US Final Interview Fees

My thai-national fiance is going for her final interview in about 10 days.(Bangkok) She was told from other people that she might have to pay a 7000THB fee once approved. This is for a K-1 visa to come to the U.S.A.. My question is.....Is there any hidden fees like that??/ The $455 was paid here in the U.S. and I am surprised if there are any more fees. Anyones help will be appreciated.

On Oct 9th, my fiancee and I went to the post office to pay the $131 fee. The post office also charged us for the pin number which was not necessary since the Embassy already scheduled the appt.....NO OTHER FEES WERE PAID. After the visa was approved she went two days later and picked it up. They did give her a big envelope (perhaps the forms previously submitted to USCIS...) and told her to bring it her and give to US Immigration. They will give her instructions at the US Embassy...

GOOD LUCK :):D:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... My wife's visa is a CR1, not K1, but I logged on to check something similar.

I paid a $355 fee when I filed with DHS (locally, here in Thailand) on August 21, 2009.

My wife's interview was November 19, 2009, and they charged her 2 more fees, $355 (receipt says "IV APPLICATION") and $45 (receipt says "IV SURCHARGE."). There was nothing in the paperwork that said my wife would need to pay an additional fee at her interview (so I didn't tell her to bring money, and she had to leave the Embassy to get it, then return to pay), and because both fees were $355, it appears to me that they double-charged us for the same thing...

Hmm... My wife's visa is a CR1, not K1, but I logged on to check something similar.

I paid a $355 fee when I filed with DHS (locally, here in Thailand) on August 21, 2009.

My wife's interview was November 19, 2009, and they charged her 2 more fees, $355 (receipt says "IV APPLICATION") and $45 (receipt says "IV SURCHARGE."). There was nothing in the paperwork that said my wife would need to pay an additional fee at her interview (so I didn't tell her to bring money, and she had to leave the Embassy to get it, then return to pay), and because both fees were $355, it appears to me that they double-charged us for the same thing...

For Immigrant Visas filed locally there are more fees that must be paid compared to a K1 or K3. The reason for this is due to the fact that local filings bypass the National Visa Center (bypassing NVC also partially accounts for the substantial difference in processing time). The National Visa Center charges an Immigrant visa fee of $400 USD and a $70 affidavit of support fee.

The Embassy charges these fees in place of the NVC, but it comes out to slightly less if one submits a local filing and pays the immigrant visa fees through the Embassy.

As always, it is important to remember that there are two different agencies involved in this process each with their own procedures and fees.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal