Estate Agents

easygoing123

I've heard good things about this one:

http://www.jasminehomes.co.th/index.php

But there are many out there, and I don't know how good they are. Myself I bought my house through a Thai friend.

Are you looking to buy or rent? I actually have a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom bungalow for sale. If any interest, please contact me.

Regards,

Chris

You picked the number 1 Estate Agent in CM The owner is British. I'm a yank and I bought threw him. The number 2 and closing is http://www.houseinchiangmai.net/?gclid=CPm...CFQUdewodcm33Ag I recommend either.

Buy or rent?

If buy, try www.jasminehomes.co.th

If rent, then don't bother with any of them.

We rented through Chiang Mai House (link in earlier post). Whilst I sort of agree with the sentiment of your post (that agents are unnecessary), I felt that they added a reasonable amount of value to me for zero (direct) cost. Now they were not great, but they did all of the following for me...

1) Found us 3 suitable houses to view the morning that we went to see them.

2) Negotiated the BKK based owner down to the amount we wanted to pay.

3) Gave us the keys to the (vacant) property on receipt of deposit thus allowing us to move items in early.

4) Arranged for UBC and ADSL to be (re)connected at the property in advance of us moving in.

5) Resolved a couple of loose ends subsequently, such as previous tenants not paying off the phone bill.

We surely could have driven around Chiang Mai and identified properties ourselves, contacted the owners to arrange viewings etc and then dealt with all of points 2-5. However, since it cost me nothing, I was more than happy to move that burden onto a third party.

Edited by OOB

Ok, fair enough. (Final verdict though would depend on the price vs the size/quality of the house. (No need to mention that though, I'm just stating the main factor that would swing it for me))

If a person's budget reaches to around 20K a month also for typical 3 bedroom, 50-100 sq. wa houses in typical gated developments then indeed real estate sites are worth looking into.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ok, fair enough. (Final verdict though would depend on the price vs the size/quality of the house. (No need to mention that though, I'm just stating the main factor that would swing it for me))

If a person's budget reaches to around 20K a month also for typical 3 bedroom, 50-100 sq. wa houses in typical gated developments then indeed real estate sites are worth looking into.

house or lot is sq wa? Might confuse a newbie.....?

Square Wa is one wa by one other wa. :) It's 4 square meters. There are 400 square wa in a rai. The absolute minimum size that you can possibly fit a regular home on is about 60-70 sq. wa but this is exceptionally tight, and leads to the typical sight in cheaper developments where the roofs of adjoining houses almost touch each other.

100 sq. wa is already better, and anything more than that will give you a more decent garden as well. That's not very common though in commercial developments.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

To the OP:

Are you wanting to buy or rent?

Personally I wouldn’t use any real estate agents in Thailand.

They work on commissions and charge Farang prices; you wont find any bargains there.

Also if the real estate agent is owned by a Farang, I have my doubts about it`s legality.

When my wife decided to purchase a house and land here in Chiang Mai, she first purchased the land (half a rai). Then we shopped around all the builders’ merchants and noted the prices for materials. After that we hired experienced local builders to build the house of our own design.

Saved millions of baht. Managed to build a huge 3-bedroom bungalow, with good quality materials for under 400000 baht including labour and all services. Not including the land. The land for half a rai cost 280000 baht. That was 2 years ago.

Taking an educated guess, I would say that if my wife would have purchased the equivalent property from a real estate agent, the price would not of been far off, 3 to 4 million baht.

Edited by sassienie

I've heard good things about this one:

http://www.jasminehomes.co.th/index.php

But there are many out there, and I don't know how good they are. Myself I bought my house through a Thai friend.

Are you looking to buy or rent? I actually have a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom bungalow for sale. If any interest, please contact me.

Regards,

Chris

Farangs cannot own land - can you explain (to avoid confusion) how 'I actually have...?' do you mean your wife/gf has...? or your company has...?