Just Been Denied Duty Free Import Of Personal Household Effects

No one else has asked, so I guess I will. Why, if the OP has a one year work permit, does he not have a one year extension to stay based on it? That seems to me to be the key, as he admits to only having a 90 day stamp and to having left to get another one after the work permit was issued. In my experience, if you have the one year extension to stay with a re-entry permit, you can come and go before the shipment arrives and still get the duty exemption. It sounds to me like he has a 90 day work permit and he must leave and return every 90 days and get the work permit renewed so he doesn't actually qualify for the duty free shipment.

TH

TH, as I clearly stated, I have a 1 year work permit. I have not yet applied for an annual extension of stay based on business. I will do this in the last quarter before my 1 year non-B visa expires.

On another issue, which I would suggest is quite important, the customs website says NOTHING about being required to have an annual/1 year extension of stay in order to qualify for duty free import. The Website clearly states that the requirement is a "one-year non-immigrant visa", which I have.

"Nonresidents may import the used/secondhand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free if such household effects accompanied them in the change of residence and they are qualified under the requirements listed below:

• Nonresidents resuming residents in Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in a passport or a Nonresident Identification Card; or
  • Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand will be regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department.

It also goes on to state that:

In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:

(2.1) The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or

(2.2) The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

When they say "1 year non-immigrant visa", do they in fact mean 1 year/annual extension of stay? THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING and this is very confusing. Still, pertaining to (2.1) above, I have not been granted "annual temporary stay in Thailand" but as under (2.2), the issuing of the work permit qualifies me.

Customs (or my agent) are implying that if, before "changing residency" to Thailand, you make any first visit to Thailand and then leave, you no longer qualify for one-time duty free import of your personal effects. i.e. You make your first exploratory visit to Thailand to see if you like it, can find employment and think you can integrate. After deliberation, you come back and enter Thailand for a second time to follow up your offer of employment, then you no longer qualify for duty free import.

I remind you again of customs reason for denial:

Custom can give this approval once you enter Thailand first time, and for second time they treat any cargos as similar as regular.

I refuse to believe that I am being told the correct position.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe the immigration site is using the wrong word as immigration does not issue a one year non immigrant visa - the meaning would be one year extension of stay (which is what Immigration does issue).

Edit mistype of visa information.

Customs (or my agent) are implying that if, before "changing residency" to Thailand, you make any first visit to Thailand and then leave, you no longer qualify for one-time duty free import of your personal effects. i.e. You make your first exploratory visit to Thailand to see if you like it, can find employment and think you can integrate. After deliberation, you come back and enter Thailand for a second time to follow up your offer of employment, then you no longer qualify for duty free import.

I remind you again of customs reason for denial:

Custom can give this approval once you enter Thailand first time, and for second time they treat any cargos as similar as regular.

I refuse to believe that I am being told the correct position.

I don't want to make any accusations against another agent, but I would be very suspicious of this. Again, I have done countless shipments and presented original passports to customs agents for both Thai citizens and foreigners with multiple entries. The only restriction is that only one duty free exemption is granted, for additional exemptions you will have to have been out of the country for at least one year. I have never heard of a blanket 20-30% tax on all items. I wouldn't put anything past customs because they have been known to make the rules up as they go, but I would make sure that this is genuinely coming from the customs department. If it is, then it should be negotiable, and again I can't imagine an under the table payment would exceed a few thousand baht.

UPDATE: UPDATE: UPDATE:

Customs are apparently telling my agent that, to qualify for duty free import, I need to have a work permit valid for MORE than one year. A 1 year work permit is not good enough.

Customs' guidelines (English version) state the requirement of... a work permit for "at least" one year.

I read "at least" being "minimum".

Is there any chance of the Thai language regulations having been ambiguously translated? I feel like my forum signature is totally justified.

least

–adjective,

1. smallest in size, amount, degree, etc..

—Idioms

6. at least, - at the lowest estimate or figure

Customs are apparently telling my agent that, to qualify for duty free import, I need to have a work permit valid for MORE than one year. A 1 year work permit is not good enough.

Customs' guidelines (English version) state the requirement of... a work permit for "at least" one year.

Is there any chance of the Thai language regulations having been ambiguously translated? I feel like my forum signature is totally justified.

least

–adjective,

—Idioms

Sorry to tell you, but work permit are issued for only 1 year max. and actually they only started issuing 1 year work permits about 1 year ago, before that they were only 90 days. So as far as Im aware it is impossible to get longer than 1 year work permit. It is possible to get a 3 year Non-imm B visa, however this strictly prohibits work. What I believe is your shipping company is trying to make money, I don't want to accuse them of this, but this is what is it appears to be happening. I would get all the documents myself and go to customs with a Thai friend to speak to them, if they really want a fee this high, then negotiate with them. Thai's are almost always ready to negotiate and in most cases expect it. I think if you tell you shipping company you want all the documents that you are going to customs yourself to resolve this things will change.

I had some equipment shipped in and the shipping company was telling me the import duty price which was really high something like 120% of the cost of the equipment. I was expecting 30-40%, when I told them I wanted the paper I would talk to customs myself they called me back and said they sent one of their people to go and try and work something out and the import duty came down to 50%, which I still expected was a little high, but much more acceptable. Granted this was not personal stuff, this was new equipment so I Know I had to pay import duty, it was just the amount quoted to me by the shipping company was crazy. Give them a call and tell them you will handle it yourself, you have nothing to lose doing this way.

Good luck...sorry you are having so much problems getting settled in Thailand, but that's part of the fun you never know what is going to happen!!!

Hire a local freight forwarding to arrange importation of your stuff. They pay 'tax' as well, but they have established relationships with Customs and will get a much better rate than you will.

The shipment is being handled door-to-door by the one "reputable?" - I thought - shipping company, on the advice of many seasoned TV members.

This advice was based on TV members getting a better deal, through customs, by the shipping Co.. Rather than try to do it themselves.

least

–adjective,

—Idioms

Sorry to tell you, but work permit are issued for only 1 year max. and actually they only started issuing 1 year work permits about 1 year ago, before that they were only 90 days. So as far as Im aware it is impossible to get longer than 1 year work permit. It is possible to get a 3 year Non-imm B visa, however this strictly prohibits work. What I believe is your shipping company is trying to make money, I don't want to accuse them of this, but this is what is it appears to be happening. I would get all the documents myself and go to customs with a Thai friend to speak to them, if they really want a fee this high, then negotiate with them. Thai's are almost always ready to negotiate and in most cases expect it. I think if you tell you shipping company you want all the documents that you are going to customs yourself to resolve this things will change.

I had some equipment shipped in and the shipping company was telling me the import duty price which was really high something like 120% of the cost of the equipment. I was expecting 30-40%, when I told them I wanted the paper I would talk to customs myself they called me back and said they sent one of their people to go and try and work something out and the import duty came down to 50%, which I still expected was a little high, but much more acceptable. Granted this was not personal stuff, this was new equipment so I Know I had to pay import duty, it was just the amount quoted to me by the shipping company was crazy. Give them a call and tell them you will handle it yourself, you have nothing to lose doing this way.

Good luck...sorry you are having so much problems getting settled in Thailand, but that's part of the fun you never know what is going to happen!!!

Ericthai, thanks for your best wishes. Yes, it certainly feels like someone is trying to shaft me. So far they have only been able to come up with 2 reasons to charge me import duty:

1. For having the audacity to enter Thailand, once, before I wanted to import my personal effects...

2. For not being in possession of a work permit valid for more than 1 year.

I intend to keep my wits about me and not let this thing go. If Thais "anecdotally" prefer to avoid confrontation, then they steering the wrong course here. I will put all my efforts into resolving this without confrontation but how do you get a resolution from a bunch of crooks without a face-off?

The agent has actually given me a copy of the customs paperwork, calculating duty, which I posted up earlier in this thread. Take a look and tell me if you think it's genuine.

I have a Thai mate who is a lawyer, I'll get him involved in the morning and with his resources we'll get to the bottom of things - I hope :) .

