Crackdown On Unlicensed Software Intensified

george

People who are saying go after the sellers are really not thinking the situation through at all.

The desired effect of this crackdown is to stop business using free software, if the police were to only go after the sellers in Thailand, it would have no effect on business using pirate software as everything is available online. As the police would only be going after sellers, business would be free to carry on using pirate software from sources other than Panthip etc...

By going after the end user, it doesn't matter where they bought the software, the possibility of huge fines will scare many business to get licensed software instead of downloading it from a torrent etc....

Edited by madjbs

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the copyright owners do want large corporate customers they can charge through the nose to get licenses for every single machine in the company without even the cost of producing all the discs.

:) Yup, software companies care so much about cost of CDs (about 2 baht for one in mass production). The rest of this comment is equally insightful and well informed :D.

Charged through the nose? Decent software actually costs a ton of money to produce and maintain. What is next on your wishlist? Free electricity? Free beer? For those poor companies who don't want to "pay through the nose", there is Linux (and other open source alternatives in almost every area) -- use them and contribute fixes, so we can all benefit.

I can understand a degree of piracy among individuals and in educational institutions, but sorry, no free lunch for the for-profit entities.

Edited by crocodilexp

The article says that this is being done to protect creativity in Thailand? Wait, I wasn't aware that viable operating system alternatives were being developed here! Or video games. Although, I must say the Thai movie and tv industry seems to be picking up steam. But this piracy issue seems to be entirely one-sided, with regards to computer software. I haven't heard of any movie rental store raids yet.

It would be amazing if this did stimulate an open-source movement. I wonder what will happen if the internet cafes started dumping their Windows clones for Linux. Would the police back off?

Also, I support how the video game industry has reduced prices here in appreciation of the lower average income. MS should do the same. They would make more money by dropping the price and having people buying their product than by having people buy pirated instead, with only the rich being able to afford a legal OS. Does a legal OS in this case then become a status symbol, reserved for the upper class?

Does anyone know, by the way, if the video games here will play on a laptop bought elsewhere? I know there are region codes on DVD movies that prohibit playing of Asia region movies on US region DVD roms, but is there the same on video games?

Since when do junkies get prosecuted instead of the dealers? Yes, I agree if there's a company who has millions of baht in assets, that they should buy licensed stuff only. Why are Software-Products not cheaper in Thailand then in Europe/USA? The Game Industry found that and adjusted accordingly. Most games you buy in Thailand (licensed) are much cheaper then in Europe BECAUSE Thai people just have much much less money, simple like that. Only important English Games cost more. Unfortunately most 'big' company's just don't give a shit about it. Yes. They only push their agenda and the local justice system makes the big profit out of it, even they themselves use STOLEN/PIRATED software. I know of two police station which uses Office 2007 copies and have the black (genuine) star on the lower right tray (from windows genuine). If those cops get a call to hunt down copyright offenders what does that mean? A double standard.

There are people who are bad and there are people who are 'bader'.

EDIT: Typos

I don't know, it just seems to me I've heard of people getting arrested for possession, and in some cases were doled out severe punishments. The jails in America are mostly full of nonviolent offenders where there was nor would ever have been a victim. But in all fairness, dealers do get arrested too, but I'll bet there are more users than dealers in the jail systems, anywhere they have them.

well on the bright side, you do see more and more people in shops like Boomerang, Mangpong or Zest buying original CDs and DVDs and games. Smart of the local distributors to sell them at more realistic prices. This is a movie in the right direction But, as long as some movies are officially released here much later than other countries, they'll still be pirated...

I have a friend that has an internet cafe with 61 computers. All his operating systems are legal, and he's upgrading the OS on all of them, and when you buy in bulk, it's right around or just under 2000 baht I think per computer. Some people do it right, and if a company is large, then I'm sure discounts for large purchases do apply. But these are not being bought from Thailand, but from Microsoft.

With many IT aware people running small internet cafes starting to switch over to Unbuntu, when the schools follow suit to keep up with their kids the country will find that the free OS revolution has taken place and there will be little for the police to do but address real crime.

Perish the thought.

I'm really sorry to ask , but WHAT is "Unbuntu"

Ubuntu is one of the operating systems for Linux. It's just as good if not better than windows.

There's plenty of free software to use instead of Microsoft - they're the ones who are trying to benefit from this - OS and office suites etc etc.....the big names just need to look out - a clampdown won't get money where there is none, but it will drive a lot of companies to select the "free" alternatives.

Seems that not many replies to this post....wonder why?

I don't know why but my other computer wouldn't let me reply to this post... kept on going on about me not having a genuine advantage, whatever that was all about...

I think it means 'they're snooping in on you and have sussed you out!!!'...

Big Brother is watching . . . - - YOU - - ME - - and . . (Wait for it . . . ) * MR. T * ! ! !

nobody will check police stations or immigration offices to see if they all bought their license...

what do they expect, that a thai, averaging 6000 baht salary per month will spend a whole month on windows xp for home use ?

or pay a week salary to buy one movie on dvd ?

big companies should buy licences or change to a free OS, but free = high cost of linux administrators

crazy world where you can buy any illegal program or game or movie in (almost) EVERY shopping mall

and the pantip concept... one floor legal, next one illegal...

what does it have to do with creative thailand ? If they only target farang businesses, than it would be creative way to get the last ones out and move to more civilised countries in that IP matter...

