Ais 12call Gprs

LivinLOS

I am trying to work out the best way to do this.. I have AIS prepaid 12Call.

I need to have GPRS / EDGE for the next 5 - 7 days.. Not a lot of it tho..

Whats the cost for a 7 day pass ?? Does such a thing exist ??

If I dont go that route its 1 baht a minute yeah ?? 60 baht an hour ?? For EDGE as well as GPRS ??

If I want a 7 day unlimited, how do I get that activated ?? Call the operator or is there a code ?? I have never tried to pre pay mobile internet, the phone is set up and seems to work for net access but I usually have home connections or wifi.

EDGE 30 hours is 119 Baht. unlimited data-volume, but usually VERY slow and disconnecting from time to time.

I have that package as an "emergency" if my TRUE connection dies down at my home, or if I am travelling and no WiFi in sight. there are other packages available, 100 hrs or so, but I am not familiar with the details as the packages and rates change every now and then.

why don't you check the AIS website and contact the callcenter. their callcenter is quite good and helpful, and the staff speaks a decent English

Dial *138

1 for English

2 for mobile net

2 for 30 day package (or alternatively 1 for monthly packages, see below)

1 for new package

press

1 for 1 hour

2 for 2 hours

3 for 5 hours (60 Baht)

This is for a 1 time package, when your hours are finished you simply do the same and get more hours.

To check how many hours you have left dial *139#

Do this often as when the hours are finished, they seamlessly switch over to deducting 1 Baht/minute!

You can also choose monthly packages (press 1 for monthly package instead of 2 for 30 day package), where 6 hours is 50 Baht, 20 hours is 100 Baht and 50 hours is 200 Baht.

The latter is better value, but if you forget to cancel they will renew your package every month automatically!

Oh, and to all prices you have to add 7% vat, so 100 Baht is actually 107 Baht!

• 8 months later...

If you want unlimited internet, its 650 baht plus vat for the month, this also includes blackberry services if you require, it is not an ongoing contract, it can be done month by month on pre paid, most Telewiz shops or AIS call center can help you out.

Hi,

Do you know if these GPRS packages are still available and if there is any monthly unlimited package now ?

Thanks.

I have an AIS 12call Edge 'aircard'. Cost be 1700 baht, and the pre-pay per month is 700 (650 plus tax) for unlimited usage. No contract involved, just pay (in advance) as you require. I'm with Kasikorn and can pay thru any of their ATMs.

Down-side for me is the slow speeds, am currently rural and some days lucky to get a signal at all, extremely slow for graphics, you tube etc almost impossible.

On Phuket I'd hope the signal strength would be better.

Hi,

Do you know if these GPRS packages are still available and if there is any monthly unlimited package now ?

Thanks.

I have an AIS 12call Edge 'aircard'. Cost be 1700 baht, and the pre-pay per month is 700 (650 plus tax) for unlimited usage. No contract involved, just pay (in advance) as you require. I'm with Kasikorn and can pay thru any of their ATMs.

Down-side for me is the slow speeds, am currently rural and some days lucky to get a signal at all, extremely slow for graphics, you tube etc almost impossible.

On Phuket I'd hope the signal strength would be better.

When I was in Phuket I found AIS gprs to be better than the adsl most of the time :angry:

Was also good when I went to LAos, it still worked across the river as the Laos internet was terrible.

^ yes when we went to Sa Kaeo town (45km away) I had '4' sometimes '5' signal strength and was happy with that. Various people have suggested I get an aerial/booster but no one has told me just what this entails or where from. Any advice appreciated.

Coincidence - had a SMS to my 12call mobile this morning promoting AIS Edge Aircard - now just 1090 baht.

• 2 weeks later...

most little IT shops have Edge modems for around 800bht up. any AIS sim can use *138 service for mobile net packages. I think the service is great. I get 360 up (max) and 240 down, max. I have no complaints. I would be going mental if I had all the outages and problems of ADSL that are reported. I'd want to hit someone. The Edge solution is also totally portable so I think it ROCKS!!