Hire a local freight forwarding to arrange importation of your stuff. They pay 'tax' as well, but they have established relationships with Customs and will get a much better rate than you will.

The shipment is being handled door-to-door by the one "reputable?" - I thought - shipping company, on the advice of many seasoned TV members.

This advice was based on TV members getting a better deal, through customs, by the shipping Co.. Rather than try to do it themselves.

least

–adjective,

—Idioms

Ericthai, thanks for your best wishes. Yes, it certainly feels like someone is trying to shaft me. So far they have only been able to come up with 2 reasons to charge me import duty:

1. For having the audacity to enter Thailand, once, before I wanted to import my personal effects...

2. For not being in possession of a work permit valid for more than 1 year.

I intend to keep my wits about me and not let this thing go. If Thais "anecdotally" prefer to avoid confrontation, then they steering the wrong course here. I will put all my efforts into resolving this without confrontation but how do you get a resolution from a bunch of crooks without a face-off?

The agent has actually given me a copy of the customs paperwork, calculating duty, which I posted up earlier in this thread. Take a look and tell me if you think it's genuine.

I have a Thai mate who is a lawyer, I'll get him involved in the morning and with his resources we'll get to the bottom of things - I hope :) .

There you go!! I believe that's your best bet, get your lawyer friend to help you. I looked at the docs, hard to say that nobody edited them. Keep in mind things are tuff all over with the current economics so even a company that was doing good in the past may be struggling at this time and sad to say it seems to be the thai's way of thinking that if less business charge more to the customer they have. Dosnt make sense but you see it all over Thailand at this time. I have been living in Thailand for over 10yrs and prior to that worked here for 5yrs. I would sometimes bring equipment with me when entering thailand, I would never try to sneak it in and go to the "something to declare" line, most of the time they didnt care just bring it in, half the time they had no idea what the stuff was. Like I said in my past post I mentioned one example of importing equipment, however I have had stuff shipped in many times. sometimes no problems, sometimes I have a problem, a quick trip to customs with a thai friend and

thing were always negotiated. I'm sure your Thai lawyer friend will prove to be a big help.. Please let us know how everything works out. Good luck Pal.

Sorry to tell you, but work permit are issued for only 1 year max. and actually they only started issuing 1 year work permits about 1 year ago, before that they were only 90 days. So as far as Im aware it is impossible to get longer than 1 year work permit.

Actually, 1 year WP's have been around for many years, and since beginning of this year WP's longer than 1 year can be issued if you work for large company.

You will only know for sure whether the documents are genuine or not by visiting Customs. As said, not difficult to alter if someone wanted to.

Sorry to tell you, but work permit are issued for only 1 year max. and actually they only started issuing 1 year work permits about 1 year ago, before that they were only 90 days. So as far as Im aware it is impossible to get longer than 1 year work permit.

Actually, 1 year WP's have been around for many years, and since beginning of this year WP's longer than 1 year can be issued if you work for large company.

But, relating to qualification for duty free import of pers. effects, have Thai Customs published anywhere, the requirement to be in possession of a work permit valid for MORE THAN 1 year? On their website they state "at least" 1 year. Customs (or my agent) are telling me that a 1 year WP isn't good enough!

Edit: Blank lines deleted - thaiphoon

Edited by thaiphoon

The text on the Customs website is clearly wrong as immigration do not issue one year Non-Imm visas. But put that to one side. What then follows on the website is options if you don't already hold a one year Non-Imm visa. But you do, so prima facie this section is not applicable to you. So I think needing to show WP is a red herring. I only showed my 1 year Non-B visa when my possessions arrived, albeit a few years back.

The rules, or interpretation thereof, may of course have changed. The only way you are going to bottom this out is by talking to Customs directly. I would cut the agent out of discussions going forwards as any 'deal' would otherwise clearly include a 'fee' for them as well. Good luck.

The text on the Customs website is clearly wrong as immigration do not issue one year Non-Imm visas. But put that to one side. What then follows on the website is options if you don't already hold a one year Non-Imm visa. But you do, so prima facie this section is not applicable to you. So I think needing to show WP is a red herring. I only showed my 1 year Non-B visa when my possessions arrived, albeit a few years back.

