Thai Rainwater No Longer Safe To Drink

george

Rainwater 'no longer safe to drink'

Rainwater in Thailand is no longer safe for consumption, especially in the coastal provinces in the East, due to rising level of acidity caused by toxins from factories and traffic smog.

Citing a study sponsored by the Department of Pollution Control, a Kasetsart University lecturer said the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere had also risen, resulting in a change in the patฌtern and duration of the rainy season.

Asst Prof Suntharee Khunthong, also from Kasetsart University, said rainwater in Chiang Mai was often contaminated by dust particles from forest fires, while rainฌwater in Ayutthaya was more alkaline due to the many cement plants based there.

Wijarn Simachaya, a senior DPC official, said the level of acidity in rainwater in China was the highest among 11 Asian countries due mainly to massive coal minฌing operations. He added that the DPCsponsored research was conducted in five provinces in Thailand to further inspect the quality of rainwater.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-11

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Prevailing winds most often blow from west to east. The east of Thailand, gets most of its clouds from Central Thailand and Burma. Think about the types of things that are readily burned in those countries; plastics and dead people, among other things.

People who see the water that comes out of my water wells sometimes comment that it's not clean, because it's not crystal clear. I use no filters, so there's a smidgen of pulverized sand in the water. However, the water comes from deeper than usual wells, between 22 and 30 meters and I drink it, and it tasted better (to me) than store-bought bottled water.

Also, in many parts of Thailand, well water can be found at about 3 to 4 meters below grade (underground). If possible, it's better to drill deeper, in order to tap in to cleaner water further down. No less important than anything else, is conservation / using less of the stuff.

Currently, northernmost Thailand is waaaay below average on water levels, in rivers and in underground aquifers. The evidence of the coming drought isn't obvious now, but it will prove to be a problem in 6 months. Conserve, conserve, conserve.

Edited by brahmburgers

Prevailing winds most often blow from west to east. The east of Thailand, gets most of its clouds from Central Thailand and Burma. Think about the types of things that are readily burned in those countries; plastics and dead people, among other things.

People who see the water that comes out of my water wells sometimes comment that it's not clean, because it's not crystal clear. I use no filters, so there's a smidgen of pulverized sand in the water. However, the water comes from deeper than usual wells, between 22 and 30 meters and I drink it, and it tasted better (to me) than store-bought bottled water.

Also, in many parts of Thailand, well water can be found at about 3 to 4 meters below grade (underground). If possible, it's better to drill deeper, in order to tap in to cleaner water further down. No less important than anything else, is conservation / using less of the stuff.

Currently, northernmost Thailand is waaaay below average on water levels, in rivers and in underground aquifers. The evidence of the coming drought isn't obvious now, but it will prove to be a problem in 6 months. Conserve, conserve, conserve.

I would imagine the area to the east of the industrial areas of Samut Prakarn, Chonburi and Rayong to be some of the most unpleasant rainwater quality, along with the areas in the North of Thailand that receive Chinese industrial pollution and general forest fire gunk on the northeast monsoon each dry season. So getting your drinking water from deep wells makes a lot of sense (if you can afford it, that is).

The reality for most rural Thais is that they get their drinking water either from rainwater collected from the roof or in some areas, still from shallow wells. The richer ones buy it from the water sellers who may use shallow or deep wells or just filter plain tap water to get their product. For most people, the options aren't great as the govt provides insufficient consumer protection on drinking water.

Acid rain by itself is not dangerous to consumers (unless the pH is below around 4), but it's the type of trace elements and pollutants found in the water that is of most concern healthwise. I recently bought a cheap kettle and followed the instructions to boil the water several times before actual use. Did this and yet the boiled water is still giving off a plasticky taste and aroma. Makes coffee and tea undrinkable so have stopped using it. I guess there are small amounts of plastic dissolving into the water during each boiling cycle. Knowing that PVC and other plastics have been linked to elevated cancer risk, this has got to be a major concern, given that these cheap kettles are on sale all over Thailand. Anybody out there with specific knowledge on the subject know what sort of risks one is being exposed to from use of such kettles?

Brahmburgers is spot on about the need to conserve water over this coming dry season. The reservoirs here in Isaan are also incredibly low for the end of the rainy season, suggesting that water will be depleted much sooner than 6 months. Trouble is, such situations are likely to lead to a knee-jerk reaction by govt to just build more dams and reservoirs, without addressing some of the underlying structural problems of poor water management and conservation, and actually causing more problems than they solve. The need to use water wisely and sparingly is still the best advice during periods of scarcity. :)

Cant be much worse then Lao Kow!? :)

And this earth shattering "news item" - amidst all else going on - is probably going to lead to a certain gentleman seeing a business opportunity to increase his price of water. :D

At least the issue of free water is funny and can be discussed. Come on Kevin give us a rerun. It's legit now that you advertise. That old thread must rate as a TV classic.

I recently bought a cheap kettle and followed the instructions to boil the water several times before actual use. Did this and yet the boiled water is still giving off a plasticky taste and aroma. Makes coffee and tea undrinkable so have stopped using it. I guess there are small amounts of plastic dissolving into the water during each boiling cycle. Knowing that PVC and other plastics have been linked to elevated cancer risk, this has got to be a major concern, given that these cheap kettles are on sale all over Thailand. Anybody out there with specific knowledge on the subject know what sort of risks one is being exposed to from use of such kettles?

I use only japan-made stainless steel whistling kettle with my gas stove. Price range from Bt800-1100 depending on capacity.

who's crazy enough to drink rainwater.... 20 years ago in belgium when i was a kid, i remember my mother telling me to never drink rainwater, full of poison especially due to charcoal burning to produce electricity.

What about these 20 lltr bottles,you buy for 10 baht,are they safe?

I only pay 9 baht :) & I havent died from drinking them yet, although no doubt if test properly they would be far from perfect.

If your feeling destructive cut one of them in half and feel how 'slippery' they are inside.

I heard they get cleaned out about once a year.

Still, never did me any harm.....yet.

What about these 20 lltr bottles,you buy for 10 baht,are they safe?

I only pay 9 baht :D & I havent died from drinking them yet, although no doubt if test properly they would be far from perfect.

Such drinking water is good for you. Helps your body build up immunity.... :)

This has been the case in England for many years.

I`ve no doubts that Thai rain water has also been unfit for human consumption for several years, but only now are the authorities admitting it.

This is the sort of world we have created and I can`t see anything improving in the foreseeable future.