Boring Out A 125cc Wave To 135cc

-noodles-

...not sure if 10hp more would make too much difference.

Adding 10hp to a 10hp bike will make it quite a little screamer.

Adding 4-5hp to my 17hp CBR150 makes a very big difference, Doubling the Wave? Watch out! Also don't try to corner too hard - no gas tank to stabilize your legs...

Use synthetic oil (and maybe an oil cooler) to keep the engine cooler. If it overheats with those bored-out super thin cylinder walls, then... meltdown.

Glad you have a disk brake in front!

Edited by wjmark

... i have a Fireblade 900cc at home but there are nicer roads around where i live on the Gold Coast in Australia.

Hey noodles, I just bought a bike in Australia and I keep it at a mates place near the Goldie, I got a CBR600 & its a screamer over mount tamborine & beaudessert........should line up a ride sometime, I dont know anyone around there with a bike :)

We talking here about a Honda Wave 125X, which is equipped with a Keihin carburetor? Now I know they have modified ignition coils, racing CDI (unlimited CDI) for the Honda Wave, but a ECU with dip-switches is completely new for me. Who sells that?

It's a Wave 125R which i think preceded the 125X but not sure if it had the same carby.

Having seen this bike, i would say its been money well spent so far as looks alot better...not sure if 10hp more would make too much difference.

I agree with comments that the CBR 150 is a good bike, i had one but sold it once the baby was born last year (gf cant ride it). :)

btw good to see you got rid of the front basket.... :D

thanks mate, yes getting rid of the front basket definitely makes it go faster :D

PB200005_800x600.jpg

Edited by -noodles-

... i have a Fireblade 900cc at home but there are nicer roads around where i live on the Gold Coast in Australia.

Hey noodles, I just bought a bike in Australia and I keep it at a mates place near the Goldie, I got a CBR600 & its a screamer over mount tamborine & beaudessert........should line up a ride sometime, I dont know anyone around there with a bike :)

Hi neverdie, the CBR600 is a nice ride and very popular on the gold coast too.

There are some great rides in the area and down through the Numinbah valley and towards Byron Bay. Unfortunately i think i'll be selling her as i've decided to stay in thailand longer and it's a shame she's locked up on a stand. Google weekendriders which is a riding board with lots of members around Gold Coast and Brisbane. They have organised rides every weekend and we'd often do 250-300km rides in a day. Most members ride sports bikes.

That first picture in the very first post of that green wave is in the parking lot of my old apartment.

Wait. What the ***!

Thats my old honda wave!

What is that black one?

Wait. Thats my old wave too!

What did you do to it!

Haha!

You didn't have too many problems did you? :)

hi Lenny, thanks for your bike and i hope you like the new colour :D

She's been running great since i got it with no problems. I will also put a 80/90 tyre on the front when it's time to replace.

Hey noodles, I just bought a bike in Australia and I keep it at a mates place near the Goldie, I got a CBR600 & its a screamer over mount tamborine & beaudessert........should line up a ride sometime, I dont know anyone around there with a bike :D

Hi neverdie, the CBR600 is a nice ride and very popular on the gold coast too.

There are some great rides in the area and down through the Numinbah valley and towards Byron Bay. Unfortunately i think i'll be selling her as i've decided to stay in thailand longer and it's a shame she's locked up on a stand. Google weekendriders which is a riding board with lots of members around Gold Coast and Brisbane. They have organised rides every weekend and we'd often do 250-300km rides in a day. Most members ride sports bikes.

Thanks for the tip noodles, I will try that website next time Im in oz. I took a ride a couple of weeks ago thru the Numinbah valley, ended up in Murwillumbah and then went inland down some sensational roads before heading accross to Nimbin on that goat track, went slightly south of Nimbin and ended up on a road that took me out to a place, I think its called Kyoggle? Awesome run and nobody in sight.....I had to ease back to the coast and head north again as I ran out of back tyre :) .....the bikes presntly on stands with no rego & a completely wrooted rear tyre awaiting my return for more fun and adventures.

On my next trip back, Im gonna reshod it, rego & head south to Sydney, doing a few rides thru places like Bellingen and the Oxley Highways, if I can stretch it and the old back is up to it, I was gonna head to Victoria for a couple of weeks, I would like to do a couple of laps of the Great Ocean Road but I dunno if I will get that far. :D

Sorry, offtopic. Have you played with the sprockets on the Wave yet.....did you suss out that gearing website I gave you, its actually got the Wave 110cc in its database.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I dropped 40k all on on my Honda C70 over 3 years and its been well worth it. It used to pull 140kmp on the maxed out setting with a tiger engine and modded crank 150cc kawa piston and oil cooler etc..etc... but now I just have a dream head and barrel on the the "custom" block and took the barrel out to take a wave 150 piston. Its VERY grunty. only held back by a 3 speed box. I did change the gearing for higher top end (no need for wheelies at my age) and its a good cruiser now.

