Foreign Id Card Or Thai Drivers License

kyb789

I have a Thai driver's license but never carried it, since I do not drive. I was wondering if the Thai police would show any favoritism or preference if I presented to them my Thai license instead of my usual foreign drivers license (as a form of ID). There are so many stop and search police around Sukhumvit and lets not forget the police waiving down taxis, it got me thinking. I know one should carry their passport, but like most foreigners, I rarely do.

Is it better to act like an ignorant tourist, or act like a local in Thailand. I guess that is my point of the question. Any experiences?

Living in the country I have never been stop to have my ID check. One time I was stopped on the motorbike and they check all my paper and my thai license. Once they figured out that I was legal I have never been bothered by anyone in my home town. I also used my thai license to get on the airplane in Ubon

I never ever carry my passport, it's far too an important document should you loose it. I too have a Thai drivers licence which I carry at all times. Should I ever be asked for identification (which never seems to happen where I live), the production of that, plus a cheery smile and a little bit of chit chat in Thai should do the trick.biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Hello,

I have a german drivers license (plastic ID) + a international drivers license issued in Germany. Can I get (buy) a Thai drivers license?

Just go in and present your German license pay the Baht and your goog for five years. I like in Bangkok and have never been stopped for an ID check. A few speeding tickets and a few cash payments for speeding. Love this country :) .

Hello,

I have a german drivers license (plastic ID) + a international drivers license issued in Germany. Can I get (buy) a Thai drivers license?

Just go in and present your German license pay the Baht and your goog for five years. I like in Bangkok and have never been stopped for an ID check. A few speeding tickets and a few cash payments for speeding. Love this country :) .

Hello,

You actually will get a one year first. The day after expiry go and reapply and they'll give you a five year

Hello,

Residence letter.

Non-immigrant visa.

Medical certificate.

Foreign DL

IDP

More here: http://driving.information.in.th/