Thai / English - Farang 101

stewstrum

Ok I understand now and agree….. I will not be able to learn enough of the language…. in the short amount of time I have available before my arrival…. With that said…..

What about the English or Western translation of various sites and locations between the expat farang crowd?

When I look at my Chiang Mai map…. I find myself just wondering about a conversation I may have with some scantily clad young lady asking me where we could meet the next day…… what would I tell her?

The big temple on the hill…..

There must be some way to communicate locations…… :)

Only a few weeks left until my arrival. Thank You for your assistance.

There is a way to communicate locations. If you told this potential young lady - or anyone for that matter - Doi Suthep, then everyone would know exactly where you are talking about.

I'm afraid to tell you that the ladies are hardly "scantily clad" here. It's not Las Ramblas in Barcelona, or Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. Maybe try Pattaya?

There is a way to communicate locations. If you told this potential young lady - or anyone for that matter - Doi Suthep, then everyone would know exactly where you are talking about.

I'm afraid to tell you that the ladies are hardly "scantily clad" here. It's not Las Ramblas in Barcelona, or Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. Maybe try Pattaya?

You just made my point. How do you pronounce...... Doi Suthep

I find myself just wondering about a conversation I may have with some scantily clad young lady asking me where we could meet the next day

When making appointments, stick with what you know. Besides, half the time they don't show up or are way late, so make it a place where you will be anyway.

So, best you can do is take a bunch of address cards from your hotel and make that the meeting place. Easy.

There must be some way to communicate locations…

Medical encyclopedia that includes pictures? :)

GPS coordinates?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Try to make a point of it to not show up at a temple with a scantly clad woman, of any race or age.

on a side note thai-language is a decent site, some things are incorrect. Also have fun with the constant questions you will be asking yourself about the language, such as. Why does K = G as in Krabi = Graby not Craby and C = J except when followed by an H, they it is all good.

Took me a bit to get past that western mentality and just say "I'm in their world now, get used to it".

Other than that, don't be shy, who cares if you feel you aren't a great speaker, Thai's love it that you try.

Edited by BlackArtemis