Comfortable Bus To Trat?

frenchFARANGbkk

hi,

I hate going anywhere by bus, bus it seems it won't be faster to go to Trat (then Ko KUUD) by plane, so let's take a bus, but is there any not-so-uncomfortable bus? I mean, a bus with no more than 30 seats so that you have enough space for your legs?

Thanks.

tried all possible ways of transportation to Trat.

plane: expensive and just a lil' bit of time saving as u need furtheron taxi to anywhere KC

bus: really really depends on luck. Last bus was a (white-blue colored) government bus (starting Ekamai) - just 12 ppl onboard (both thai and farang). Bus DID NOT STOP nowhere on its way and it was amazingly fast!!! (approx 4 hours from Bkk to Centre Point ferry pier)

limo/minivan: waste of money, imho. Same speed as most of the busses.

train: oooh, i would like to use the train once. but I guess i have to wait some 25 more years to enjoy that experience....

nuff said?

You can take on of the vile cramped minibuses which leave from Khao San Road if you can handle being crammed in with a load of smally backpackers!

If money is no object then try negotiating with a taxi especially if theres two or three of you.

Never get a bus from OUTSIDE Ekkamai. Go to the windows on your right as you go into Ekkamai for the direct bus but they all stop in Chanthaburi. Getting to Trat in quick time has been one of the ball aches of recent years.

I'm afraid its all the luck of the draw as to whether you get a bit of space on the bus but I've found that mid morning departures tend to be the least crowded.

as far as I remember the government bus is INSIDE ekamai LEFT side first window. and yes - agree with profFart - mid morning time tends to be the better time. last time i took that govt bus (it's a 30something seater) there was hardly passengers. maybe i was lucky maybe it is the rule. one thing 4sure: that (govt) bus doesn't stop nowhere (except one piss&food break) on its way to trat.

• 1 year later...

I've just checked with http://www.transport.co.th for an up to date timetable from BKK to Trat and there is a bus leaving BKK at 22.30 and another leaving at 25.30 would you believe...

Has anybody taken a bus from Ekamai recently?

I may have to get the 22.30 bus but that would mean me arriving in Trat at about 3.30 in the morning or maybe even earlier and that is not what I want really, if I can get the 25.30 bus, hoping that they mean 01.30 in the morning then that would suit me fine as I would arrive in Trat at about 6.30 ish - nice time to get some food and a walk around then get a sontaew to the ferry.

Has anybody taken the bus recently?? And what was the latest time to catch a bus?

All bus services can be hit and miss. Personally my worst experiences (total breakdown in the middle of the night, several hours' wait before replacement bus arrives) have been with private companies.

Government buses are usually more reliable in my experience anyway.

Dont know about 24 seaters to Trat, I havent been able to find any before though.

According to my research and travels last spring (April), the 24 seat VIP bus has been discontinued. Now they have a 32 seater with no toilet.

Stops in Chonburi and Chantaburi and along the road to pick people up. Took a little over 5 hours including three stops for toilet use at highway gas stations.

One big prob is that they have moved the bus station away from the Trat market area by a km. or so. Now the pirates wait there and try and charge triple the price for transportation to the island.

I walk out into the street and get a motorbike or baht bus headed into town for 10 baht. Then I can pay the regular price to the ferry.

hope this helps,

'nuff said

~