Uhhh, hello they are not ONLY targeting farang businesses. I have seen them raid and shut down Thai business for copyright violations as well.

nobody will check police stations or immigration offices to see if they all bought their license...

what do they expect, that a thai, averaging 6000 baht salary per month will spend a whole month on windows xp for home use ?

or pay a week salary to buy one movie on dvd ?

big companies should buy licences or change to a free OS, but free = high cost of linux administrators

crazy world where you can buy any illegal program or game or movie in (almost) EVERY shopping mall

and the pantip concept... one floor legal, next one illegal...

what does it have to do with creative thailand ? If they only target farang businesses, than it would be creative way to get the last ones out and move to more civilised countries in that IP matter...

Uhhh, hello they are not ONLY targeting farang businesses. I have seen them raid and shut down Thai business for copyright violations as well.

Correct, a Thai friend of mine has a print shop in phuket with not quiiiiite all original software, and got into a bunch of trouble :)

Protecting Microsoft and their monopolistic ways? We live in a world in where intellectual property is shared and stolen and natural property is sold, i.e. water.

Ubuntu is another Linux clone.

As I am a software developer, make, sell software in Thailand, I do hope the piracy crackdowns will include illegal copies of my softwares?

But being a cynical individual, I must protect my own company and intellectual property with encryption.

That doesn't mean I have a full proof protection against piracy, when will anyone ever have?

As I am working with software, I would never use piracy software in my own company, I need updates, upgrades and new technology as soon as it's available.

If you want to use other peoples/companies intellectual properties, buy a license.

If you are complaining about Microsoft, why do they have more than 85% of the desktop OS on the market?

To get cheap copies, try the legal way first, look at Microsoft MSDN and Technet subscriptions.

Even if it's not cheap to buy legal software, not as cheap as a illegal copy, you are stealing from people dedicating their lifes and work to make products for you to benefit from, both in your private life as your professional.

Would anyone go and copy books to sell out in the public?

Is software less important and not worth protecting because of the owner is a big company?

But do know one thing, the software stolen around the world aren't just from Microsoft and other big companies.

Small software companies lives on a fine edge of existence.

Personally, I like Open source software a lot, makes me want to do better all the time.

As I have to meet challenges, so does Microsoft, Oracle and all the others.

I recall a news article some years ago when they first started talking about software raids and two types of organizations were exempt from the copyright law at that time, the government and schools/colleges, universities. Wonder if that still holds?

No, this is not true as they are hitting schools really hard, even fining teachers who have illegal downloads on their thumb drives. An interesting thing to come out of this (all via the grapevine, mind you), is that they are only targeting private schools.

We've been informed about some of the fines and they are hefty.

Time to pay the piper.

I have worked for one international company where just about every piece of software was bogus. I was astonished when I worked there. Interestingly they got me a licensed copy of everything because I was logging into the corporate server. All local business was carried out on computers running all sorts of bogus software.

Are they going after the users because the suppliers/producers are untouchable? Is it the case that the pirated CD's are used to clean illicit funds and so are so entwined in the police that it WAS untouchable?

I feel that the bogus software industry here is so big that it has to go all the way to the top of the police and probably into the political circles. Note the mess that Abhisit got himself into with settling on the recent head police man. Note that this only started to occur after Saxena came back.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Has anyone tried to buy a computer that hasn't got illegal software loaded on it, in Thailand? It is near impossible.

Rubbish ..... unless you're talking about second hand jobs.

I agree with this. Its not rubbish ive seen it on so many occasions and even brand new mobile phones with pirated software installed.

Not to mention my Xbox 360 live which is now console banned because the dam_n shop flashed the firmware to accept their pirated software.

In for a dollar in for a pound. Lets face it, everyone is at it. Your all bloody corrupt, and dont ever deny it because no one will believe you!!

does the crackdown include internet cafe's?

original software isnt cheap, in fact when i started a netcafe i was told (by a family friend, a solicitor) to purchase original windows xp for every computer.. it cost me sooooo much and turned out to be a complete waste of money. After checking with other shop owners and some friends in pantip i was told that i wasted my money.. (enough money to buy an extra 4 PC's) :)

Also when we had our first police check i was talking with one of the IT guys they sent, he told me that i dont need the original windows because when the licensing people come and check it has to be a rep for the company.. so a windows rep...

Edited by mike404045

As of last week I'm dual booting Ubuntu with Windows on my laptop. For an internet cafe there's not much reason not to use it. Browsing the internet, webmail, multi-protocol chat (inc Messenger). That's 99 % of internet Cafe traffic. Then consider that it runs better on older slower machines, which a lot of these cafes have (and those 512MB ram dinosaurs, and less). Crackdowns like this will be a boon for the open source movement, if people are forced to sample the other side they'll find out they can do without Windows.

