Most Bangkokians Fear Of Bomb Attacks

george

DO YOU FEAR OF ATTACKS IN BANGKOK?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Most Bangkokians fear of bomb attacks

BANGKOK: -- Most people living in Bangkok and its surrounding areas have conceded that they are afraid of bomb attacks, according to a recent survey.

The survey, conducted by Assumption University, showed that most of respondents, or 56.1 percent, were afraid of possible bomb attacks in the capital and its peripheral areas, while 43.9 percent said they did not fear.

The majority of the respondents, or 61.4 percent, said they have no confidence in security measures imposed currently at the country's airports, while only 23.9 percent said oppositely and 14.7 percent declined to give any comments.

More interestingly, although most of the people interviewed agreed with reinforced security measures at airports and other public places, they said they did not believe that dignitaries, namely cabinet members, would willingly allow any thorough check-ups by airport staff or security officers.

The ABAC Poll interviewed 1,471 people on the random basis between 5-6 April, a couple of days after three bomb attacks in Hat Yai--Thailand's southern business hub in Songkhla Province, with the Hat Yai Airport, the Dream World Palace Hotel and the France-based Carrefour Supermarket being the targets of unidentified insurgents, leading to two people dead and more than 60 others injured totally.

--TNA 2005-04-07

Actually, this is one of those ambiguous questions that I don't really know how to answer. Does 'fear bomb attacks" mean expect bomb attacks? or does it mean worry about bomb attacks.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised by bomb attacks here in Bangkok, but I don't really worry about it too much. The odds of being killed in a terrorist attack are very very slight. I worry more about being killed while riding one of the little green busses!

The impact of terrorist acts are usually way out of proportion to their actual severity. When people allow the fear of terrorist acts to determine how they live their lives they have effectively given the terrorists a victory.

A great American president once said, "we have nothing to fear but fear itself". He was referring to economic problems, not terrorism, but the words are true now, more than ever. Unfortunately, I don't see a leader with that kind of vision and courage now leading Thailand or any other country that I have lived in.

BANGKOK: -- Most people living in Bangkok and its surrounding areas have conceded that they are afraid of bomb attacks, according to a recent survey.

The survey, conducted by Assumption University, showed that most of respondents, or 56.1 percent, were afraid of possible bomb attacks in the capital and its peripheral areas, while 43.9 percent said they did not fear.

The majority of the respondents, or 61.4 percent, said they have no confidence in security measures imposed currently at the country's airports, while only 23.9 percent said oppositely and 14.7 percent declined to give any comments.

The ABAC Poll interviewed 1,471 people on the random basis between 5-6 April,.

Nice idea to piggyback a TV poll with ABAC, George. Assuming ABAC doesn't solicit foreigners imput on their polls, it'll be interesting to see if both groups of people have the same opinion. Would be nice to see more of these in the future when an appropriate topic is polled.

It will be difficult to get their polling numbers, however....

but maybe TV can prove me wrong.... afterall.... if only 10% of TV members reply, we'll have it beaten.

Nana Plaza worries me the most. Not that I go there.

It's a target for many reasons - foreigners, sleaze being the main ones.

Also - it's set up ideally for a bombing - one in the middle would wipe the place out.

Agreed. I actually got scanned with a metal detector just entering the airport building yesterday. But even though I had a small digital camera in my trouser pocket, AND it set off the beeper, the guy didn't ask to have a look :D Or ask if I was just happy to see him :o

Definitely Phuket

(though I agree with Nana being a prime Bkk taget - if only because of proximity to Soi 3)

Phuket, because they would want to take the bomb by hand - and be en route as briefly as possible - and they are too lazy to drive all the way to Bangkok.

Passed Central Ladprao on my way home tonight, noticed police cars and bomb squad guys. Later watched TV and heard there was a false alarm.

Yes, I'm worried about bomb attacks, as a mall rat who goes to shopping centers about 3 times a week. (No, I'm not filthy rich, just a poor shopaholic who at times can get her fix from just window-shopping. :o)

LOL... thanks for the concern :D

To add to that, it really bugs me that the news said that while they were investigating the bag that was suspected to be a bomb, THEY DID NOT WARN PEOPLE! :D Onlookers were told that a soap (lakorn) was being filmed! To me that is shameful, management only concerned about the impact on the business. :D

(Reminds me a bit about our Mr.T, 2 years ago he scolded the guy who came out and warned about a possible tsunami, saying such talk was nonsense that would only hurt the tourism industry! :o)

I agree with The Moog. Definitely Phuket. I haven't visited there post-tsunami, but prior to that I got the feeling that as a farang (Australian), I wasn't wanted there. I am always well dressed and polite to everybody but whether it's the large Muslim population compared to the rest of Thailand, I didn't feel as safe as I feel in BKK, Pattaya or Issan.

