Boring Out A 125cc Wave To 135cc

-noodles-

About 7 months ago i bought a 4 year old Honda Wave 125cc from a board member here for 10k. I've since spent about 20k on it including new fairing, wheels, carby, front & rear suspension, front disc, calipers and lighting.

The new carby definitely makes it go quicker (and use more fuel) but i'd like it to go even faster. I have been quoted 5k to bore it out to 135cc which includes new piston, rings, valves and cam. Is this a fair price?

Is it also possible to replace the sprockets to give it better acceleration?

Do people think i'm wasting my money or should i do what makes me happy :)

Some before and after pics:

IMG_3399_800x600.jpg

PB090005_800x600.jpg

Edited by -noodles-

5 thousand sounds like a way lot of money.

I just bored out my CBR150 to 160, and piston, rings, boring the sleeve, gaskets, and labour was less than 2500 baht. Don't know the exact amount, but with a 450 baht iradium sparkplug, 1.5liters synthetic oil (500bt), and a brand new kehin carb (1600bt), the total bill was only 4800 baht...

I have always been told by every mechanic that it is not good to bore out Waves (I wanted to do my Wave too), as they become unreliable. Can overheat too easily etc.

One thing I would do is replace the spoked rims with solid aluminum rims. I have seen the spoked rims collapse in half on a few occasion and with more speed the sturdier rims with be a blessing. photos courtesy [visualthailand.com]

post-91890-1257768660_thumb.jpg

post-91890-1257768672_thumb.jpg

post-91890-1257768689_thumb.jpg

post-91890-1257768702_thumb.jpg

post-91890-1257768717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nio

Nice looking Wave. Well as you and others says, its make you happy and that is the main thing and its your money too. :)

Have you considered buying something bigger? Your Wave looks like racing trim, so CBR 150, Kawa 250 or the new Tiger TT falls into mind, all nippy little racing bikes, well I haven't tried any of them, am not into them anymore, I am taking it easy nowadays. :D

The cbr 150 seems to be very popular just look at the topics on them here in thaivisa, must be one of the biggest views/replies in the whole forum.

Not sure if the wave has a chain or belt, but the first thing to do is change the sprockets. Depending on if your looking for quicker acceleration or top speed.

Drop a tooth on front or go 2 up on the back. Before boring it out, i'd get an Ecu.

Camming these bikes requires someone with good knowledge, theres stage 1 and stage 2 cams, and it can be hard to get the degree right and be streetable.

In any case i'd do the sprockets first, theyre the cheapest and most effective.

Looking for top end get bigger wheels and the front forks that can accomodate them.

powerband,

look at the photo dude, its a honda wave, its got chain and sprokets.

i also agree that playing with sprokets MAY be the way to go, mainly because its not top end the OP is chasing but rather gearing favourable to faster acceleration.

OP, You are talking about a motorcycle which would only be producing about 10hp (maybe a bit more), boring it out 10cc and spending 5k thb to do so is only relative to how much money youve got in the bank, so if ur down to ur last 5k, ur mad, if the equivilant of 150usd isnt going to break ur bank, go right ahead. Make sure you report back to us with the results.

You have certainly made some nice improvements to the little machine, good on you, safe riding and enjoy.

PS: OP, there is a website that helps you with re-gearing using sprocket changes, it will tell you what changes will be made to the bikes acceleartion and top speed etc by changing the sprockets.

Follow this link, I'm not sure if they have honda wave in their database, but you can enter the details manually, good luck: -

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Edited by neverdie

Not sure if the wave has a chain or belt, but the first thing to do is change the sprockets. Depending on if your looking for quicker acceleration or top speed.

And if you want more of both ??

Drop a tooth on front or go 2 up on the back. Before boring it out, i'd get an Ecu.

And the ECU on the carb wave would restrict it how ??

I would look at getting another bike if it's extra speed you're after. The Wave is a practical 'ladies' bike, very reliable, cheap to run and buy, but it's no 'boy's racer'. It seems you got a decent buy for 10k, but the extra 20k you've spent will add very little to the value.

If you want a more powerful bike, then I would consider a Raider 150 or Sonic 125, both these are step thrus and around 20k second hand. You could also get a CBR 150. Sorry to sound negative, but to continue spending money on the Wave will increase little in terms of power or resale value.

Boring is not boring.

I bored out a 12 year old HOnda 100 Dream to 125 and it was a great improvement.

I bored out and old 90cc two storke to 125 and it was a lot more fun.

I just bored out my 125 Wave to 150 and it is a lot better (I also have a larger carb)

My friend just bored out his 125 Wave to 150 and is as happy as can be.

