Thai Government Seeking International Help In Capturing Thaksin

webfact

I don't think Interpol can arrest anyone, can they?

Unless there is special jurisdiction, which is rare, it would take a extradition order from the Cambo courts to make him leave, once legally there.

I wonder if he will start sneaking across the boarder through the jungle like the criminals in that boarder areas.

He doesn't have too! His supporters and ordinary Thai's can cross the border and see him in the flesh if he chooses to hold a public forum. Just imagine the faces of those in authority in Thailand when he 'flips them the bird' on a grand scale never seen before anywhere else in the world!

Edited by BSJ

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai government doesn't want Thaksin back in Thailand. What would the government do, place Thaksin under house arrest? No jail could hold him as his mobs would bust him out. The army would have to stop any such mobs. Because Thaksin is a divider Thai society would actively dichotomize into active clashes and chaos.

Abhisit knows he's not getting international cooperation in nabbing Thaksin so Mark can cite interpol, thus shifting the locus to interpol which can't do anything itself, being restricted to coordinating and cooperating with the national authorities who do the arresting. Mark knows the extradition request goes directly to Hun Sen's circular file.

However, Thaksin in Cambodia is no better either. Thaksin next door is but a stone's throw away from further destablizing the Thai government and pressuring to be pardoned with a general amnesty for all of Thaksin's cronies.

Abhisit hasn't any concern about Thaksin returning to Thailand because Thaksin himself doesn't have the gnads to return as Thaksin doesn't have a friendly government in power. The problem to Abhisit, and Thaksin knows this, is Thaksin in Cambodia where he's untouchable, scheming, plotting.

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

Pfui. The only reason he's able to do any damage is because a majority of Thai citizens, and many citizens of other countries, dislike governments being installed by coups d'etat. And before you say Abhisit's government wasn't installed by coup, think about what it means when the Army locks up members of Parliament in a hotel until they agree with the Army commander's "advice." It's just the continuation of September 2006.

and that hostage members and their "boss" still stay with the democrats???

To put it right: When the coalition deal was done with Newin (bad enough) Thaksin and his wife called everyone and offered millions of bribe.

To avoid unpleasant surprised they decided to stay together in a hotel as they did not trust each other.

But they did it on their own will. No hostages no army. Just the usual greedy dirty political games.

Meanwhile PTP tried a couple of times to let the government fall, but your "hostages" always voted for the government even they are not held in hostage anymore.

This is simply a regular government not better or worse than many others worldwide.

Cambodia's recent activities with Thaksin really scaring thai gov......i wonder why..

I don't think it's about being scared. He is doing irrepairable damage to the country so something had to give.

They should have done it a long time ago. Get this matter resolved once and for all so the country can move on.

You must be kidding right? The Thai people elected Thaksin and the "other" political party with the help of the military took over when Thaksin was out of the country. The current government is a sham without the people's support. Thaksin is the rightful democratic leader of Thailand. Thaksin's a good businessman and was good for Thailand. Even if he profited from government contracts ............ any government leadership would do the same thing. All politicians are crooks in ALL Countries. I would rather have a good businessman running the country than the people currently in office.

You're appreciation of the range of taxins activities leaves much to be desired

Pfui. The only reason he's able to do any damage is because a majority of Thai citizens, and many citizens of other countries, dislike governments being installed by coups d'etat. And before you say Abhisit's government wasn't installed by coup, think about what it means when the Army locks up members of Parliament in a hotel until they agree with the Army commander's "advice." It's just the continuation of September 2006.

and that hostage members and their "boss" still stay with the democrats???

To put it right: When the coalition deal was done with Newin (bad enough) Thaksin and his wife called everyone and offered millions of bribe.

To avoid unpleasant surprised they decided to stay together in a hotel as they did not trust each other.

But they did it on their own will. No hostages no army. Just the usual greedy dirty political games.

Meanwhile PTP tried a couple of times to let the government fall, but your "hostages" always voted for the government even they are not held in hostage anymore.