Peter

How can Bangkokians have a fear of bomb attacks? They haven't been attacked yet, and anyway Bangkokians demonstrate their fearlessness everyday by taking private buses, such as number 30, 56, 203 and 33. These drivers are seemingly employed by the separatist movement with the dastardly aim of wiping out a considerable part of the Bangkok population. Not only do they attempt to run down innocent Buddhist pedestrians and cause heart seizures amongst their trusting passengers; but they also release clouds of obnoxious black exhaust pipe fumes at every press of the accelerator pedal, slowly but surely condemning the Bangkokian to an early crematorium.

Agreed. I actually got scanned with a metal detector just entering the airport building yesterday. But even though I had a small digital camera in my trouser pocket, AND it set off the beeper, the guy didn't ask to have a look :D Or ask if I was just happy to see him :o

Doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in their level of training to detect and deter REAL terrorists, does it? Your camera could have just as easily been something far more sinister.... :D:D

How can Bangkokians have a fear of bomb attacks? They haven't been attacked yet, and anyway Bangkokians demonstrate their fearlessness everyday by taking private buses, such as number 30, 56, 203 and 33. These drivers are seemingly employed by the separatist movement with the dastardly aim of wiping out a considerable part of the Bangkok population. Not only do they attempt to run down innocent Buddhist pedestrians and cause heart seizures amongst their trusting passengers; but they also release clouds of obnoxious black exhaust pipe fumes at every press of the accelerator pedal, slowly but surely condemning the Bangkokian to an early crematorium.

Well, I think I'd prefer that to being blown to bits while doing my weekly jogging in and out of shops with SALE signs on the window!

Edited by siamesekitty

LOL... thanks for the concern  :D

To add to that, it really bugs me that the news said that while they were investigating the bag that was suspected to be a bomb, THEY DID NOT WARN PEOPLE!  :D Onlookers were told that a soap (lakorn) was being filmed! To me that is shameful, management only concerned about the impact on the business. :D 

(Reminds me a bit about our Mr.T, 2 years ago he scolded the guy who came out and warned about a possible tsunami, saying such talk was nonsense that would only hurt the tourism industry! :o)

It's the same situation as RDN's airport telephone. If the personnel responsible for our safety haven't a clue.... either from lack of proper training or just poorly executing their duties or whatever the reason, then the whole "security net" around BKK and elsewhere right now is pointless. Security is a highly evolving and technical affair and if it's not done properly it has NO value. If people are lied to, they will have no confidence in the security provided. If they are not even told to avoid the area, it's scandalous. IF it had been a bomb and IF it had exploded, killing dozens or even hundreds instead of perhaps none, if they had evacuated the area, then it INDEED is the same as the very latest devastating tsunami. By deceiving the public through misinformation, or indeed no information, many more perished than was necessary...

Well, I think I'd prefer that to being blown to bits while doing my weekly jogging in and out of shops with SALE signs on the window!

It's an additional concern to all the other hazards of BKK daily living, not in lieu of any, Bannork. Something more to be stressed and concerned about, especially in light of the poor job that this so-called "security net" is doing.

How likely is it to occur? Who knows, but there certainly seems to be a trend to target other areas... and it's not as if the do decide to hit Phuket first, that they'll stop. Even if Phuket is the next target.... BKK won't be far off on their list.

Passed Central Ladprao on my way home tonight, noticed police cars and bomb squad guys. Later watched TV and heard there was a false alarm.

Yes, I'm worried about bomb attacks, as a mall rat who goes to shopping centers about 3 times a week. (No, I'm not filthy rich, just a poor shopaholic who at times can get her fix from just window-shopping. :o)

Found some news about your incident, Siamesekitty.

Box sparks city bomb scare

Published on Apr 07 , 2005

A suspicious-looking box left unattended inside a Bangkok shopping mall last night caused a major bomb scare.

The incident occurred in the midst of mounting concerns about a violent attack in the capital, following triple bombings in Songkhla on Sunday.

Television stations had the nation on the edge of its seat with live reports from Central Plaza Lat Phrao.

Security guards at the shopping plaza alerted police after they found a heavy brown cardboard box left in front of a Kipling outlet on the second floor of the shopping centre.

Guards quickly scanned it with a metal detector and the instrument's response spurred them to call the bomb squad.

Police sealed the area off for about an hour and, with the use of an X-ray machine, concluded the box contained no explosives.

Three 1.5-litre bottles of water and some newspapers were found inside the box, according to Metropolitan Police deputy commissioner Maj-General Jetn Mongkolhathi, who inspected the scene and oversaw the operation.

He said the fact the box responded to a metal detector might have been because the security guard used the device near a metal object.

AGAIN, an example of the poor level of true security perfomance. If they don't even know how to use a metal detector properly, how can we have confidence in any of there duties?

