exist. I suggest you watch the Wizard of Oz again. Dorothy thought that running away from home would fix things, but she soon realized it didn't.

Thailand is no place to be if you are young and do not have money. Hostels are fun the 1st night until you get robbed by another desperate traveler. Cheap bars are fun until you get into an altercation with someone that hangs around in the place. The Thais that work in those venues are tough as nails and will eat you up and spit you out. Get into trouble with the BiB and you go to remand. No niceties, no hello hansum farang. Desperate people do desperate things in Thailand and there are enough sad stories of nice kids that thought they were smart and tough enough to survive the intricacies of the urban jungle. Think your plans through. Better yet, get used to squat toilets and wiping with your left hand.

BTW, no decent Thai person will want to hang around with someone trying to sneak booze into a bar. Sure, I did it too in after hour clubs back in the day. Thing was, I was a 17 year old in university and I was getting around the drinking laws and my friends were the same. Decent clubs and patrons just won't put off with such antics. Thais are very status conscious. Wear dirty or unfashionable clothes and you will be treated accordingly. Smell bad or have dirty hair and you get treated accordingly too. Young Thais are very image conscious. Read up some more on Thailand.

Disturbing...you should take the opportunity given by this trip for stopping drinking

it sounds that it is the only thing you want to do: so (apart the fact you cannot have a refund on your ticket) it would be cheaper to stay where you live, for a period of time, after having bought enough drinks and remain in your room...drunk

I am sure it must be difficult to quit (although I wouldn't know as I have been lucky enough to go without a simple drink)

You kind of remind me of a guy who used to live and work here (maybe still is) going out every night. Quite a nice guy at the beginning of the evening

Disgustingly drunk a couple of hours later (well he certainly had the means and drinks were / are not that expensive) and invariably going home in a cab when the night was over with or without company

Go to Thailand (take an unexpensive insurance: paid by the drinks you won't have)

Enjoy clubs (with the drink/s going with the entrance fee)

Go around

Meet people

Have real memories

Thanks Geriatrick, I have been reading this thread and have been struggling to think of the right words without been insulting as usual, this kid needs a major reality check or he his a troll whoops there I go.

If this kid is for real then bubba help him, as for getting free well cheap 711 booze into anywhere a water bottle full of vodka will work but how doe's he pay 4 the boy what a cheap $$$$

Really I don't know what all the melodramatics are about, I want to drink on my vacation, don't have quite the money to do it as often as I want and want some ideas on how to get around steep club prices. And there have been a few good ideas here and I am appreciative of them.

As for Geriatrickid, I think you seem like a very worried person, you're first of all talking about the gay club scene as though it were host to the hel_l's Angles and other thugs. I might get into some kind of fight with someone? I should read up on it more? It's very likely that I've spent as much or more time in the Thai gay club scene than most people out there, even those a decade or more in Thailand. Because I spent a few years there cumulatively and there are large swaths of that time, up to 6 months at a time, where I went out EVERY night. Quite literally, for months, every night, maybe a break one night every couple of weeks. Do I say that because it's some badge of merit or to impress someone? No, in fact I'm sure it's something you would look down upon, but I had fun and that's why I did it, and I miss it now. But I tell you this to assuage any concerns over my safety or naivete. I am safe enough in Thailand to the point where it's no different than being say in my own country. I know the dangers, and I've avoided them in the past and I'm cautious in general. I also wash my backside with water and my left hand to this day, in my country, because it's cleaner. My point is, I'm familiar with the dangers and am not worried. You on the other hand may have some serious issues with regard to kind of maybe wanting to control every variable in a situation or something? Being preoccupied with what might go wrong? Just a guess.

Again, as for the talk of alcoholism and all of that, I didn't drink for most of my adult life, then started drinking again a few years ago. I don't have a problem at all and I don't drink here in the US, there's no point I'm alone here. But, again, as many people would, I want to get tipsy and yes sometimes drunk while I go out on the cheap. This doesn't have to be a huge social issue, it's a 'college kid' that wants to booze it up a little for a few weeks on vacation. And some good tips here, Long Island iced tea and buying a whole bottle, never would have thought of these things and I am going to look into them. Yes, Moderator, my questions have been largely answered, and I thank the forum.

One last point, again Geriatrickid, he doesn't buy the economic claims; judging by your name you're perhaps retired in Thailand? There is a reason this is called the worse crisis since the Great Depression, if you were here in the US I think you'd have a different view of things. Sure the stock markets are up again and the Fed says we're out of the recession, but unemployment is what everyone recognizes is going to be here for quite a while, and it continues to get worse. This is as bad as it's been for a while and there really are no jobs and unemployment, even though other indicators are just showing the beginnings of recovery, continues to worsen. I don't think the unemployment numbers have been observed to NOT rise since this thing began, and it seems clear it will get worse. So, it's serious, this isn't the dot com bust or the early nineties slump, this is different.

Now, is that reason to run off to Thailand? Of course not, I have ever good reason to stay home and save, but people do desperate and stupid things when they are alone, idle, stuck, sinking, depressed, etc. Will this worsen my situation? Maybe, it certainly won't improve things, but I need a morale boost or I really do have some more serious, existential problems. And it's hard to keep that out of my posts because it bothers me, so sorry for getting into the whole economy thing, that's not what this is about it's about clever tricks to drink cheap. Thanks again for the useful input.

Hey, you should forget Bangkok and come to Chiang Mai :D . Plenty of fun places to go, wall to wall gay boys, and no shortage of Farangs who've made a speciality out of getting drunk very cheaply. :D (That last one is meant in JEST before the indignant start replying :D )

Also, plenty of people in a similar situation to yourself. No prospects back home, life is hard and solitary, no chance of a job, expect for black market construction, no medical insurance, no family to help them if they get into trouble, serious alchohol abuse problems. Yet, they manage to get extremely drunk for 100 Bt per night (Bottle of lao kaao and a couple of sodas), or really shit faced for 250Bt with certain other substances :) (and the advantage you don't need to eat - another saving :D ) Yes, what you are planning is perfectly normal here, except most of the people I know who live like this come from Myanmar, not the USA :D

I know, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit....... (but Wit did have a nice body last time I checked :D )

Edited by Paagai

I proudly accept the comparison to a Burmese stiff. Hey, if they're living in Thailand they're not doing too bad. I always wondered why farang go to Chiang Mai for long periods of time, I guess you have to be into that sort of rural mountain type environment, which is nice, but the city itself just isn't that hopping if you ask me. Good looking guys though.

Wear dirty or unfashionable clothes and you will be treated accordingly.

True that. I was wearing $70 hiking pants (cargo pockets, zip off knees) and had a 'friend' give me a talking-to about how unstylish I was. I couldn't determine if Thais were brand conscious or not but my friends were certainly concerned about style.