This is simply a regular government not better or worse than many others worldwide.

A legitimate and true government, yes. Abhisit is more legitimately the PM than Thaksin ever was. Is Gordon Brown illegitimate because he succeed to PM without a general election? It's the process that matters, not the personality.

TiT.

Why are the Thais so paranoid over Taksin? He likes to tweak their noses and they react by going into a panic! If they would just move on he would slowly fade away!

If Thais simply move on they'll come home to find Thaksin has moved in. The guy is a monomaniac. Thaksin is obsessive compulsive so he cannot be ignored. Abhisit is handling Thaksin well. The newest development however, Thaksin the Cambodian, does present a serious problem because in Cambodia Thaksin is untouchable by any authority national or supranational.

I find this little chess game with Thaksin very interesting. My line of thinking is that Thaksin has blundered and has backed himself into a corner, very close to home at that. If Interpol does take interest in Thailand's request, then it could make it virtually impossible for TS to travel from the god forsaken place he's chosen just so he can torment his opponents. No more basking in the luxury of places like Dubai. Before such "papers" are issued to Interpol, he must think hard about where he likes the view because it may be a permanent one. Sit back and enjoy the show!

Taksin was illegally removed from office in a military coup while he was attending a conference overseas.

I didn't see any coup leaders being charged!

Also his party won 2 elections after the coup, and then they were thrown out in another coup, and replaced by the Democrats. The current government is totally illegal and has no right asking interpol to catch anyone.

Taksin is up to something. I fear the worst for this country if he is arrested!

again...where did i put that long range sniper rifle?

I really don't know which person I should respond to so I picked you because you must have fascist blood in you somewhere.

As this forum goes I'm just a newbie and figure my opinion doesn't mean squat to most of you. I get from your responses that a lot of you are liberal Europeans. I've only been here for a few years, but I remember when Taksin asked the King if he should step down. The King told him no. I remember when the legally elected Prime Minister left his country to attend to State business outside of the country and a bunch of military leaders that were trying to cover for their dirty friends took over the country by military coup. I remember that they tried him in abstentia, which means that he didn't have a chance in h3!! of defending himself. I remember that the opposing party lost the second election too. But their rioting and protests caused the government that was in power (Taksin's government) to step down for the good of Thailand.

I have to admit I'm a naïve American. I believe that the majority rules. (Or I would be out hunting for a Presidential pretender!!) Why is it that many of you think it's alright for the losers of the election to take this country by force, but that the head of the duly elected government should be shot, arrested, or incarcerated?

I know this sounds like a rant for Taksin, and I do believe he is good for the country, ( I know stupid American Yah dah, Yah dah, Yah dah,) but beyond that you talk about second world countries, like they're a bad thing. If this is so, and you choose to live in one, then shouldn't we be encouraging democracy (the majority rules), rather than who owns the media wins? I know your going to roast me, but that's okay it's been done by experts.

Hello fellow American Stevemck,

I remember Thailand before Thaksin was PM, while Thaksin was PM and after Thaksin had been PM.

I also remember the United States before George W. Bush was president (in a clear steal), while GWB was president and after GWB was president.

I'll take both Abhisit and Obama, thank you.

Taksin was illegally removed from office in a military coup while he was attending a conference overseas.

I didn't see any coup leaders being charged!

Also his party won 2 elections after the coup, and then they were thrown out in another coup, and replaced by the Democrats. The current government is totally illegal and has no right asking interpol to catch anyone.

Taksin is up to something. I fear the worst for this country if he is arrested!

At this time Thaksin was removed he was illegal in office. The Parliament was not filled like required by the constitution and his caretaker periode was expired. (not to mention that the election was illegal and the Election Commission went into jail for that).

The coup leaders charged for what? A coup is only illegal if not successful (almost all governments worldwide came in power by some coups in the past).

Which were the 2 elections they won after the coup? At one of elections they got the most seats, but got dissolved because of vote buying.

