Bungalow Construction

slashnunn

Hello-

I am considering building a small bungalow resort in Phuket but I'm having a hard time finding information on construction in the area.

Does anyone have any information or experience with this? I'm mainly looking for pricing, construction time, and recommended construction companies.

The bungalows would be pretty simple and basic.

Thanks,

Dave

The cheaper option will be not to use a construction company, especially not one which is catering for (preying on) foreigners.

It is impossible to calculate exactly beforehand how much a large construction project will cost, and the construction company will calculate in such a way that they come out with a generous profit, also if costs turn out higher than they expected.

They will be cutting corners, using cheap materials and not doing certain things that should be done, and you might notice this only some time after the building project has been finished.

Go and look for somebody who can can put together a team of building labourers, preferably they will be people who are working for him regularly. Agree on a price for the work to be done, and purchase the building materials yourself. If the building foreman purchases for you, a percentage will be added.

Pay them in installments due when certain things are finished, but take care, often they will keep on asking for advance payments before the installment is due, and they will leave when not much money but a lot of work is still left.

If you agree on paying them by the day, they might work slowly.

During the construction you should always be there, to make sure that things are done properly, like bathroom floors being tiled in such a way that water is flowing off direction drainage pipe.

To give you a pointer about labour costs: a Thai construction worker is paid about 300 Baht per day.

Hi Dave-in-Phuket,

You should drop a quick PM to me.

Maybe I can help you save a lot of $$ and headaches.

There's a totally new and very efficient construction system available.

If you're talking about small & basically 'simple' resort-units; you could be very well served with this new concept.

Since you're probably NOT going to be owning the land; one added advantage here is, that you can easily (and in 1 piece) re-locate the accommodation units; hence you are protecting your capital lay-out 100%. There are many more advantages:

1. Extremely well insulated: less a/c costs.

2. Construction-time on site is very short, sine most of the actual work is done before-hand (pre-fab. in factory).

3. Environmentally-friendly building materials used (tourists love Eco-Resorts)

4. Many more advantages

Pm me and I'll point you in the right direction, okay ?

Cheers,

JGK

• 1 month later...
Back to the OP's question, prices and quality can vary greatly here, so make sure you inspect all previous work done and speak to the people that had the work done for their feedback.

Depends on the quality and lifetime you want. No concretebeams and using steel columns is good for 10-15 years, and cheap to build extremely fast.

Maybe you may want to consider the ROI now that Tune Hotels is building 44 hotels on Phuket..they are franchised so maybe that would be a better option.

Their prices are a la Air Asia it seems ...around $20 for 5 star quality!

yeep, ROI is changing rapidly. Ibis alreay opened a few, and Tune moving in. all less than 1000 baht most nights of the year for high quality rooms.

Edited by katabeachbum

Maybe you may want to consider the ROI now that Tune Hotels is building 44 hotels on Phuket..they are franchised so maybe that would be a better option.

Their prices are a la Air Asia it seems ...around $20 for 5 star quality!

Tune Hotels are opening 44 hotels throughout Asia, not Phuket. Half in Thailand with the first in Phuket due to open in 2013 so I don't think it will quite be the end for the smaller accommodation operators in Phuket. If the 2010 'high' season doesn't do the job first, that is!

Can't be bothered to insert a link but do a google search for more info.

Tune Hotels are opening 44 hotels throughout Asia, not Phuket. Half in Thailand with the first in Phuket due to open in 2013 so I don't think it will quite be the end for the smaller accommodation operators in Phuket. If the 2010 'high' season doesn't do the job first, that is!

Number of hotel/guesthouse rooms is increasing rapidly in every segment, while number of tourists is not increasing. That impacts ROI.

Number of hotel/guesthouse rooms is increasing rapidly in every segment, while number of tourists is not increasing. That impacts ROI.

I'm not disputing that. You are absolutely right but there will still be room for the foreseeable future for the small guesthouse/hostel operation but the pricing may have to be more competitive and therefore the ROI will reduce, perhaps significantly. At the moment because of the date it is peak season so room prices are at their highest despite the fact that many places are less than half full.

This is well off the original topic now but I for one would not want to start up a new accommodation business right now.