I have a Wave 100 as well and I'm trying to sell it because if I don't it will end up getting a similar work over and being a 130kmh bike which I wouldn't want to part with. problem then is: Why have two bikes that do the same thing?

5k is high for your over bore. 2-3k max up here in Korat. And done well.

as for reliability. Well with the exception of my first modified crank (relocated con rod by 2.5mm and built up to increase inertia) which lasted an hour before snapping, it has never been a serious problem. I got about 10,000 km of distance cruising and comuting before I forgot to check the oil after a dry spell and blew the bottom end out of the engine (and I mean blew the crank case to the floor, foot pegs and everything. Engine was a right off. But only costs 5k for a new engine with a book. (fortunately I had a friend who "Gave" me an engine as they were upgrading... )

Boring is not boring.

I bored out a 12 year old HOnda 100 Dream to 125 and it was a great improvement.

I bored out and old 90cc two storke to 125 and it was a lot more fun.

I just bored out my 125 Wave to 150 and it is a lot better (I also have a larger carb)

My friend just bored out his 125 Wave to 150 and is as happy as can be.

Sounds like you've had some fun tickering with bikes :)

Do you know if your mate had any problems boring the 125 to a 150cc?

NO PROBLEMS

I HAVE SINCE BORED OUT TO 150 FROM 125 MY Wave-i

Change the exhaust to the 125X model.

It is a nice difference once you have the throttle tured a bit.

Your mate says he's happy but do you know what it cost (ballpark)?

125 - 150 = 1500 baht

exhaust is 1800 baht

Does it heat up too much?

NEVER ANY HEATING PROBLEMS.

If you live in Pattaya, PM me and I can show you where it was done. It is a standard 125 - 150 kit.

NGK - BRK9EGP - the number can range anywhere from 6-9 that I know of, the lower the number the hotter the plug will run, the ceramic nose where the electrode is will have a larger surface area to draw more heat out of the combustion chamber and transfer it into the cylinder head's cooling system.

Heat range 7 is perfect for air cooled engines. liquid cooled runs 8 cast iron cylinder and 9 with aluminum cylinder

Your Wave looks cool.

Lose the mirrors for an extra mph.

I say do what sounds fun and you can afford.

I bored and head ported my old Ruckus and jumped from 49cc to a whopping 59cc.

Still a 20% increase did give me a noticeable seat of the pants improvement.

My Veypor gauge/dyno showed a 1-2hp increase over 10 runs (it's not very accurate, but with averages it shows some sort of improvement).

It also got me a few extra mph in top speed.

If you can find someone to port and match your cylinder head to the carb, that would help a lot.

Or, you may want to just drop in a bigger engine.

I know guys that have dropped 150cc Lifan engines into their Monkey and Gorilla frames (originally 50cc).

Assuming your bike has the same engine mounting points as a Z50, CT70, CRF50, XR50, etc then you might be able to go big.

Here's a link of engines for the Honda minibike engines out there.

http://www.tboltusa.com/store/engines-c-114.html

Your engine looks very similar, there's a good chance these bigger motors will bolt up to your frame.

Maybe you could source of of these somewhere, they're all coming from China.

Your Wave looks cool.

Lose the mirrors for an extra mph.

I say do whatever sounds fun and your BB sounds cheap enough but the sprockets are definitely a cheaper and easier way to go.

I bored and head ported my old Ruckus and jumped from 49cc to a whopping 59cc.

Still a 20% increase did give me a noticeable seat of the pants improvement.

My Veypor gauge/dyno showed a 1hp increase (it's not very accurate, but the averages showed some sort of improvement).

It also got me a few extra mph in top speed.

If you can find someone to port and match your cylinder head to the carb, that would help a lot.

Of course on your bike 10cc is only 8% so you might not feel much difference.

Or, you may want to just drop in a bigger engine.

I know guys that have dropped 150cc Lifan engines into their Monkey and Gorilla frames (originally 50cc).

Assuming your bike has the same engine mounting points as a Z50, CT70, CRF50, XR50, etc then you might be able to go big.

Here's a link of engines for the Honda minibike engines out there.

http://www.tboltusa.com/store/engines-c-114.html

Your engine looks very similar, there's a good chance these bigger motors will bolt up to your frame.

Maybe you could source one of these from a shop that sells Chinese bikes.

Tiger Engines bolt in easy enough.

Everytime I look at that side exit carb I am tempted to big bore my wave instead of selling it. I really don't need it, but dam_n, it would be sweet to have that power and a manual clutch. This is probably how accidents happen...