When was the second coup?? I missed this coup. That parties split and make different coalitions happens all the time somewhere. Newin did not really look like someone with a gun pointed at him (he+abhisit looked almost like two gay boyfriends).

So which second coup?????

What is illegal on the government??

I find this little chess game with Thaksin very interesting. My line of thinking is that Thaksin has blundered and has backed himself into a corner, very close to home at that. If Interpol does take interest in Thailand's request, then it could make it virtually impossible for TS to travel from the god forsaken place he's chosen just so he can torment his opponents. No more basking in the luxury of places like Dubai. Before such "papers" are issued to Interpol, he must think hard about where he likes the view because it may be a permanent one. Sit back and enjoy the show!

I don't think it's a blunder. It's part of his masterplan!

As a generalization, but not off topic, if a political leader was to offer a "soft" loan (ie who cares when you repay it) to a neighbouring near-bankrupt country, for the express purposes of buying goods and services from a company owned by afore-mentioned leader, would you not consider that corruption? Should said leader not deserve to be removed from office, especially if other cases of corruption and tax avoidance were obvious and in process?

May it be that Thailand owes Thaksin a lot of money?

Just asking.

Was due justice done?

Back then in September 2006 was there an alternative?

He had to go.

A coup back then seemed justified.

Still, in retrospect it looks like a major mistake.

Thaksin's just asking for what is his, isn't it. And if it means to embarrass the Thai govt, so be it. He runs circles around them.

Surely you jest! Thaksin is on a road to nowhere. And he's almost arrived.

I remember the election in December 2007, where the PPP were the largest single minority-party and eventually formed a government, but when was the second election after the coup, to which you refer ?

Secondly, the current government is widely-recognised by other countries, and has every right to ask Interpol to recapture a convicted-criminal, who is in self-exile to avoid a prison-sentence which was awarded while his own brother-in-law was PM.

Lastly doesn't Thaksin deserve his day in court, to face the several other cases currently underway, in the interests of justice which he himself still claims to believe in ? :)

Edit to correct year of election from 2008 to 2007 ... Sorry !

Edited by Ricardo

Thaksin's UK visa was cancelled when he was out of the country.It seemed a slightly mysterious decision at the time since the charge he had been found guilty of in the Thai courts was a trivial one (don't bother commenting on this please!).However over time the rationale of the UK has become clear.Thailand is an important country for the UK partly because of the huge tourist flows, but there also other longstanding interests including trade.Basically the UK and Thailand are good friends.

It appeared that Thailand was about to launch extradition proceedings and at a political level this was something the UK wanted to avoid.The problem would have been a court battle in the UK which would have seen Thaksin's expensive and super efficient lawyers demolish the Thai case which for all but the incurably naive was primarily politically motivated.This is something the Foreign Office wanted to avoid and since there is nobody more ruthless and unsentimental than the British in defending their national interests a fast one was sprung on Thaksin when he was outside the UK.It didn't help Thaksin's cause that as a type he didn't impress the Brit ruling class at all (actually for the same reasons he doesn't impress the Bangkok elite that much, namely because he is a pushy and vulgar Jek not to say illiberal outsider.) He could never ring the bells Abhisit can or for that matter another saintly Oxonian, Aung San Suu Kyi.

Anyway the point here is that the same problem with extradition remains.There ain't much of a case especially if it can be demonstrated -which it can-the proceedings are politically motivated.In the case of Thailand and Cambodia, it doesn't help that the FM leading the charge is seen by the international community as someone supporting terrorism.And of course in the instance of Kasit he has a record of racist abuse towards the Cambodians.Sure doesn"t help but for those who have visions of Interpol bringing Thaksin back to Bangkok in chains, dream on guys.

His case may have been political motivation, but most of his crimes are real enough, except for the "incurably naive" as you say - but your post is on target well enough. Good one:)

I remember the election in December 2008, where the PPP were the largest single minority-party and eventually formed a government, but when was the second election after the coup, to which you refer ?