Shops nearby closed their doors for the rest of the day, but in the rest of the centre it was business as usual, even while police bomb-disposal experts worked.

VERY GOOD idea... Wait until a real bomb DOES go off before stopping people from shopping. Don't evacuate the building, it's bad for the day's receipts.

Shoppers were urged through the mall's public-address system to remain calm after the building's maintenance division cut the power off in the area where the box was found.

"Attention Shoppers: Don't be alarmed... we're just testing the electrical grid."

Central Plaza officials remianed tight-lipped throughout the incident. But that was not enough to stop television stations from going on air with breaking news about another possible terrorist attack, less than a week after suspected Islamic insurgents planted bombs at three locations in Songkhla: Hat Yai International Airport, a retail store, and a hotel.

Two people were killed in those explosions and scores of others injured.

Next?

To take over Thailand and convert all to Islam they will first attack the economy

starting with tourism i would bet. After the economy falls they can sink in their filthy

claws. Look how it spread through africa, indonesia, phillipines etc, poor buggers.

Whats the whole catylist here? Well Islam is somewhat like Christianity where

they believe Mohammed/Allah will come back in a Rapture and reward all

good Muslims with 72 Virgins, pots of gold, 6 camels etc.

But there is a condition before Mohammed will return with the girls/loot.

The condition is "All the people of the world must be Muslim or DEAD"

If you cannot convert - well we see the alternate choice playing out around

the world.

Doesn't exactly instill a lot of confidence in their level of training to detect and deter REAL terrorists, does it? Your camera could have just as easily been something far more sinister.... :D:D

How much C4 can you pack into a 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 3" camera body?

How much C4 can you pack into a 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 3" camera body?

That much nitro-glycerin, for example, would blow the walls out, collapsing the roof....

There's a whole host of new explosive compounds of similiar strength.

C4 is modelling clay compared to some of them.

Actually, this is one of those ambiguous questions that I don't really know how to answer.  Does 'fear bomb attacks" mean expect bomb attacks?  or does it mean worry about bomb attacks. 

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised by bomb attacks here in Bangkok, but I don't really worry about it too much.  The odds of being killed in a terrorist attack are very very slight.  I worry more about being killed while riding one of the little green busses! 

The impact of terrorist acts are usually way out of proportion to their actual severity.  When people allow the fear of terrorist acts to determine how they live their lives they have effectively given the terrorists a victory.

A great American president once said, "we have nothing to fear but fear itself".  He was referring to economic problems, not terrorism, but the words are true now, more than ever.  Unfortunately, I don't see a leader with that kind of vision and courage now leading Thailand or any other country that I have lived in.

All the great leaders are gone. We will have to wait until things get end of the world bad before we see a great leader again. It always works that way.

Found some news about your incident, Siamesekitty.

Box sparks city bomb scare

Published on Apr 07 , 2005

A suspicious-looking box left unattended inside a Bangkok shopping mall last night caused a major bomb scare.

The incident occurred in the midst of mounting concerns about a violent attack in the capital, following triple bombings in Songkhla on Sunday.

Television stations had the nation on the edge of its seat with live reports from Central Plaza Lat Phrao...

Thanks sriracha john. :D

This bomb scare thing is really putting a damper on my Songkran holiday. :o I've been planning to have a few nice leisurely days in a quiet Bangkok (which is rare), strolling around Jatujak and shopping malls, working out, etc.. Now I'm having second thoughts..

This bomb scare thing is really putting a damper on my Songkran holiday.  :o I've been planning to have a few nice leisurely days in a quiet Bangkok (which is rare), strolling around Jatujak and shopping malls, working out, etc.. Now I'm having second thoughts..

So karma and mai pen rai not really apply to you?

This bomb scare thing is really putting a damper on my Songkran holiday.  :o I've been planning to have a few nice leisurely days in a quiet Bangkok (which is rare), strolling around Jatujak and shopping malls, working out, etc.. Now I'm having second thoughts..

Well, I don't think I've done anything bad enough to deserve getting my head blown off by a bomb, and it's definitely NOT 'mai pen rai' if this happens while I am supposed to be enjoying the longest holiday of the year in Thailand!

Well, I don't think I've done anything bad enough to deserve getting my head blown off by a bomb, and it's definitely NOT 'mai pen rai' if this happens while I am supposed to be enjoying the longest holiday of the year in Thailand!

You're right. I was more thinking along the line that there are +10 million people in Bangkok. If you happen to be one of those unfortunately to be bombed I would accept it as karma. Chance of being one of ten million is small so mai pen rai, no need to worry.

karma, shmarma and m.p.rai is only thing that applies. nothing else, as long as there's real threat of terror. I hope police will re-adjust their activity and things will get better - there's huge experience from such things. Until then - I hope nothing will happen