The rules, or interpretation thereof, may of course have changed. The only way you are going to bottom this out is by talking to Customs directly. I would cut the agent out of discussions going forwards as any 'deal' would otherwise clearly include a 'fee' for them as well. Good luck.

Lopburi's interpretation, re the error on the website, is that where they say you need a "1 year non-imm visa" they intended to say you need a "1 year extension of stay". If you have not yet been granted a 1 year extension of stay then a work permit valid for "at least" one year is also acceptable.

The agent has been told if they can't sort it in the morning, then my lawyer will be getting involved directly with customs by lunchtime.

Should be interesting :) .

Thanks for your input BTW.

But, relating to qualification for duty free import of pers. effects, have Thai Customs published anywhere, the requirement to be in possession of a work permit valid for MORE THAN 1 year? On their website they state "at least" 1 year. Customs (or my agent) are telling me that a 1 year WP isn't good enough!

Again, I don't want to speculate on anybody else's motives or intentions, but this is a serious red flag. I have never had to present anything other than the standard 1 year work permit nor have I ever heard of anything but the standard work permit. I think the best thing to do is have your friend try to help in dealing with them. Remember not to lose your cool or make any wild accusations, it can only make things worse. Me and some other people at my company are very curious to see how this turns out, updates appreciated.

Also, looking at the documents the agent sent you, I am very confused. The weight of your shipment is 11,000 kg???? This must be a typo, or there's something wrong with my eyes.

Reason for edit: forgot note about work permit.

Edited by thaiphoon

http://www.worldmoving.co.nz/downloads/tha...rmation2005.pdf

I would highly recommend anyone planning import to read this PDF as it does appear to cover things not discussed in other sites. I expect the date is 2005 but seems to present more information that elsewhere so still worth reading (and it may have been updated - did not check).

http://www.worldmoving.co.nz/downloads/tha...rmation2005.pdf

I would highly recommend anyone planning import to read this PDF as it does appear to cover things not discussed in other sites. I expect the date is 2005 but seems to present more information that elsewhere so still worth reading (and it may have been updated - did not check).

Interesting as this refers to the need for a one year VISA issued in Thailand not one from abroad.

I think that after getting the 1 year work permit if you had just gone to immigration and got the 1 year extension of your current 90 day permission to stay stamp based on the work permit as is standard procedure, none of this would have happened. I can think of no practical reason for not doing that.

Note, 1 year work permits have been around for long time. There is a person in our office that has been getting them for some 17 consective years now.

TH

My experience:

I sent the wife back to Thailand and shipped our belongings while I remained in the West. So had no resident status in Thailand at all. When our stuff arrived the customs threatened to unload everything on the dockside and leave it there unless we paid huge extra 'fees'. The wife by-passed the shipping agent who gave us this ultimatum and went to the custom's office directly. A few baht in an envelope solved everything immediately and our junk was on the next truck out of the docks.

This Is Thailand. It's the way it works, so need to huff and puff about rules and regulations, just get down to the immigration office yourself and you'll be surprised how "smoothly" your problems can be solved with smiles all round.

If you think that 'on principal' you will stand up for your rights then sadly your stay in Thailand may turn out to be a rocky road indeed.

UPDATE: ...on my rocky road in Thailand :) .

I've just had a good session with my lawyer buddy and we pulled up the Thai & English versions of the Customs website and identified/confirmed the confusing anomaly.

(2) Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand are regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:

(2.1) The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or

(2.2) The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year.

Where the English version talks about "one-year non-immigrant visa...",

the Thai version clearly refers to the "1 year extension of/temporary stay".

As lopburi points out, the site should also say " provided they have a 1 year extension of stay (not 1 year non-immigrant visa) issued by the Immigration Department", as it is only the immigration dept. in Thailand that can issue a one year extension of stay.

Also, lower down the Customs web page under "Documents" heading, the third bullet in Thai reads "Nonresidents are required to submit ONE OF the following documents:"

And point # 2) correctly identifies one of those documents to be: (in English AND Thai) " A one-year (or more) work permit issued by the Department of Labor;" BINGO! One year or more.

