Rental Contracts

In relation to another of my posts:

What are the common pitfalls/tricks of contracts that one should be aware of in BKK/Thailand?

Is it worth/necessary to have the contract checked by a lawyer or will a Thai friend suffice?

Considering how morally bankrupt London estate agents and landlords can be, I would expect nothing less from their BKK brethren!

Oh well, I'm the paranoid type.

I say that any contract draft handed over to you by a developer would be biased in the developer's favour. A well worded contract should be balanced and take into account both parties interests, period! So why should you accept a draft from the developer as it is without amending it so that your right are accounted for? You are the buyer right!

Also, use a good Bangkok law firm and stay away from anyone recommended by the developer.

Be prepared to loose your deposit as very few are returned in this land of scams.

Most Thai's spend the deposit within days of receiving it so the chance of having it returned are slim.

Your bog standard Thai rental agreement states very little other than the fact that you agree to pay x amount of money per month to the owner for a period of not less than twelve months.

Bear in mind that anyone leasing accommodation in Thailand should be paying 15% tax on rental money received.

A good weapon if you have serious problems with you landlord/landlady.

Threaten them with the tax-man and your deposit should be returned.

Keep all evidence of your stay as proof.

Be prepared to loose your deposit as very few are returned in this land of scams.

Most Thai's spend the deposit within days of receiving it so the chance of having it returned are slim.

Your bog standard Thai rental agreement states very little other than the fact that you agree to pay x amount of money per month to the owner for a period of not less than twelve months.

Bear in mind that anyone leasing accommodation in Thailand should be paying 15% tax on rental money received.

Threaten them with the tax man sounds a good idea!

Where do do you contact the "Thai taxman" to report these people? Is there a hotline, as in some European countries?

Where do do you contact the "Thai taxman" to report these people? Is there a hotline, as in some European countries?

1. make sure you have a copy of the landlord's Thai ID

2. you should pay the rent via bank deposit to landlord's account, and keep these bank confirmation receipts. If you pay cash directly to landlord, you should get a receipt from landlord everytime you pay your rent.

3. Thailand Revenue Department

2. you should pay the rent via bank deposit to landlord's account, and keep these bank confirmation receipts. If you pay cash directly to landlord, you should get a receipt from landlord everytime you pay your rent.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a good way of making things really personal very quickly. Be sure this is a fight you want to have before you do this. For every way that you can mess with your landlord, there are about 5 way that he/she can mess with you.

This has been the standard of all my lease agreements with my tenants. A copy of ID/passport of both parties attached to the lease agreement.

Payment of rent through bank deposits - a time saver for the landlord.

The only written receipt is for the security deposit paid at the time of signing the lease agreement.

I used to think that all rental contracts are the same. I had problems with the air conditioner in my place and found out that the owner had written in a provision that the tenant is responsible for all repairs to the premises including appliances. Even though the air conditioner is over 10 years old, they expected me to pay for repairs. I ended up negotiating to pay for half the repairs including freon replacement(twice over 6 months now). Its a ridiculous provision but since I signed the contract, I have no choice but to pay up.

Edited by mauiguy90

I used to think that all rental contracts are the same. I had problems with the air conditioner in my place and found out that the owner had written in a provision that the tenant is responsible for all repairs to the premises including appliances. Even though the air conditioner is over 10 years old, they expected me to pay for repairs. I ended up negotiating to pay for half the repairs including freon replacement(twice over 6 months now). Its a ridiculous provision but since I signed the contract, I have no choice but to pay up.

One should never ever sign a contract one hasn't read and understood. Both parties may during the negotiation phase suggest any clause what so ever be part of the contract as long as the clause in question doesn't violate the applicable law. It is that simple.