Looking For A Bike For A Big Guy

Randell

I am coming to Chiang Rai on Nov 24th to the wifes farm for 4 months. I am looking for a reasonally priced bike. I am 6 ft 3in.and 280 lbs, so no light weight to say the least. It has been suggested that the 250 Tiger is to small for some one my size. I have ridden a Phantom but I'm sure I dwarf the machine and may present a odd sight. For many years in Phuket I used to have an old Yamaha 400 single trail bike great power and it would climb trees but top end was to unstable to ride much on the highway. So I know 400 would be enough but would entertain anything up to 750 I don't think I want to go any bigger. I don't think my body type suit a sport bike. So If you have some thing that you think would be of interest to me please let me know I am not in any rush as always have small bikes to use at the farm. So I don't want to limit what would work but somthing like a Trans Alp or Africa twin or Cruiser Any ideas or something else give me a shout

Thanks very much

Randell

You might want to try out an ER6n- very versatile, neutral and easy to ride 650cc road bike and many available for rent now in Chiang Mai. (Not sure about Chiang Rai).

110709SSRBikes3.JPG

They're all less than a year old so generally in very good condition whereas you never know what you might get if you rent something older.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Perhaps the Kawasaki D-Tracker X or Kawasaki KLX, both are 250cc and very similar bikes but the D-Tracker has road tyres as opposed to the off-road tyres that the KLX has which might suit you better if you'll be using it on a farm. Both can be bought from the Kawa dealer in Chiang Mai for about 149k brand new and as I'm also in CR I'd be happy to look after it for you after your 4 months is up! :)

You might want to try out an ER6n- very versatile, neutral and easy to ride 650cc road bike and many available for rent now in Chiang Mai. (Not sure about Chiang Rai).

110709SSRBikes3.JPG

They're all less than a year old so generally in very good condition whereas you never know what you might get if you rent something older.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Get a BMW 800. That, or buy a used GS, there are 1100/1150s for sale up there as far as I know.

Get a BMW 800. That, or buy a used GS, there are 1100/1150s for sale up there as far as I know.

Heh heh, don't get me wrong- I love BMW motorcycles, but here in Thailand for the price of one new Beemer he can get a new ER6n, and KLX 250 and a D-Tracker and still have money left over. :)

And what's he going to do when his Beemer breaks or needs service up there?

Saw my first BMW HP2 at the Bangsaen Bike Week and fell in love until they told me the price tag- 1.3 million Baht... :D

01_bmw_hp2_sport.jpg

Same bike sells for about 860K Baht back home...

Thanks for all your replies. The new Yamaha's and BMW's are out of my price range at this time. Plus weight on arms and bent like that isn't really a match for my portly stature. (hoping that its not always so) So at this time I think a cruiser woulds suit best, Steed,Shadow,Vulcan etc. Thanks Randell

Do try an ER6 if you can.. I am a bit on the large and lardy side myself and find that cruisers put strain on my back that I dont feel on an upright kind of position. The ER6 looks like a more sport position than it feels.

Thanks for that LivinLos. I still can't afford th Er6 at this time. But if you think that riding position would suit me. I wonder am I too big for the 200 Tiger are there any dealers in Chiang Rai? I have been reading that the Tiger was'n suitable to one of my height 6' 3". I guess a sport tourer would suit but most likely won't be able to afford them either at this point. I would like to give the Tiger a try I think I have heard great things about it in this forum and it is in my price range. Randell :)

Do try an ER6 if you can.. I am a bit on the large and lardy side myself and find that cruisers put strain on my back that I dont feel on an upright kind of position. The ER6 looks like a more sport position than it feels.