I have just spoken to a very nice lady at the Thai Customs Call Centre who spoke very good English indeed. I explained precisely my circumstances surrounding my import and, after consideration, her team are of the opinion that I FULLY QUALIFY for the duty free import. They say...

• Work permit valid for 1 year is OK.

• Having left and re-entered Thailand while waiting for shipment to arrive is OK.

• Having visited Thailand before importing personal effects is OK.

She even suggested that my shippers may call her if they liked.

As for handing over an envelope full of cash to a stranger, purely to satisfy their extorting greed... it may be a satisfactory course of action for some here, but as far I'm concerned...

They can stick it up their arrrrrse!

Let the games begin. I've given my shipper's one last chance to sort it before I have to haul my ass up to Bangers tomorrow to do their job for them. Maybe I'll send them an invoice for my time and work. I'll report back and update of course :D .

Hello Marvo, and once again, WELCOME TO THAILAND! :)

I thought I'd add my 2 cents... I recently moved here. I had bought an electric piano ages ago in my former place of residence, and when it shipped here, I received a notice saying I had to pay 6000 B in duties! When I visited the post office to see what was up, they informed me that the value was 20,000B and that that price was the cost of duties.

They even charged me for the stand, which came FREE with the piano. And overall, because it was an old model, I had paid only about 5000 B for it! Ridiculous!

They sent back the piano to "renegotiate" the cost. In the end I still paid 1500 B for a personal, old item!

Many thanks to everyone on this interesting topic. It will be seen that this is my first posting and at 63yrs of age maybe my mental faculties are failing me (in fact I'm sure they are!!).

Can anyone please advise me? I am returning to Thailand in late January 2010 with my Thai wife of two years - I have visited Thailand half a dozen times for brief holidays and the last occasion being for 14 months following retirement. We have been holidaying in the UK since September 2009. I will be returning on a non-immigrant 'O' multiple entry visa. It is my intention to buy a house in Thailand and remain there, but as I cannot afford a house and the fees for a retirement visa then I understand I will have to return to UK every 15 months for another non-immigrant 'O' visa.

When we return in January 2010 I was intending to have my personal items shipped out about the time we leave the UK. There should be about 5 cubic metres of boxes which contain books, clothing, model railway items, computer peripherals, photographs and a cheap set of 20yrs old golf clubs.

My questions are:

(1) should I ship the items in my wife's name?

(2) do my above circumstances, if only on paper, indicate that I would not be eligible to pay any form of import duties?

(3) does it seem likely that I will be 'scammed' by requests to pay duty.

(4) if (3) applies then will I be better off seeking legal advice in Thailand when that problem arises or simply visiting the Customs office in Bangkok and taking it from there?

Any information/help will be greatly appreciated as I'm getting too old to be faced with beaurocratic hassle and confrontation. If the Thai law says I have to pay then so be it.

Many thanks to all on this site.

As for handing over an envelope full of cash to a stranger, purely to satisfy their extorting greed... it may be a satisfactory course of action for some here, but as far I'm concerned...

Let the games begin. I've given my shipper's one last chance to sort it before I have to haul my ass up to Bangers tomorrow to do their job for them. Maybe I'll send them an invoice for my time and work. I'll report back and update of course :) .

Now just so we get this straight, you're going to absolutely refuse to let any cash change hands and if it comes up you are going to actually tell them to "stick it up their arrrrrse!" And also, if your shipping company doesn't get it done the way you like, you are going to invoice them? And, you are going to honestly tell us about the exchange on all sides?

Many thanks to everyone on this interesting topic. It will be seen that this is my first posting and at 63yrs of age maybe my mental faculties are failing me (in fact I'm sure they are!!).

Can anyone please advise me? I am returning to Thailand in late January 2010 with my Thai wife of two years - I have visited Thailand half a dozen times for brief holidays and the last occasion being for 14 months following retirement. We have been holidaying in the UK since September 2009. I will be returning on a non-immigrant 'O' multiple entry visa. It is my intention to buy a house in Thailand and remain there, but as I cannot afford a house and the fees for a retirement visa then I understand I will have to return to UK every 15 months for another non-immigrant 'O' visa.

