Cheap Beer!

charliedavidson

Times are a little tough financially for many of us living in Phuket at present :)

So amongst the many bars promoting 'happy hours' It was refreshing to

find a different 'take' on cheaper drinking.

Justins bar on Viset rd in Rawai are now doing '50 baht' beers all night,

every night.

Certainly makes things a little easier on the pocket.

Good on you Justin.

If times are that tough, then the reaction of most people would be to stay at home and have a couple of beers. People who want cheap beer will do exactly that. Scrambling for which bar offers the cheapest 'happy hour' is ultimately going to fail, as there's more to a successful bar than pricing. Staff, service etc, etc are what most people look for, not haggling over a 5 or 10 baht differential.

If times are that tough, then the reaction of most people would be to stay at home and have a couple of beers. People who want cheap beer will do exactly that. Scrambling for which bar offers the cheapest 'happy hour' is ultimately going to fail, as there's more to a successful bar than pricing. Staff, service etc, etc are what most people look for, not haggling over a 5 or 10 baht differential.

Spot on pal, advice to all bar owners, hire a nice waitress and charge 1Kb a bottle, place will be heaving.

Guess there will be a lot of bars going bankrupt then. Giving away almost free beer is suicide.

Think you'll find that the bars selling cheaper beers are actually the ones with the customers. The suicidal ones are those that continue to raise prices in a recession and wonder why they are empty!

Think you'll find that the bars selling cheaper beers are actually the ones with the customers. The suicidal ones are those that continue to raise prices in a recession and wonder why they are empty!

Spot on.

Cheap beer brings the punters in. They then may order food or, switch to spirits.

Just because a punter goes to a bar for cheap beer, doesn't mean he's hard-up.

Everyone likes a bargain.

saw 30thb drafts at a new spot on Sai Yuan down a little from Don's

Hi

Yes its the one called Kings, never ever a person in there, dont think he will be open for long,,,, but 30 is cheap but i would be happy to pay full price if i have something to "look" at

Hello everyone - am new here but been reading a while.

On the subject of cheap beer I just thought I'd speak up for my local, 'Twenty7' Bar in Kathu. They have local bottled beer at 40 baht at all times (closed on Mondays). Nice relaxing place owned by a couple of Thai girls just before the entrance to Loch Palm. Cheap food too, excellent service and well worth an occasional ride over the hill if you want a break from Patong!

Hi

Yes its the one called Kings, never ever a person in there, dont think he will be open for long,,,, but 30 is cheap but i would be happy to pay full price if i have something to "look" at

agree, place looks completely boring

Spot on.

Cheap beer brings the punters in. They then may order food or, switch to spirits.

Just because a punter goes to a bar for cheap beer, doesn't mean he's hard-up.

Everyone likes a bargain.

Sure, happy hours work everywhere. However, to sustain a business such as a bar, there has to be something more to offer than cheap drink. Yes, if they do food, and it's good value, attractive and edible, then sure, people will stay on. I'm certainly not inferring that because someone goes to a bar that offers cheap drink, that they are hard-up, only commenting that for the long term, discount beer isn't going to be the solution. Good atmosphere, pleasant staff, attentive service etc, is far more likely to endure and attract/retain customers (and I'm not talking about BG's etc).

See your point but try saying that to the Weatherspoon chain in the UK

Yes. Some good articles about it all here http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009...he-weekend.html

Weatherspoons cut the price of a UK pint to 99p in January and their pubs are FULL FULL FULL.

Think about it. We think 60b a bottle is cheap. But 60b is just over a pound. For a bottle of beer which is just over half a pint. So we are paying OVER 2 pounds a pint here in Thailand and we think it's cheap.

It ISNT cheap compared to the UK. If you then factor in that you may work out here and earn less than in the UK, then as a percentage of your income, beer is VERY expensive here.

Frankly, i've never fully understood whilst on one hand we have people bleating that Thai's are so poor, yet you can go into ANY Thai club in Phuket town, it's filled to capacity with Thai people, and the beer over their counters can be 100b. (i.e. 2 quid a half pint, 4 quid a pint - and people, THAT is London prices! )

I guess 60b a bottle can be considered cheap in Thailand though.

What makes a bar popular? It aint just cheap beer, though that clearly helps. It's a combo of the people in there, the staff, the general atmosphere etc. Look at the Green Man as a case in point of how not to do it. That place should be rammed night after night but it is just lacking 'something'.

Hi

hdrider post yes -3132317 kings the "guy" who owns it? [on a tourist visa]??

iS the one who beat three Thai bar staff at the "honey bar " after hours have photos have witnesses so dont edit please .AS

this type of foriegner does not do any of us, any good [ europeans or americans ]

one of those types who thinks he is a "king" Here, sell a few Girls, rent a few motor bikes

no he wont be open long ---- cant spell either RILEY 76