I've used 12Call a lot for data. The USB modems are usually over 1,000 baht- I've just priced them at both Pantip and Fortune. Most have no brand name and this makes it very hard to update the firmware. I have two different models now and they worked OK with 2-3 bars signal strength in Sukhumvit Soi 22 area, but now that I live out near the Wongwian Yai BTS station I get 5 bars but it drops my connection all the time. Transfer speeds average 60K. It's an awful service. I have also used them for two years in eastern Thailand- no better there.

If you are lucky you live in an area that has a strong signal, but there is more to the equation than that. Some areas have limited bandwidth. Anyone who is getting 240 down consistently is likely in a high bandwidth allocation area, or they have a better modem than mine. Probably both are true. Still, consistently 240 down sounds like a wild exaggeration. I have used the service in the taxis all over Bangkok as well as other parts of the country and I've never seen speeds like this. The area surrounding Benjakitti Park is reputed to have the highest bandwidth allocation in the city and you will rarely get over 200K there.

If anyone has an idea on how to update firmware please post. If you have experience with a number of these USB modems your input would be most appreciated.

most little IT shops have Edge modems for around 800bht up. any AIS sim can use *138 service for mobile net packages. I think the service is great. I get 360 up (max) and 240 down, max. I have no complaints. I would be going mental if I had all the outages and problems of ADSL that are reported. I'd want to hit someone. The Edge solution is also totally portable so I think it ROCKS!!

• 1 year later...

Hi, I have 50 hours for 30 month GPRS package. It will expire in 2 days, and will ne renewed automatically. How to cancel this auto-renew?

Thanks

You can try calling *300 which gets you into the IVR system; I used this recently to cancel a 20 hour data plan, or if that is somehow not acceptable, call 1175, and work with an English speaking CSR.

I have cheated the system a bit by signing up for the monthly package. They automatically renew it every month and if there is not enough money on your SIM to renew the package, they automatically cancel your package.

I have cheated the system a bit by signing up for the monthly package. They automatically renew it every month and if there is not enough money on your SIM to renew the package, they automatically cancel your package.

This wasn't my recent experience. I had a One-2-Call monthly data package: 107 baht/20 hours for a few years which I wanted to cancel. I let my balance fall below 100 baht as the renewal date approached, but then I continued to receive daily SMSes (for 15 days until I called to cancel using *300) saying "the system cannot automatically renew your package at this time, it will try again later". I can only assume that had I added value greater than 107 baht the plan would have automatically renewed. And I wanted to subscribe to a different plan. Better to call, in my limited experience.

Edited by lomatopo

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have a 12Call data plan that they're happy with?

My friend just left me a True Netsim - which I slotted into my iphone. Wow - what a difference!

The first thing you notice is bling - a speed test showed I had 5.5GB download speed, and I posted a picture to facebook - it took me maybe 15 seconds to do a check-in!

The second thing you notice is constantly reconnecting - for me in Bangna, just going from my condo (3 bar signal strength) down to the door gets me disconnected and I have walked about 100 metres before it gets around to hooking up to True 3G again - but when you're connected it's damned good. I'd say actually worth paying for - whereas I cancelled all my net packages from AIS because they're just pants! I tried to do a check-in from Bangna-Trad road (where I get full True signal strength and speed) with 5 bar AIS signal on 3G and it took 3 attempts to get a photo to upload; long enough to miss the boat :P

I put my AIS sim in my old Nokia N70 (it just feels like a 'telephone' sim anyway) and True in the iphone... so now I have calls and internet.

Shame I didn't get a dual SIM phone...

Answering the question here - what's hard about calling 1175 and saying 'please cancel all my Net packages' ?

I asked her for a code to dial to cancel manually, and she said 'no, it's fine - I will do that for you'.