And if you want more of both ??

And the ECU on the carb wave would restrict it how ??

Ask the second question again, I cant understand it even after 3 beers. I didnt mention anything about restriction.

If your looking for more of both, get the engine balanced... Good luck finding someone that can do it though.

Maybe remove the front basket, at least it will look faster....hahaha

5,000 Baht for a complete bore-up kit is not expensive, I can remember that I was quoted 35,000 Baht for a bore-up to 198cc (was not a Honda Wave)

Hehe, yes i have since removed the basket and it does go a bit faster now :D

I only really use it to carry around the spare helmet but it doesn't get used much anyway :)

The 5k quote sounds ok ... i went to a few other places and was quoted 10k, 7k and 6k plus.

5 thousand sounds like a way lot of money.

I just bored out my CBR150 to 160, and piston, rings, boring the sleeve, gaskets, and labour was less than 2500 baht. Don't know the exact amount, but with a 450 baht iradium sparkplug, 1.5liters synthetic oil (500bt), and a brand new kehin carb (1600bt), the total bill was only 4800 baht...

I have always been told by every mechanic that it is not good to bore out Waves (I wanted to do my Wave too), as they become unreliable. Can overheat too easily etc.

It sounds like you got a good price on your kit although i wouldn't think the price difference between yours and mine would be much different. Thanks for the tip about boring out a 125cc... that sounds right if the sleeve isn't left with much meat on it after being bored out.

One thing I would do is replace the spoked rims with solid aluminum rims. I have seen the spoked rims collapse in half on a few occasion and with more speed the sturdier rims with be a blessing. photos courtesy [visualthailand.com]

Not sure if i'll be doing the sort of riding that will make them collapse... plus i just spent 900 baht on those ones :) . I'm sure i've also read somewhere that spoke wheels are more superior than solid rims.

Nice looking Wave. Well as you and others says, its make you happy and that is the main thing and its your money too. :)

Have you considered buying something bigger? Your Wave looks like racing trim, so CBR 150, Kawa 250 or the new Tiger TT falls into mind, all nippy little racing bikes, well I haven't tried any of them, am not into them anymore, I am taking it easy nowadays. :D

The cbr 150 seems to be very popular just look at the topics on them here in thaivisa, must be one of the biggest views/replies in the whole forum.

Thanks mate. I'm pretty happy with a 125cc for the time being and happy to take it easy around town. A mate sold his CBR150 not long ago because he was sick of clutching up and down around town. Not sure i'm in the market for a bigger bike yet and if i'd make full use of it if i had one... i have a Fireblade 900cc at home but there are nicer roads around where i live on the Gold Coast in Australia.

Camming these bikes requires someone with good knowledge, theres stage 1 and stage 2 cams, and it can be hard to get the degree right and be streetable.

In any case i'd do the sprockets first, theyre the cheapest and most effective.

Looking for top end get bigger wheels and the front forks that can accomodate them.

Yes it has a chain and i was also thinking it might be more effective to change the sprockets than bore it out. I remember i went -1/+2 on the Fireblade and there was a noticeable difference in the bottom end.

What is an ECU? I just googled ... is it Engine Control Unit? Sounds like it would be a pain to try and get one installed by a local plus the cost of it probably makes it not worth it. Mucking around with camming it right also sounds like it might give me headaches :)

I think i'll go with the sprocket change first and see how it feels.

powerband,

look at the photo dude, its a honda wave, its got chain and sprokets.

i also agree that playing with sprokets MAY be the way to go, mainly because its not top end the OP is chasing but rather gearing favourable to faster acceleration.

OP, You are talking about a motorcycle which would only be producing about 10hp (maybe a bit more), boring it out 10cc and spending 5k thb to do so is only relative to how much money youve got in the bank, so if ur down to ur last 5k, ur mad, if the equivilant of 150usd isnt going to break ur bank, go right ahead. Make sure you report back to us with the results.

You have certainly made some nice improvements to the little machine, good on you, safe riding and enjoy.

PS: OP, there is a website that helps you with re-gearing using sprocket changes, it will tell you what changes will be made to the bikes acceleartion and top speed etc by changing the sprockets.

Follow this link, I'm not sure if they have honda wave in their database, but you can enter the details manually, good luck: -

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Thanks for the link, very informative.

Yes i think you've also convinced me to go with the sprocket change first.

It's definitely bottom end power i'm chasing and want quicker acceleration.