Secondly, the current government is widely-recognised by other countries, and has every right to ask Interpol to recapture a convicted-criminal, who is in self-exile to avoid a prison-sentence which was awarded while his own brother-in-law was PM.

Lastly doesn't Thaksin deserve his day in court, to face the several other cases currently underway, in the interests of justice which he himself still claims to believe in ? :)

Well put. Some one with sense for once.

As a generalization, but not off topic, if a political leader was to offer a "soft" loan (ie who cares when you repay it) to a neighbouring near-bankrupt country, for the express purposes of buying goods and services from a company owned by afore-mentioned leader, would you not consider that corruption? Should said leader not deserve to be removed from office, especially if other cases of corruption and tax avoidance were obvious and in process?

Yes ....... what you said.

Surely you jest! Thaksin is on a road to nowhere. And he's almost arrived.

...calling Mr Has-Bean

again...where did i put that long range sniper rifle?

I really don't know which person I should respond to so I picked you because you must have fascist blood in you somewhere.

As this forum goes I'm just a newbie and figure my opinion doesn't mean squat to most of you. I get from your responses that a lot of you are liberal Europeans. I've only been here for a few years, but I remember when Taksin asked the King if he should step down. The King told him no. I remember when the legally elected Prime Minister left his country to attend to State business outside of the country and a bunch of military leaders that were trying to cover for their dirty friends took over the country by military coup. I remember that they tried him in abstentia, which means that he didn't have a chance in h3!! of defending himself. I remember that the opposing party lost the second election too. But their rioting and protests caused the government that was in power (Taksin's government) to step down for the good of Thailand.

I have to admit I'm a naïve American. I believe that the majority rules. (Or I would be out hunting for a Presidential pretender!!) Why is it that many of you think it's alright for the losers of the election to take this country by force, but that the head of the duly elected government should be shot, arrested, or incarcerated?

I know this sounds like a rant for Taksin, and I do believe he is good for the country, ( I know stupid American Yah dah, Yah dah, Yah dah,) but beyond that you talk about second world countries, like they're a bad thing. If this is so, and you choose to live in one, then shouldn't we be encouraging democracy (the majority rules), rather than who owns the media wins? I know your going to roast me, but that's okay it's been done by experts.

Hello fellow American Stevemck,

I remember Thailand before Thaksin was PM, while Thaksin was PM and after Thaksin had been PM.

I also remember the United States before George W. Bush was president (in a clear steal), while GWB was president and after GWB was president.

I'll take both Abhisit and Obama, thank you.

Yeah and for a man back then, with as much money and influence as Taksin had, that equates to "bulletproof" in Thai society, maybe not quite so much today I admit, as things have changed a bit, but "the gas" must have been extremely smelly for a man like that to be ostracized by his fellow HiSo freinds. Think about it a minute. And as for GWB - well al I'll say, is if you shined a torch in one ear, it would shine right on out the other - it was his "advisers" who were dangerous and not good for the US etc. ad nausium.

I've only been here for a few years, but I remember when Taksin asked the King if he should step down. The King told him no. I remember when the legally elected Prime Minister left his country to attend to State business outside of the country and a bunch of military leaders that were trying to cover for their dirty friends took over the country by military coup. I remember that they tried him in abstentia, which means that he didn't have a chance in h3!! of defending himself. I remember that the opposing party lost the second election too. But their rioting and protests caused the government that was in power (Taksin's government) to step down for the good of Thailand.

1. While I agree that the September 2006 coup was illegal, I should point out that Thaksin was an appointed caretaker-PM when deposed, not "legally elected" as you recall.

2. Thaksin was in court for much of the trial you refer to, he therefore had every chance to defend himself, he left the country to see the Olympics and then decided not to return, so his absence when sentence was passed was his own choice.

3. There was an election in December 2007, won by the PPP, when was the second election to which you refer ?

4. Protests in the autumn of 2008 did not cause the PPP government (led by PM Somchai, not Thaksin) to step down. The courts dissolved their party, the Democrats then formed a new coalition, which became the current government.

Just to assist your memory. :)