When we return in January 2010 I was intending to have my personal items shipped out about the time we leave the UK. There should be about 5 cubic metres of boxes which contain books, clothing, model railway items, computer peripherals, photographs and a cheap set of 20yrs old golf clubs.

My questions are:

(2) do my above circumstances, if only on paper, indicate that I would not be eligible to pay any form of import duties?

(4) if (3) applies then will I be better off seeking legal advice in Thailand when that problem arises or simply visiting the Customs office in Bangkok and taking it from there?

Any information/help will be greatly appreciated as I'm getting too old to be faced with beaurocratic hassle and confrontation. If the Thai law says I have to pay then so be it.

Hire a reputable agent, such as Asian Tigers/KC Dat, to do the move. Put it in your wife's name as she is eligible for a duty free import as a returning Thai national. Non-Imm "O" are not eligible for duty free import.

Despite the stories here, from personal experience, both on a Non-imm "B" and my wife as returning Thai national, we have not had any problems. If you read the thread carefully, you can see that the problems are due to people not either getting a good agent or ignorance of the rules and procedures.

TH

My questions are:

Hire a reputable agent, such as Asian Tigers/KC Dat, to do the move. Put it in your wife's name as she is eligible for a duty free import as a returning Thai national. Non-Imm "O" are not eligible for duty free import.

Despite the stories here, from personal experience, both on a Non-imm "B" and my wife as returning Thai national, we have not had any problems. If you read the thread carefully, you can see that the problems are due to people not either getting a good agent or ignorance of the rules and procedures.

TH

Thai national can import tax and duty free as long as they have lived where the shipment originates for at least 12 months and have not made frequent returns to Thailand during that period.

Let the games begin. I've given my shipper's one last chance to sort it before I have to haul my ass up to Bangers tomorrow to do their job for them. Maybe I'll send them an invoice for my time and work. I'll report back and update of course :) .

Now just so we get this straight, you're going to absolutely refuse to let any cash change hands and if it comes up you are going to actually tell them to "stick it up their arrrrrse!" And also, if your shipping company doesn't get it done the way you like, you are going to invoice them? And, you are going to honestly tell us about the exchange on all sides?

C'mon phetaroi, give me some slack, I'm posting here in anonymous cyber space. Where else can I posture and imagine myself to be the macho guy (who I'm not) who won't let anyone push him around? My aim on this thread is to provide any useful information to anyone out there who may benefit in some small way from my experiences. Sorry if I let my fantasies carry me away but it's still going to take a crow-bar to prize an envelope of cash out of me :D .

I guess by the time all my belongings are unpacked for inpection and are strewn around the port and the said crow-bar is being used to prize apart all my valuables, a capitulation will be in sight.

C'mon phetaroi, give me some slack, I'm posting here in anonymous cyber space. Where else can I posture and imagine myself to be the macho guy (who I'm not) who won't let anyone push him around? My aim on this thread is to provide any useful information to anyone out there who may benefit in some small way from my experiences. Sorry if I let my fantasies carry me away but it's still going to take a crow-bar to prize an envelope of cash out of me :D .

I guess by the time all my belongings are unpacked for inpection and are strewn around the port and the said crow-bar is being used to prize apart all my valuables, a capitulation will be in sight.

LOL...okay, cool...now I can truly wish you the best of luck on this!

I was surprised to learn recently that Customs is regarded as the most corrupt of all the government agencies, with that in mind I would not be surprised at any line they come up with.

That was reported in the Thai press not so long ago. The Police Force came in a close second.

maybe my mental faculties are failing me (in fact I'm sure they are!!).

Because you mind is going, I will help you out. HAVE a jumble sale in the UK. You can buy new clubs in LOS. New compurters too, just put all the info on disks. Your photos could be brought in one suitcase. How many boxes of clothes have hung in the closet without being worn for years? sell them or give them to a thrift store. The books and model train stuff, 2 or 3 boxes!? sell or give the other 47 boxes away!!!

[maybe the local school could import the books as 'gift'? add to their library]