Clearly you do NOT own an internet cafe.... trust me the above is total nonsense....no offense but I do own some cafes and we would NEVER survive without Windows and all the stuff that people know and love from home. I run Ubuntu on a laptop I have and I consider myself tech aware, but no way would the average customer coming in to any of my shops be happy with having to learn something new to simply put a few songs on their iPod or chat with a program they know.. not a clone that will not allow them all the goofy smileys and crap they are used to.. I agree with you from a tech standpoint it would be awesome but NOT from an end user point of view and that is the one that matters...BTW ALL my software in all my shops are 100% legal... with licenses on site...

What most Nix zealots seems to forget is that some, MANY people don't want to do without Windows.. they like it.. imagine that.. freedom of choice

Has anyone tried to buy a computer that hasn't got illegal software loaded on it, in Thailand? It is near impossible.

Rubbish ..... unless you're talking about second hand jobs.

I agree with this. Its not rubbish ive seen it on so many occasions and even brand new mobile phones with pirated software installed.

Not to mention my Xbox 360 live which is now console banned because the dam_n shop flashed the firmware to accept their pirated software.

In for a dollar in for a pound. Lets face it, everyone is at it. Your all bloody corrupt, and dont ever deny it because no one will believe you!!

I've seen it "many occasions" too. I'm just saying "Rubbish" to the "near impossible" bit. Unless you do all your shopping in the Night Bazaar.

I just bought a new Aspire One at Tuk Com, Pattaya (of all places) last week with original Win XP Home (Disk included with holographic id's, packaging, seals etc etc). I window shopped all floors first and and it seemed to be a pretty common setup .. that is .. original Software. Easily "possible" actually.

So many postings and many various responses.

Don't know if any one you remember this or not but at one time on bbc click then showed a Denial of Service or something similiar anyway it involved high jacked computers in which users had no idea their computer was part of a botnet. Most of you may or may not care what I'm about to say but here goes

1. a Real Windows copy and windows Updates are there for a reason if the most of you are running a illegal copy of windows maybe you do not care if your email, bank accounts, username and passwords are taken and used from you because you have no updates and don't care if your computer gets high jacked without you knowing it.

2. if you don't care about running a pirated windows then just feel free to leave your house door wide open and leave all your credit cards and everything that will allow cyber criminals to steal your identify and use it against you on the table.

3. I would easily say the majority of windows are pirated, running adminstrator and most are just ripe for planting spyware, malware, using for Denial of Service attacks, some of you might say I have a anti virus, spyware scanner, firewall yeah maybe so but running pirated windows without the ability to recieve any updates basically allows for a lot of exploits, flaws to be used against you.

4. Piracy doesn't stop simply because you have a crackdown. Piracy can come about because something disruptive enough to change or challenge a industry comes and certain industries that don't change their old ways of thinking fail to adapt. cases being music industry, hollywood, drug industries, microsoft.

5. For the software programmer you have a case in point, but if the cost of your software doesn't reflect the reality of what the majority of users want to pay for it then don't be surprised when people use your software illegally

Uh, never happened to me, but then again I buy parts into a full computer...never some crappy shops 'package'.

So many postings and many various responses.

Don't know if any one you remember this or not but at one time on bbc click then showed a Denial of Service or something similiar anyway it involved high jacked computers in which users had no idea their computer was part of a botnet. Most of you may or may not care what I'm about to say but here goes

1. a Real Windows copy and windows Updates are there for a reason if the most of you are running a illegal copy of windows maybe you do not care if your email, bank accounts, username and passwords are taken and used from you because you have no updates and don't care if your computer gets high jacked without you knowing it.

2. if you don't care about running a pirated windows then just feel free to leave your house door wide open and leave all your credit cards and everything that will allow cyber criminals to steal your identify and use it against you on the table.

3. I would easily say the majority of windows are pirated, running adminstrator and most are just ripe for planting spyware, malware, using for Denial of Service attacks, some of you might say I have a anti virus, spyware scanner, firewall yeah maybe so but running pirated windows without the ability to recieve any updates basically allows for a lot of exploits, flaws to be used against you.

4. Piracy doesn't stop simply because you have a crackdown. Piracy can come about because something disruptive enough to change or challenge a industry comes and certain industries that don't change their old ways of thinking fail to adapt. cases being music industry, hollywood, drug industries, microsoft.

5. For the software programmer you have a case in point, but if the cost of your software doesn't reflect the reality of what the majority of users want to pay for it then don't be surprised when people use your software illegally

A very valid post and I agree with what you write. But just to get the facts correct, I think even non-genuine Windows copies are allowed to install the critical Windows security updates. At least it was like that before, but they might have changed that. I ran a copied version of Windows XP years ago and then it was like that. But the exact reasons you stated above made me change my ways. The later years I have been all legal (XP, Vista and now Win7) and I advice other people to do the same. You will avoid a lot of potential problems, and no matter how you look at it, in the end piracy is wrong and I think even the pro-piracy guys know that deep down...

WB