Thanks for that LivinLos. I still can't afford th Er6 at this time. But if you think that riding position would suit me. I wonder am I too big for the 200 Tiger are there any dealers in Chiang Rai? I have been reading that the Tiger was'n suitable to one of my height 6' 3". I guess a sport tourer would suit but most likely won't be able to afford them either at this point. I would like to give the Tiger a try I think I have heard great things about it in this forum and it is in my price range. Randell :D

I just reread my last post realized to late to change that I thinking 250RS but wrote Tiger 200. :)

Thanks for that LivinLos. I still can't afford th Er6 at this time. But if you think that riding position would suit me. I wonder am I too big for the 200 Tiger are there any dealers in Chiang Rai? I have been reading that the Tiger was'n suitable to one of my height 6' 3". I guess a sport tourer would suit but most likely won't be able to afford them either at this point. I would like to give the Tiger a try I think I have heard great things about it in this forum and it is in my price range. Randell :D

I think you really have to look beyond purchase price and look at total cost of ownership.. ANY old bike here is fraught with problems, and unless its a CB400 or CBR400 its also fraught with parts supply issues, where every nut and bold can end up costing you big, AND it will have been maintained with every corner cut, parts not intended bodged in, etc etc etc.

So yes it might seem cheap to pick up a 50k 400.. And then you put 20k into sorting it out.. And then the book needs 20k in tax due to some messing in the past.. And then you need some parts.. And then etc.. Then you go to sell it and your gonna get none of that investment back, or god forbid you drop it or otherwise bend it, its a write off and old bikes cant get comp insurance. Or you could get an ER6, put 75k down pay about 7k a month (the numbers are on the forum) with warranty, have access to mechanics who know the bike, parts that are dirt cheap, and instantly available. and basically have a very easy life. If you crash it you have fully comp insurance (old bikes cant get this) thats also a big consideration !! It pretty much guarantees you some resale value down the road if thats what you choose.

I realise I am sounding like a broken record, which is odd as I dont have a Kwaker, but they are IMO the cheapest total cost of ownership over a 3 year period (or one of the cheapest, D-Tracker etc also) to remain actually riding not hunting for bits and fixing up badly bodged things. The cost of running a big bike is far more than simply the initial outlay !! This is worth knowing before you jump in !!

If you really cant or dont want to stump up for that much.. Then your sort of looking at phantoms or maybe a clean CB400 to be less outlay. And even a many year old clean CB400 is going to be over the 75k downpayment and might cost in maintenance the same as paying the monthly. So its now bike for old bike money (if you sell it to yourself :)), be it the D-Tracker, KLX or ER6 kwaker really changed the market, being able to go get it fixed with parts supply on demand is just worth so much.

Just my 2c.. There really isnt a lot out there in the lower end of the market thats worth owning, what seems cheap usually is for a reason.

I think you really have to look beyond purchase price and look at total cost of ownership.. ANY old bike here is fraught with problems, and unless its a CB400 or CBR400 its also fraught with parts supply issues, where every nut and bold can end up costing you big, AND it will have been maintained with every corner cut, parts not intended bodged in, etc etc etc.

So yes it might seem cheap to pick up a 50k 400.. And then you put 20k into sorting it out.. And then the book needs 20k in tax due to some messing in the past.. And then you need some parts.. And then etc.. Then you go to sell it and your gonna get none of that investment back, or god forbid you drop it or otherwise bend it, its a write off and old bikes cant get comp insurance. Or you could get an ER6, put 75k down pay about 7k a month (the numbers are on the forum) with warranty, have access to mechanics who know the bike, parts that are dirt cheap, and instantly available. and basically have a very easy life. If you crash it you have fully comp insurance (old bikes cant get this) thats also a big consideration !! It pretty much guarantees you some resale value down the road if thats what you choose.

I realise I am sounding like a broken record, which is odd as I dont have a Kwaker, but they are IMO the cheapest total cost of ownership over a 3 year period (or one of the cheapest, D-Tracker etc also) to remain actually riding not hunting for bits and fixing up badly bodged things. The cost of running a big bike is far more than simply the initial outlay !! This is worth knowing before you jump in !!

If you really cant or dont want to stump up for that much.. Then your sort of looking at phantoms or maybe a clean CB400 to be less outlay. And even a many year old clean CB400 is going to be over the 75k downpayment and might cost in maintenance the same as paying the monthly. So its now bike for old bike money (if you sell it to yourself :) ), be it the D-Tracker, KLX or ER6 kwaker really changed the market, being able to go get it fixed with parts supply on demand is just worth so much.