I'm happy to sacrifice top end speed for that as long as i'm first off the lights :)

I would look at getting another bike if it's extra speed you're after. The Wave is a practical 'ladies' bike, very reliable, cheap to run and buy, but it's no 'boy's racer'. It seems you got a decent buy for 10k, but the extra 20k you've spent will add very little to the value.

If you want a more powerful bike, then I would consider a Raider 150 or Sonic 125, both these are step thrus and around 20k second hand. You could also get a CBR 150. Sorry to sound negative, but to continue spending money on the Wave will increase little in terms of power or resale value.

I'm more after acceleration than top end speed.

Yes i'm aware that i won't get my money back but i'm not too worried about that.

Spending about AU$1,000 on a bike i can have fun with is what matters more to me.

I will change the sprockets and will probably stop spending there.

Boring is not boring.

I bored out a 12 year old HOnda 100 Dream to 125 and it was a great improvement.

I just bored out my 125 Wave to 150 and it is a lot better (I also have a larger carb)

Sounds like you've had some fun tickering with bikes :)

Do you know if your mate had any problems boring the 125 to a 150cc?

Your mate says he's happy but do you know what it cost (ballpark)?

Does it heat up too much?

the sleeve isn't left with much meat on it after being bored out.

From 125cc to 135cc, what we talk about in actual bigger bore... It is about 2 millimeter increase of diameter, after 2mm you need to start to worry, as that would tip the engine and performance will actually be less then it was before....

Actually, one to two millimeter bore-up's are often done to recover damaged cylinders it is nothing seriously enough to worry about...

Edited by Richard-BKK

I'm more after acceleration than top end speed.

Yes i'm aware that i won't get my money back but i'm not too worried about that.

Spending about AU$1,000 on a bike i can have fun with is what matters more to me.

I will change the sprockets and will probably stop spending there.

Your correct, it's not big money and you seem happy with the bike. I don't know what the price of a rebore should be, but spending to little will probably result in a poor job.

I would recommend trying to find some Thais who are good at modifications and see what they suggest.

The ECU is only between 1800-3000 baht depending on what brand you get. The adjustable ones allow you to dial in by DIP switches the powercurve your looking for.

An ECU is a simple plug and play installation, just unplug your old ECU and plug the new one in.

I had a car that I installed a ground wire kit in and it helped alot. Its just wires with connectors you can make one yourself.

On a side not a friend of mine just changed the battery on his bike and now it runs better. An old battery will put excessive draw on the alternator and cause drag, not only this but the power going into the ECU will be pretty dirty power, the battery also serves as a means to smooth out the power feeding the ECU.

I haven't tried this but installing a capacitor inline with the power wire going into the ECU of adequate capacitance would also smooth out the power supply even further.

On the CBR150's there is a resistor in the sparkplug boot thats used to reduce radio frequency emissions, try removing that and see if it runs better. Theres also an NGK needle tip racing sparkplug you can try, it wont make it faster but the throttle response will improve, and if your lucky the top end may increase a little bit do to a stronger spark thats neede at higher rpm's.

NGK - BRK9EGP - the number can range anywhere from 6-9 that I know of, the lower the number the hotter the plug will run, the ceramic nose where the electrode is will have a larger surface area to draw more heat out of the combustion chamber and transfer it into the cylinder head's cooling system.

More than likely you'll see another gain by installing a longer tube on that airfilter to increase velocity.

Boring is not boring.

Sounds like you've had some fun tickering with bikes :)

Do you know if your mate had any problems boring the 125 to a 150cc?

Your mate says he's happy but do you know what it cost (ballpark)?

Does it heat up too much?

Cost was 1,500 baht in Pattaya... If you are here, it wsa at the shop on Soi 17, just west of 3rd Road, opposite the beauty school. Theowner's name is Piak and he speaks English very very well.

We talking here about a Honda Wave 125X, which is equipped with a Keihin carburetor? Now I know they have modified ignition coils, racing CDI (unlimited CDI) for the Honda Wave, but a ECU with dip-switches is completely new for me. Who sells that?

Having seen this bike, i would say its been money well spent so far as looks alot better...not sure if 10hp more would make too much difference.

I agree with comments that the CBR 150 is a good bike, i had one but sold it once the baby was born last year (gf cant ride it). :)

btw good to see you got rid of the front basket.... :D

We talking here about a Honda Wave 125X, which is equipped with a Keihin carburetor? Now I know they have modified ignition coils, racing CDI (unlimited CDI) for the Honda Wave, but a ECU with dip-switches is completely new for me. Who sells that?

I am still confused on what a ECU is doing on a carbs / non FI bike..

I mean CDI OK, but 'dip switches to set the power band' on a carbed machine ??