Update Manager?

Niloc

I am by no means an Ubuntu ex-spurt, but on this Ubuntu forum I saw this suggested for a similar problem

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgradeThis link may also give some clues

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1183932

Now I get :

colin@colin-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Reading package lists... Error!

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header

E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.in.th_osarchive_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_universe_binary-i386_Packages

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Looks like the update file is corrupted...

Maybe I could delete it and it will be rebuilt!!

Colin

I am by no means an Ubuntu ex-spurt, but on this Ubuntu forum I saw this suggested for a similar problem

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgradeThis link may also give some clues

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1183932

Now I get :

colin@colin-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Reading package lists... Error!

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header

E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/mirror.in.th_osarchive_ubuntu_dists_jaunty_universe_binary-i386_Packages

E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Looks like the update file is corrupted...

Maybe I could delete it and it will be rebuilt!!

Colin

Now your getting way beyond my limited knowledge.

The sources list is a text file of the web addresses of where packages are found. I do not think it would be rebuilt if delted, and I am not sure if there is a default list stored anywhere.

Maybe an upgrade to the new 9.10 Karmic may be the answwer, as I knwo some of the sources have changed and this upgrade does create a new sources list

On the second link I sent you there is a sample list of the Haunty sources list.

lines starting the a # are comments. This may help view and correct any errors

Colin,

I've been having problems with the Thailand servers, and ended up giving up on them about a week ago after wasting a good couple of hours trying to update to the new version 9.10 with no luck. I was able to update using the Singapore server, ubuntu.oss.eznetsols.org, with no problems and am continuing to use them.

If you are connecting to one of the Thailand download servers, maybe try another one in another country.

I'll occasionally let ubuntu do a "Select Best Servers" search for me, and it usually ends up in Singapore, Hong Kong, or Taiwan. Go to System>Administration>Software Sources and click Other in the download from list.

Higgy

The mirror site could be in an rsync and packages are out of whack.

The mirror in.th is not complete. Some files / packages are missing. You can grab most of the stuff off there because its fast, then switch to a different mirror elsewhere to get whatever else you need.

Very annoying.

Change to a different update server. You do it in Synaptic-> Repositories . Change source to a US server they are much better but can be slow at times . Thai servers are improper mirrors and most of the times doesn't work.