Just my 2c.. There really isnt a lot out there in the lower end of the market thats worth owning, what seems cheap usually is for a reason.

Thanks again LivinLos some very information and insight. gives me lots to mull over.

Randell :D

If you really cant or dont want to stump up for that much.. Then your sort of looking at phantoms or maybe a clean CB400 to be less outlay. And even a many year old clean CB400 is going to be over the 75k downpayment and might cost in maintenance the same as paying the monthly. So its now bike for old bike money (if you sell it to yourself :) ), be it the D-Tracker, KLX or ER6 kwaker really changed the market, being able to go get it fixed with parts supply on demand is just worth so much.

Good Points LivinLOS,

My mate just bent both wheels on his Triumph Tiger and it's going to take 6 weeks to have new ones shipped from the UK and the cost, while covered by insurance, is something like 30,000 Baht!

Contrast that to my friend who just crashed my old ER6n:

110309ER6nSm.jpg

Oh dear, my beloved ER6n is not looking so happy... embarrassed.gif

110309ER6n1Sm.jpg

Repaired in 1 day and total cost for parts and labor was a mere 1900 Baht!

I don't think I'd be riding one of these Kwackers (ER6n or Ninja 650R) if I were back in the US, but here in Thailand they are such a good deal that I just couldn't justify the expense of buying an import and dealing with the hassles and expense of parts and service.

Happy Trails!

Tony

If you contact Tiger motorcycles direct you can arrange a test ride. Then decide. It might be a little on the small side but it depends what you want to do with it. It is a very good around town and lower speed tourer (110-120 kmh).

And fairly cheap, Though the quality is good and you get a 3 year/30thou warranty.

You will be able to see the 250rs and speak to TIGER at the Dragons MC/ Thaivisa charity bike week in Kanchanaburi 21-22 November.

For details look at the website in my Signature.

Allan

close to the jet yod ntersction where the central cloc tower is there are enduro bikes for rent that you could probably buy for personal use.

Cant remember the models but they are real ebduro bikes with high seats that would probably fit you, seeing how your gonna be on a farm, an enduro sounds like a good bet.

Edited by Powerband

close to the jet yod ntersction where the central cloc tower is there are enduro bikes for rent that you could probably buy for personal use.

Cant remember the models but they are real ebduro bikes with high seats that would probably fit you, seeing how your gonna be on a farm, an enduro sounds like a good bet.

Or for the same price of one of those old, thrashed Honda XR's with 50,000km's + you could buy a brand new Kawasaki KLX250 or D-Tracker from the Chiang Mai Kawa dealer with warranty. I agree with the high seat advice though as you're quite a big fella and either of these would be fine on the farm or road.

Hi Randell, I am 6'1" and 200Lbs. I bought a Yamaha T MAX Auto which is a 500cc and capable of 180 KPH with ease. I have just completed a trip to the Malaysian Moto Gp and Singapore return with Yamaha Big Bike Club. Had no problems and it is a great cruising bike as well as a fast bike will take your weight and length with ease. Cost registered and insured on the road, Baht 555,000.you can probably check it out on www.yamaha-motor.co.th or email chatree (at)yamaha-square.com and tell him Pee Nit Noi told him to look after you. Cheers :)

Hi

Special road tires on that ER6n

Pirelli MT60 Enduros :)

But why?? he goes offroad??

That was my bike, and yes, I took it off road and had plans to use if for touring Laos and Cambodia. Awesome tires! Still regretting my decision to sell it but hoping the KLR650 will come to Thailand soon as that would be the PERFECT bike for touring SE Asia IMO.

4.jpg

Ride On!

you might want to look at the Yamaha Virago's... they are mostly a harley imitation cruiser in the 500 to 750cc range.. I like em with the lean back handle bars, I have a bad back and don't like leaning forward to drive...